Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

dammit, this would have been the first full price game i bought in a looooooong while.

Vincente

Arbiter
I really wish they kept the reveal trailer's theme, I was looking forward to playing an all-IG squad FPS.

They have yet to deliver a versus for vermintide.
Versus for Vermintide would suck really bad, maps are too long, some of the special enemies like Blightstormer(can spawn out of map bounds) and Ratling Gunner (can shoot through half the walls in the game) are way too over powered. Also bosses can single-handedly wipe teams if they know what they are doing.

ADL

Prophet
Any news on this one?
They have a Microsoft marketing deal so it could show up on the 20th anniversary stream today or it'll show up during The Game Awards or another unannounced Microsoft event in December.

Q1 2022 is packed to the brim so I'm guessing Summer 2022 release at the earliest.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just heard about this. My group and I had plenty of good fun with V2. If they just did V2 again in a different setting it'd be worth a buy imo - looking forward to seeing whether/how they improve the formula.

GreyViper

Prophet
The problem is while Chaos Wastes was well done, the last update was so bad it broke the game, nerfed stuff that didn't need to be nerfed and they didn't replace their nerfs with anything interesting. In an amusing move, they also nerfed one or two of their paid DLCs so people would have no need to get that DLC. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
So as always do not pre-order and wait for reviews after the first few weeks. Also, get it at a discount sale when there is more content out. :D

Reever

Scholar
Patron
The problem is while Chaos Wastes was well done, the last update was so bad it broke the game, nerfed stuff that didn't need to be nerfed and they didn't replace their nerfs with anything interesting. In an amusing move, they also nerfed one or two of their paid DLCs so people would have no need to get that DLC. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
So as always do not pre-order and wait for reviews after the first few weeks. Also, get it at a discount sale when there is more content out. :D
Indeed, Fatshark is famous for having horrible launches and introducing more bugs in updates than removing them. That being said, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this specific update since it's probably only a skeleton crew working on it and most of the devs are working to get Darktide out. It's probably why it had mostly just sanctioned mods being introduced in the base game.
As for the nerfs, reddit and their forums always cried about sister of the thorn being OP and not fitting the "support" role the devs wanted. Which she probably was, but it's a co-op game. Who gives a shit. There are also a lot of careers that are considered weak and they never get buffed in a meaningful way.

ADL

Prophet
Warhammer 40K Darktide takes the Destiny 2 approach to its campaign
One of the most notable changes is to how the campaign is structured. In Vermintide, there was a set campaign with set missions, but in Darktide we’re getting a dynamic, live service-esque campaign that will continue each week as your group of four misfits explore the game’s world in a meta narrative similar to how Destiny 2 is presented. You will still embark on missions, but we’ll see them added and changed over time based on what’s happening in the meta story.
https://www.theloadout.com/warhammer-darktide/campaign-destiny-2

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
the article said:
Warhammer 40K Darktide is launching on Game Pass on day one, but its release date has been pushed back to late summer, so we’ll have to make it through the next few months before taking on the forces of Chaos.

Well that's some good news at least for us Gamepass consumers. Not sure whether the other news is incline or decline tbh, because I did get bored of running the same missions. Plus there's always some that are easier so they always end up being the ones that people run regularly, leading to more tedium.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I've seen some people say the article quoted above is clickbait and that based on the description it's going to be something more akin to Deep Rock Galactic (which I don't know what that means since I never played it). Not sure how much is true since the original article is paid garbage.
Here's a summary of the article I found on plebbit though
hv8BAYQ.png

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had an argument with a guy on Steam forums over the difference between "game as service" and "post-release support". It was all very tiresome.

Agree Reever that there may be hope that this will have post-release support, which is the model DRG uses.

Beowulf

Arcane
It means that there will be updates adding new lore/dialogue, while you replay the same levels. Doesn't really change anything.

Enemy spawns and bosses could be changed as well.
But DRG is far superior in this regard.

Vermintide games were massively popular at their respective launches mostly due to Warhammer Fantasy atmosphere and presentation, that Fatshark did really well, not because of their superb LMB clicking mechanics and tons of bugs.
I guess the same will happen to Darktide. It will be fun to do a casual romp through the levels from time to time, but the game will grow stale and player numbers will drop.
I appreciate that they tried to revitalize V2 with new classes, but the base game has some irredeemable design choices that drag the game down.

Besides - Fatshark proved that they can be straight out lying developer with scummy money grabbing practices. I doubt the management changed much.

It means that there will be updates adding new lore/dialogue, while you replay the same levels. Doesn't really change anything.

Vermintide games were massively popular at their respective launches mostly due to Warhammer Fantasy atmosphere and presentation, that Fatshark did really well, not because of their superb LMB clicking mechanics and tons of bugs.
I guess the same will happen to Darktide. It will be fun to do a casual romp through the levels from time to time, but the game will grow stale and player numbers will drop.
I appreciate that they tried to revitalize V2 with new classes, but the base game has some irredeemable design choices that drag the game down.

Besides - Fatshark proved that they can be straight out lying developer with scummy money grabbing practices. I doubt the management changed much.
dammit dude, i wanted to buy this =_=

Beowulf

Arcane

dammit dude, i wanted to buy this =_=

Don't let random and unknown internet strangers opinions stop you from spending your money.

Dr1f7

Scholar
idk fartshark is pretty based i think. they're the only dev I know of making good co-op games. without VT1 and 2 I'd be stuck with just L4D and sven for my co-op fix. Those are great but it's nice to have a scenery change now and then

Hope this game turns up

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Warhammer 40K Darktide takes the Destiny 2 approach to its campaign
One of the most notable changes is to how the campaign is structured. In Vermintide, there was a set campaign with set missions, but in Darktide we’re getting a dynamic, live service-esque campaign that will continue each week as your group of four misfits explore the game’s world in a meta narrative similar to how Destiny 2 is presented. You will still embark on missions, but we’ll see them added and changed over time based on what’s happening in the meta story.
https://www.theloadout.com/warhammer-darktide/campaign-destiny-2

:betrayed:

ADL

Prophet
Besides removing content because they can't compress their shit or manage to create a modular installer, I can't knock Bungie for their seasonal content. They do a really good job at it and moving the narrative forward between the yearly expansions. I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes as they did with Vermintide 2 because they really killed their own momentum with the console ports taking priority over actual content for people who bought the game on PC. That's the sort of thing they should've outsourced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom