Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Andnjord

Arcane
....ehm...why did nobody tell me there is an entire underground area under Leyendel? I went down a well and for the past two hours have been exploring what seems to be one of their best dungeons :lol:

Dhaze

Cipher
It's insane how fast you can shape a build once you know where everything is. It's one of the strongest points of the game, IMHO.

Much agreed. Unfortunately it does have the side effect of throwing a number of events/questlines a bit out of whack.

- Nepheli's summon sign was not in front of Godrick's fog gate when I reached that place. I'm guessing by rushing way ahead into the game, I triggered her departure from Stormveil despite never setting foot there.
- Likewise, Smithing Master Hewg talked to me about "That girl you brought," a.k.a. Roderika; only I had never met Roderika.
- Also, upon talking to him for the first time, White Mask Varré acted as if we were acquainted and I had followed his advice.
- And lastly, there was some annoyance related to Nepheli, Gideon, and Seluvis, in that Nepheli refused to drink the later's potion, then began sulking downstairs from Hewg's place, but Gideon refused to talk to me (likely because I had yet to acquire a Great Rune), so I couldn't progress at all with Seluvis who also refused to talk to me, thus I couldn't buy from him the Carian Retaliation spell I wanted. Meaning that in the end, what caused Godrick's downfall was not some grand scheme wrought by a superior, cosmic force—rather, I wanted a spell and killing the poor graft-maniac was the quickest way to get at it.

I quite like that setup. Of note, the Carian Grandeur ash of war is a bit busted, and Battlemage Hugues can be a veritable pancake machine when he gets to it.
One of my favorites. The powering-up in stages feels great.

Under certain circumstances it almost feels like cheating, frankly. If I get a backstab on an enemy, I can always charge Carian Grandeur to lvl.2 on wakeup, and promptly knock them down again—then repeat until death. If I can charge it to lvl.3, then slap another one shortly after (even only a lvl.2) it results almost systematically in their poise being broken.

Though doing that can showcase an annoying quirk of the game. Some enemies or variance of enemies have sped-up wakeup animation that look... wonky. For example if I knock a battlemage down, I have just the time to charge Carian Grandeur to lvl.3 and bring it crashing down before he can attack me again. But against Battlemage Hugues, I could barely charge it to lvl.2; and the animation of him getting back up on his feet is the same as a regular battlemage's, only the later half of that animation is greatly accelerated so that it looks as if he's suddenly springing up.

....ehm...why did nobody tell me there is an entire underground area under Leyendel? I went down a well and for the past two hours have been exploring what seems to be one of their best dungeons :lol:

As good as their open world can be at times, it unfortunately fell into the trappings inherent to the genre; but their 'legacy' dungeons remain strong as ever.

I only wish the enemy variety in later stages of the game was a bit better. Having explored Limgrave, Liurnia, and Caelid thoroughly before reaching Leyndel's underground, I didn't see any common enemy unique to that dungeon (at least I think.)

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Damn, the blocked path after Mohg, the Omen is a whole new area. I made it down to the blind girl (apparently i could visit the three fingers and rescident the ending with the needle but for now i'm going to leave it alone) and now there's another area with roots and ants.

The amount of content in this game is starting to make my head spin. It was so long ago i started the game it almost feels like i'm playing a new one, like i finished DS1 and i'm in the middle of DS2 now. So much time has passed Limegrave feels like eons ago.

[EDIT] Mohg's palace is a whole new area, fuuuuuuug

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
Brother Corhyn, while still in the Roundtable Hold — "Well, I'm gonna leave; Goldmask won't find himself. See ya. Or maybe not, eheh!"

And I have no option to tell him that I've already seen Goldmask. I swear to god, I despise the interactions with NPCs in this game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This is funny, from 4chan:

The whole tarnished thing is hilarious if you think about it
>be some random dude, live your life, die
>wake up in Zimbabwe
>a tribal shaman comes out of the woods, calls you bitchless and tells you to become president
>what?
>walk around a bit, a woman shows up while you're cooking canned beans over a campfire
>"here's your keys, the car is parked right there, go become president"
>what?
>the shaman shows up again and tells you to single handedly invade a fortified camp owned by a crazed warlord
>ok
>drive there with your beat-up Accord
>get relentlessly beat up by a giant nigga with a stick and a golden AK before you can even enter the warlord's camp
No wonder tarnished like Boggart didn't give a shit about becoming Elden Lord and decided to cook crab instead
Actually, I released that buddy from that cell, and now he became a mold for growing fungus. He should fight his way up, rather than cook a crab. At least Boggart left his bell ring, and now that cronne can cook the crab instead of him.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Just went back to the game after some months hiatus. I have "beaten" Radhan after some tries, and while the atmosphere of the fight was one of the best in the whole soul serie, the actual gameplay was lackluster, with many 1 or 2 shots moves and a high health bar. At the end i have cheesed him with summons and i ended by basically doing nothing, just evading ranged attacks on torrent and summoning phantoms when they were dead. I had previoulsy tried to solo him but i noticed how unfair the fight was in that way. Overall i'd give Radhan a 7,5/10 rating , excaptional atmosphere but bad gameplay.
I have enjoyed Godskin apostle much more. A genuinely hard fight where you have to learn the pattern and fair fight, reminding me older souls bosses

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho fuck blood birds lmao. Fuuuuuck that shit. Whipping out rotten breath and going on a stroll checking out the sites while they tick away.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had previoulsy tried to solo him but i noticed how unfair the fight was in that way.
The key to the Radahn fight is realizing that you can avoid all of his most dangerous combos by just staying as close to him as possible.

This is the second attempt on my SL1 run (the fight starts at 0:40 and lasts just a bit more than a minute):

His moves are all flash and no substance.

Andnjord

Arcane
and now there's another area with roots and ants.
:what:
....wait, really?
I thought I had completed it yesterday, killed Mogh, freed Dung Eater, found the three fingers (now Melina is pissed at me) and did the side catacomb with the Lord Of Blood's Exultation at the end, and now you're telling me "But wait! There's more!" again? :lol::lol:

This is a thing I appreciate so much about From's design philosophy, their willingness to make huge areas and tons of content completely missable. It took me until my third time through the magic Academy to discover the rooftop section (which is like a third of the total size of that dungeon) and had missed fully half of Leyndel. I mean, I knew I had missed something since the Dung Eater's red ghost told me to go there, but I did not expect anything of that scale.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Next to the blind girl there's an hidden wall with a chest, and behind the chest there's an hidden wall that leads back to the root area with the ants, the one where Fia's quest ends. It's a small extra section of that area, with some loot on the branches.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I mean, I knew I had missed something since the Dung Eater's red ghost told me to go there, but I did not expect anything of that scale.

There's also an extra catacomb section there.

And i turned the whole place inside out twice over and i still couldn't find a way to reach the corpse high up on the beam near where you first enter the whole area. So i went and google it and apparenlty you are not meant to get there until much later. Well, thanks, From.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I had previoulsy tried to solo him but i noticed how unfair the fight was in that way.
The key to the Radahn fight is realizing that you can avoid all of his most dangerous combos by just staying as close to him as possible.

This is the second attempt on my SL1 run (the fight starts at 0:40 and lasts just a bit more than a minute):

His moves are all flash and no substance.

dafuq if i was trying sonething like that he would have pulled some random bs right away, especially the side-step and attack or the side whorlwind attack. also bleed op but you played really well.
my weapon is the golden halberd and it does same damage ( at my current upgrade level ) of your sword but is much slower

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Whirling is easy. Roll twice, then pause for a second, then two more rolls.

Side-step you roll towards him.

And if you see him do that attack where he slams both weapons one after the other while walking forward, try to get behind him as you can punish that severly. If not, use the horse because you can't easily roll out of it.

Lastly, that attack he does where he pulls you in is basically free damage. Just go under his dick and get behind him every time he pulls you into his crotch. Free attacks.

Dhaze

Cipher
Radahn's fight is a good example of the fact that, against oversized enemies who can move a lot and sweep wide with their attacks, staying astride Torrent is mostly a terrible idea, counter-intuitive it may seem. With Torrent, we just don't have the tools to deal with what many ennemies can do; he needed a dodge of sort (a sort of spectral dash like Bloodhound Step would have been cool and appropriate.)

Same with the Fire Giant. Stay near-constantly beneath him, and all goes well.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The worst thing about Torrent is that it can't perform actions independently from your character, i.e. Torrent can't jump if you're currently performing an attack animation. I get that they probably wanted to remove all opportunities for exploiting animation cancelling, but Torrent is disabled when in multiplayer mode anyway, and open-world exploration is still very susceptible to other types of exploiting.

Torrent combat would've been 100% improved by allowing player to cancel attack animations by jumping, and giving your jumps some i-frames.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Whirling is easy. Roll twice, then pause for a second, then two more rolls.

Side-step you roll towards him.

And if you see him do that attack where he slams both weapons one after the other while walking forward, try to get behind him as you can punish that severly. If not, use the horse because you can't easily roll out of it.

Lastly, that attack he does where he pulls you in is basically free damage. Just go under his dick and get behind him every time he pulls you into his crotch. Free attacks.
thank you. by the way i meant another atttack with whirlwind. he did it fewer times but he basically rotate his weapons in circle and move to one side. he always hit me with that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It was five years ago since i thought him (or it feels like it lul) so i don't remember that one. You can check the shit show that was my fight with him for some pointers. Not sure if the move you are talking about shows up here or if i dodged it right, heh:

Both of those were practice runs so i wasn't too concerned about getting spanked. In order to keep the bleed going i had to try to be super aggressive but i don't think it was worth it.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, fucking hell i almost killed Mohg, Lord of Blood with wild strikes almost bypassing his second phase again. Bleed is frikking broken.

So i guess this is another gimmick fight where you have to use that Crystal Tear to survive his second phase?

Caim

Arcane
Lmao, fucking hell i almost killed Mohg, Lord of Blood with wild strikes almost bypassing his second phase again. Bleed is frikking broken.

So i guess this is another gimmick fight where you have to use that Crystal Tear to survive his second phase?
The Crystal Tear's purpose is to save a few swigs of your flask. So if your problem with Mohg is that your flask runs out before his health does, then give it a shot. If you die from the bleed effect rather than a healing deficiency try equipping the Stalwart Horn Charm to increase your tobustness and increase how much buildup you can have before the bleed activates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom