Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mindx2's PC game collection v3.0

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never say "goodbye" just "until we meet again"

When the world shut down in March 2020 I ended up with a lot of time on my hands (metaphorically speaking). No longer having to pay college tuition and nothing else to really spend money on with everything closed I needed to fill that void.

I still held onto most of my Kickstarter games but as some had failed to recapture those Glory Days (cue Springsteen) I made the mistake of looking through my old article on the Codex Top 74 PC RPGs "Boxed Edition" https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10010 and pining away at my lost grand collection. Well what better way to spend time (and $s) during the Apocalypse than to refill my empty gaming shelves with those beautiful, memorizing and fascinating gateways to other worlds we call computer games.

The following is the result from the last 2 years or so that I again want to share with all the old-timers that will appreciate it here at the Codex as well as show the young'ns what is missing in their all digital wasteland. :obviously:

Collection #01.jpg

Collection #02.jpg

Collection #03.jpg Collection #04.jpg Collection #05.jpg Collection #06.jpg Collection #07.jpg Collection #08.jpg Collection #09.jpg Collection #10.jpg Collection #11.jpg

As can be seen I've expanded beyond just the Top 74 and went for many other cRPGs from the past as well as adventure, FPS, strategy (to a limited extent), etc. So many of these boxes hold wonderful memories that every time I pull one from the shelf I remember my younger self opening the box for the first time to discover what treasures they contained...and smile.

A huge help was the use of these two resources that revealed many classics I had overlooked or simply forgotten about from the past. A big thanks to felipepepe and Matt Barton for their hard work and research).

Collection #12.jpg Collection #13.jpg (Except whoever that was who wrote the Ultima: Savage Empire review in the Crpg book...:roll:)

Unfortunately, I believe there will be some previous items I just won't be able to replace from past collections as they were either one-of-a-kind ( sir TimCain signed Arcunum map, newspaper and ToEE poster) or so rare I've only seen them once (Thief Gold strategy guide or the Dungeon Master sound adapter)!

Regardless, I am enjoying collecting these all over again and have started playing many for the 1st time. Right now the Amberstar map and manual are sitting on my desk as I am about to embark on a grand adventure!! :salute:

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Nice collection. 2 years means you must have thrown some money around or went quite a lot of bargain hunting

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice collection. 2 years means you must have thrown some money around or went quite a lot of bargain hunting
Well I was actually a little shocked at where the prices of boxed games are now! I sold my last collection at the wrong time because people are asking outrageous amounts for games I paid pennies for just 5-10 years ago. Oh yeah, and what the @!#%@!# is this new trend:

Screenshot.gif

Seriously?! You box your boxed game so you can't even get into it?!!! And pay 10x, 25x, 50x the price?!! :rage::rage::rage:

I just don't get it... I thought people doing that to comics was idiotic but this... I've read they're going to do VHS tapes next! :dead:

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What game is the big box at the left bottom corner? It has a knight with shiny eyes.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously?! You box your boxed game so you can't even get into it?!!! And pay 10x, 25x, 50x the price?!!

Think you can thank popularity and speculators for that. Read something about it, how now some people collect games on a industrial level, cornering the market, just to sell them at a huge profit later on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seriously?! You box your boxed game so you can't even get into it?!!! And pay 10x, 25x, 50x the price?!!
Think you can thank popularity and speculators for that. Read something about it, how now some people collect games on a industrial level, cornering the market, just to sell them at a huge profit later on.
Yup, it's all driven by assholes who keep trying to find ways to turn anything into speculation. There's this really indepth video on how WATA, the biggest "game collection grading" company out there, did a ton of shady shit to create a bubble and make as much money as possible:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Your and Luzur's collections will never cease to give me a boner. :P

I had to stop collecting games after my college days. I'd spent way too much money and I don't have storage space after moving out. But I do want to continue expanding my collection. Hopefully someday...

mindx2

Patron

That was depressing... is there no geek sanctuary not infested by corporate greed? Disney has our comics, hedge funds our retro games, SJW pandering publishers have our tabletop games and sci-fi/fantasy books...what's still left out there?

Thanks felipepepe I created this thread as a celebration of our oldies but goodies. :negative:

:dance: Just kidding. No harm done friend as I still LOVE my collection!!!! :dance:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thanks felipepepe I created this thread as a celebration of our oldies but goodies. :negative:
Well, that's the good thing of being a PC gamer. All this market manipulation is usually focused on consoles and big names like Mario and Resident Evil. You can still jump into eBay and get something nice like a Baldur's Gate II big box for like $12.

Meanwhile, a graded Ultima VI SNES cartridge is there on auction for $4,500. :lol:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well, that's the good thing of being a PC gamer. All this market manipulation is usually focused on consoles and big names like Mario and Resident Evil. You can still jump into eBay and get something nice like a Baldur's Gate II big box for like $12.

Meanwhile, a graded Ultima VI SNES cartridge is there on auction for $4,500. :lol:

Which is funny because PC Master Race is more :obviously:. Consoles have always been more of a passing fad IMO.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Great to see you back in action mindx2 :salute:

As some here know, I have a decent collection of big box PC titles myself (of which I sold a couple to mindx2 back in the day) but there's been very little change on that front... because as far as I'm concerned it's pretty much complete. (The rising prices haven't helped either.)

The last title missing from my collection (for eight years!) dropped into my lap in January 2020, and since then I've only bought one other boxed PC-game, because I figured that was only way I could keep a working copy of a classic game on modern systems. Then I learned about installation wrappers and felt a little silly after plonking down $100. But the box is gorgeous, so no real regrets.

mindx2

Patron
The last title missing from my collection (for eight years!) dropped into my lap in January 2020, and since then I've only bought one other boxed PC-game, because I figured that was only way I could keep a working copy of a classic game on modern systems. Then I learned about installation wrappers and felt a little silly after plonking down $100. But the box is gorgeous, so no real regrets.

Curious as to which games you're referring to? :hmmm:

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've read they're going to do VHS tapes next! :dead:
What do you mean next? They're already doing it. This is what a quick ebay search of some of the most dime-a-dozen, strictly $1-at-the-thrift-store variety VHS tapes has in store.
motherfuckers.jpg

Collecting big boxes has become quite the pain in the ass in recent years, due to greedy bastards runing the market. I saw a factory sealed copy of Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith get sold to some asshole for around 115 bucks. About a month later, those exact same copies (you could tell by some residue sticker marks where the pricetags used to be) showed up as buy-it-now for $999.

Nice collection, mindx2 and nice way to display it! I wish I had that kinda space. I'm getting a kick out of seeing some familiar boxes, like the US boxes for the Thief series (I'm still missing the Thief Gold trapezoid), the Judgment Rites Collector's Box or the Terra Nova big box (mine is also still sealed, funnily enough).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
What's the game to the right of Circuit's Edge? I'm reading it as Bioscopia but I highly doubt you have a random educational Myst-clone.

Nice collection either way. Not too much into finding the truly big box releases anymore, since I don't really have the room for it outside of a few seemingly impossible to find releases. Mostly I just get games in jewel cases or DVD cases. In that regard I've got quite a nice collection, but it doesn't pop as much as walls of big box games do.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Unless you find a cheap old boxed game in some fleamarket or garage sale, there's really no reason to go and pay those scam prices. Just print a box by yourself, it will be cheaper, and it will also be a creative process.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
What's your favorite box mindx2 ?

And what box came with the coolest stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom