Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Prelude to Darkness source is released

vazha

Arcane
obscure Russian vaporware RPG called Sigil is the spiritual successor to PtD
link/source to that one?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ladonna

Arcane
this is about the goodest rpg that i ever played. Anybody intrigued by this news can take my recommendation to download and play it

Comparing it to other great RPG's, what makes this one so good? I remember some on the Codex saying this at the time, but since most people couldn't get past the initial battle before constantly crashing to desktop, hardly anyone knew firsthand.

volklore

Arcane
this is about the goodest rpg that i ever played. Anybody intrigued by this news can take my recommendation to download and play it

Comparing it to other great RPG's, what makes this one so good? I remember some on the Codex saying this at the time, but since most people couldn't get past the initial battle before constantly crashing to desktop, hardly anyone knew firsthand.
Very open ended, real nice AP turnbased combat (Pretty much party based AoD. I think I read AoD was stongly inspired by PtD), multiple solution to quests based on stats and skills, and a nice classless hybrid progression system (learn by use + quest skill point rewards to spread at will). I played through a lot of it, didn't finish it due to crash problems getting worse as I progressed (seemed like some kind of save corruption).

vazha

Arcane
+ Excellent, fleshed out world / setting and atmosphere. What little music it had was also sublime.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's probably the closest game to Arcanum you will ever get, but with a ToEE-like combat.

So it is one of the greatest cRPGs ever made.

Ladonna

Arcane

It's probably the closest game to Arcanum you will ever get, but with a ToEE-like combat.

So it is one of the greatest cRPGs ever made.

Well, sounds pretty good. I hope it will arrive in a playable state one day.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
But for real, an Arcanum ToEE hybrid sounds interesting, I hope someone makes this game playable.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Comparing it to other great RPG's, what makes this one so good?
Great story, a lot of heavy moral C&Cs that make things very difficult down the road (it's really facilis descensus Averno, your party are undercover agents), good and interesting TB combat, a lot of quests with several outcomes, interesting character system and so on.
I remember some on the Codex saying this at the time, but since most people couldn't get past the initial battle before constantly crashing to desktop, hardly anyone knew firsthand.
A lot of people finished it. Damn, I even finally registered on the Codex back in 2009 only to answer in some PtD thread. Also made a patch back in the times that fixed some annoying script bugs.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/small-fixes-for-1-8.79946/

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
A lot of people finished it.

Was there a perfect hardware setup? Operating system? Graphics card?

It just seems strange that so many report the same crash bugs (seriously, I tried playing it God knows how many times, and it crashed 10 minutes in during the first big battle, every single time) regardless of patches, etc, while others seem to have breezed through it, no probs.

vazha

Arcane
Nobody including myself breezed through it, we all went through the bug suffering and I ve finished it three times.

Modron

Arcane
Windows XP and probably anything before the 9000 series nvidia as they started dropping legacy drivers with later cards (granted this mostly amounts to you having to download some .dlls right?) then whatever version of the game wasn't temperamental with your system. Latest wasn't always the greatest back then granted I didn't really try anything after the mid 1.4s on since either 1.41 or 1.43 played nice on my system.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
A lot of people finished it.

It just seems strange that so many report the same crash bugs (seriously, I tried playing it God knows how many times, and it crashed 10 minutes in during the first big battle, every single time) regardless of patches, etc, while others seem to have breezed through it, no probs.
Windows 98 machine. GeForce 2 or Voodoo 3. That was my config. Crashes were manageable.
There is DX wrapper fix for PtD that Deadman wrote about somewhere in this thread:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/prelude-to-darkness-is-a-pretty-damn-awesome-rpg.132443/page-4

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
You ignored the codex for a lot longer if you're unfamiliar with Prelude.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom