Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Have any of the builds of Duke Nukem Forever ever leaked?

schru

Arcane
All things considered, it's interesting how much decline Epic has been involved in, directly and indirectly, after Unreal and Unreal Tournament, with the single reversal in the form of UT 2004.
UT2k4 was decline though, regardless of UT2k3; UT3 was actually an improvement. Only 100% inclined game they've been involved in since the 90s was UT4, and of course they pulled the plug —'twas too good to be true.
UT2004 was inferior stylistically, but the addition of the game mode with vehicles was interesting and overall it felt like a more expansive game than 2003, and the basic gameplay mechanics seemed decent enough in both. I'm not sure about UT3, I found it less engaging and never played that much of it, but it seems like that iteration didn't hold people's attention for very long. The visuals are interesting when you stop and look around, but they feel distracting in motion. I would have certainly liked it if Epic had carried on with UT 2014, but was the alpha version that promising?

Screen_Shot_2022-05-12_at_8.26.42_PM.png

JBro

Arbiter
>my character

Maybe George had a point about Scott being a bit of a narcissist. Or maybe it really was his character.

randir14

Augur
>my character

Maybe George had a point about Scott being a bit of a narcissist. Or maybe it really was his character.

According to this he only came up with the name, not the character herself:

We had a small internal team, lead by engine coder, Billy Zelsnack and his brother, Jason, who were working on a fully 3D game in 1997, starring a female hero. It was going to be a war game, and your female character was a bit of a female Rambo. The two Zelsnack's had the idea of calling the game Bitch, and I put thought into coming up with a better name.

A month or two later, while watching the film, Barbwire, the ending credits had a generic "bombshell" character, and it immediately clicked that Bombshell could be a very cool name for the game, in place of Bitch.

The Zelsnack brothers left 3D Realms soon after, though, to start their own studio, and that's when I convinced my partner George that Bombshell should have a role in Duke Nukem Forever, with the idea of establishing her in that game, then giving her a spin-off game of her own.
https://3drealms.com/news/visual-history-bombshell/

Fargus

Arcane
I've been watching the leaked build videos for some time and damn what a waste... Such a shame they never finished and released it back then. Really looked like something i would wanna play:negative:

Not gonna bother to read his blog. But i assume his ideas are something along this:

Duke Nukem repents, abandons toxic masculinity and changes his sexist ways, starts to respect women and stops calling them "babes", marries and settles down. He then divorces and his wife hates him while he tries to win her back while looking at his past macho persona with regret and disgust which is reflected in his monologues throughout the game. His wife starts dating another dude. Duke starts drinking.

Dukes only joy is his daughter who is 5 times more badass than he ever was and needs no man, she is a main character now while duke is more of a wised up mentor and secondary character... Despite the game being called Duke Nukem 5. Bombshell is her best friend and they go to bars often to have a beer and beat up some toxic white males. Bombshell has more screen time than Duke because she now plays important part in Duke Nukem IP. Despite the game being called Duke Nukem 5. There are no strip clubs in the game. Cuz male gaze.

The aliens were retconned and changed to be a proud misunderstood race provoked into a conflict while earth defence is all corrupt and evil because of white males of course. The aliens kidnap white males instead of women to reeducate them into being more respectful and tolerant. Alien queen, their leader, now plays a major part in the story rather than just being an end game boss with 3 tits. The earth defence force general is a independant sassy black woman, who is the only decent person in the organization.

And so on.

Also

randir14

Augur
I've been watching the leaked build videos for some time and damn what a waste... Such a shame they never finished and released it back then. Really looked like something i would wanna play:negative:

Not gonna bother to read his blog. But i assume his ideas are something along this:

Duke Nukem repents, abandons toxic masculinity and changes his sexist ways, starts to respect women and stops calling them "babes", marries and settles down. He then divorces and his wife hates him while he tries to win her back while looking at his past macho persona with regret and disgust which is reflected in his monologues throughout the game. His wife starts dating another dude. Duke starts drinking.

Dukes only joy is his daughter who is 5 times more badass than he ever was and needs no man, she is a main character now while duke is more of a wised up mentor and secondary character... Despite the game being called Duke Nukem 5. Bombshell is her best friend and they go to bars often to have a beer and beat up some toxic white males. Bombshell has more screen time than Duke because she now plays important part in Duke Nukem IP. Despite the game being called Duke Nukem 5. There are no strip clubs in the game. Cuz male gaze.

The aliens were retconned and changed to be a proud misunderstood race provoked into a conflict while earth defence is all corrupt and evil because of white males of course. The aliens kidnap white males instead of women to reeducate them into being more respectful and tolerant. Alien queen, their leader, now plays a major part in the story rather than just being an end game boss with 3 tits. The earth defence force general is a independant sassy black woman, who is the only decent person in the organization.

And so on.

Also

I don't know if Scott Miller is "woke", but Gearbox was at one point developing a game called Duke Begins which involved a gay robot sidekick who Duke developed respect for over the course of the story, and there was supposed to be some emotional moment at the end where the robot sacrificed itself to save the day by detonating the nuclear reactor powering its body. That's why I hope any potential future games aren't made by Gearbox.

Fargus

Arcane

And so on.

Also

I don't know if Scott Miller is "woke", but Gearbox was at one point developing a game called Duke Begins which involved a gay robot sidekick who Duke developed respect for over the course of the story, and there was supposed to be some emotional moment at the end where the robot sacrificed itself to save the day by detonating the nuclear reactor powering its body. That's why I hope any potential future games aren't made by Gearbox.

There is no way in hell any modern dev would dare to make an authentic duke game, with both gameplay and dukes attitude preserved. I mean the game that a bunch of old farts like us would enjoy. 0 trust in 3d realms either even if they still had the IP, they already moved on and made Dyke Nukem (Bombshell) anyway. So i really hope no one even tries.

But fans made some good stuff like DNF 2013 on dukes engine. It's good enough for me. Maybe some other interesting fan made projects will appear in the future.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The ideal old nukem game:
‘you're old duke, you dumb boomer, we don't need you to protect humanity. you raepd my prostitutes and made them cry on twatter, cancelled!!’
uh oh alien invasion but the world is too retarded to fight. time for duke to do it himself
duke saves the world yet again, and everyone loves him just like they used to. except for all the electronic old men running the world!!
now nuke dukem must save humanity from its greatest enemy. itself.
by the way the aliens were actually glow in the dark cia demons all along

Ravielsk

Magister
0 trust in 3d realms either even if they still had the IP, they already moved on and made Dyke Nukem (Bombshell) anyway. So i really hope no one even tries.
Funny thing is that I recently finished Ion Fury and as good as it is as game Shelly is literary just a shell of a protagonist.

She has all the surface level features of Duke Nukem but with 0 substance. She is what happens when the writer does not get that Duke is kind of a self parody where everything he does goes both ways. His insults are aimed at the enemies but also kind of backfire on him as they expose him as a pretty shallow stereotype(stolen directly from the action movies of the 80s-90s). This actually also goes for Wang and (to a lesser extend)Caleb who just like Duke are all about taking the piss out of their respective genre(japan's cultural imports and horrors). However this was before everything was tailored for the slowest kid on the slow bus and so its not all super obviously telegraphed with a wink and a nudge every few seconds to make sure the player knows that its a joke and not a manual.

Shelly as a result has is the protagonist of a 20+hour long game where she has like a total of three funny lines with the rest either being meh or just unfunny. Even her motivation to get smashed just makes her sound less bad ass and more like a sad alcoholic cat lady.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm still irrationally angry that a character named Bombshell in the Dukeverse has to wear a plain, grey overall and is showing less skin than Duke (none). Where is the sex?

Fargus

Arcane
I'm still irrationally angry that a character named Bombshell in the Dukeverse has to wear a plain, grey overall and is showing less skin than Duke (none). Where is the sex?

Dunno, but might interest you
https://3drealms.com/news/visual-history-bombshell/

0 trust in 3d realms either even if they still had the IP, they already moved on and made Dyke Nukem (Bombshell) anyway. So i really hope no one even tries.
Funny thing is that I recently finished Ion Fury and as good as it is as game Shelly is literary just a shell of a protagonist.

She has all the surface level features of Duke Nukem but with 0 substance. She is what happens when the writer does not get that Duke is kind of a self parody where everything he does goes both ways. His insults are aimed at the enemies but also kind of backfire on him as they expose him as a pretty shallow stereotype(stolen directly from the action movies of the 80s-90s). This actually also goes for Wang and (to a lesser extend)Caleb who just like Duke are all about taking the piss out of their respective genre(japan's cultural imports and horrors). However this was before everything was tailored for the slowest kid on the slow bus and so its not all super obviously telegraphed with a wink and a nudge every few seconds to make sure the player knows that its a joke and not a manual.

Shelly as a result has is the protagonist of a 20+hour long game where she has like a total of three funny lines with the rest either being meh or just unfunny. Even her motivation to get smashed just makes her sound less bad ass and more like a sad alcoholic cat lady.

After the voidpoint's tranny debacle few years ago (when they sent some devs to reeducation) i decided not to buy this game and never really was in the mood to pirate and play it. But all in all looks like bland design and character. Decades were spent trying to conceive their waifu version of duke nukem and this is the best they came up with. Lmao.

Maybe as a shooter its pretty good, but i guess ill never know.

There is another game called Bombshell where she's got a metal arm, but i never played it either. And reviews were mediocre.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
There is another game called Bombshell where she's got a metal arm, but i never played it either. And reviews were mediocre.
Honestly I only got the game because it came as part of a bundle otherwise I would not bother buying it.

Thing is that if you pay attention you can clearly see that despite all their "effort" their Shelly still heavily draws from the old Bombshell design. Just the in looks department its the old character design but with brown hair instead of blonde. There is a "blonde Shelly" mod that changes her hair color and its super obvious just how much they borrowed from the old design visually. Same with her quips with which they obviously put a lot of effort into making as masculine and asexual as possible but then sporadically she comments on the lack of dick on one of the enemies.

There are many other moments where you can tell that their character is just a lobotomisation of another but to put it shortly into context how obviously split the character is just try to imagine if you had the classic Duke with all his bravado occasionally stop mid level to tell a stripper to cover up or talk about the dangers of steroid abuse. That is Ion Fury's Shelly in a nutshell.

Last edited:

El Presidente

Arcane
This thread has such a sad vibe. This comes to my mind:

68oaGTF.jpg

"h-hey guys anyone here has Duke Nukem forever builds? Hehe I still love video games man they're great I totally don't need to dig up stuff from 22 years ago to feel something again for the first time in a decade"

The Decline

Arcane
Honestly I only got the game because it came as part of a bundle otherwise I would not bother buying it.

Thing is that if you pay attention you can clearly see that despite all their "effort" their Shelly still heavily draws from the old Bombshell design. Just the in looks department its the old character design but with brown hair instead of blonde. There is a "blonde Shelly" mod that changes her hair color and its super obvious just how much they borrowed from the old design visually. Same with her quips with which they obviously put a lot of effort into making as masculine and asexual as possible but then sporadically she comments on the lack of dick on one of the enemies.

There are many other moments where you can tell that their character is just a lobotomisation of another but to put it shortly into context how obviously split the character is just try to imagine if you had the classic Duke with all his bravado occasionally stop mid level to tell a stripper to cover up or talk about the dangers of steroid abuse. That is Ion Fury's Shelly in a nutshell.

As I said before in the Ion Fury thread:

I could see the sexier Bombshell working really well. Instead of movie quotes she could quote female song lyrics/titles.
"Girls just wanna have fun"
"Like a virgin"
"Oops I did it again"
"Sweet dreams are made of these"
"That don't impress me much"

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I could see the sexier Bombshell working really well. Instead of movie quotes she could quote female song lyrics/titles.
"Like a virgin"
"Oops I did it again"

Is it intentional that all these seem to be from songs almost as old as the Build engine?

The Decline

Arcane
"Like a virgin"
"Oops I did it again"

Is it intentional that all these seem to be from songs almost as old as the Build engine?

More like there isn't anything newer that comes to mind as working.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Like a virgin"
"Oops I did it again"
I love the concept!

Add:
"Spice up your life" (preferably uttered whilst shooting an oriental terrorist)
"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard…"
"That Don't Impress Me Much"
"Do you really want to live forever?"
"Sometimes you have to be a bitch to get things done."
"Oops, I did it again"
"I played with your heart, got lost in the game"
"I’m not that innocent"
"Hit me, baby, one more time" (when being hit)
"I’m Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman"
"What goes around comes around"
"Wanna taste forbidden fruit"
"Am I that girl that you dream of?"
"I was filled with poison, but blessed with beauty and rage."
"In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel."
"I know what the boys want, I'm not gonna play."
"I'm your national anthem."
"Um, do you think you'll buy me lots of diamonds?"
"I pledge allegiance to my dad for teaching me everything he knows."
"Sweet sixteen and we had arrived."
"Club queen on the downtown scene."
"But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good."

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Download:
https://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-forever-2001/downloads/duke-nukem-forever-2001-leak
https://archive.org/details/1652058670472

On getting it to run and... fixing it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/umexnl/duke_nukem_forever_2001_has_released/i81dinj/

It has some really impressive parts, though as we knew, wildly unfinished. But the leak also comes with the UE1 editor and source(!) dated October 26, 2001.

So... maybe modders will fix it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom