Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendation thread

Gaznak

Learned
Sorry for having made the new thread for this but I couldn't find any 'recommendation central' topic.

Recently I got back to Cardinal Quest 2 which is of that type of games I always liked, i.e. 2D top-down turn-based dungeon crawler RPG, rather simplified, with no infinite dialogue trees and such, no over-sophisticated class/skill system, just exploration- and action-oriented.

What else games could fit into this category?

Thanks in advance.

curds

Magister
2D top-down turn-based dungeon crawler RPG, rather simplified, with no infinite dialogue trees and such, no over-sophisticated class/skill system, just exploration- and action-oriented.
Rogue, Brogue, Sil

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I dont believe these games meet the craptastic music or the bizarre pixelated diversity (its always the paladins) of Cardinal Quest 2 but here are some games for you to take a gander at. Good luck finding something.

Gaznak

Learned
Rogue, Brogue, Sil

I do know all three, of course. Still didn't play the revered grandfather Rogue though. Had a couple of brief sessions of Brogue (before Community edition which made it incompatible with my OS, as always). Tried Sil (in its Sil-Q incarnation) but put it away until better times.

tales of maj'eyal

I do have it on GOG along with all DLCs, tried it a dozen of times but can't play more than a half an hour and uninstall it everytime :). Its skills/perks system makes me sick, and its sprites and tiles look ugly for me (why, I can play even ASCII games, so graphics are not a problem, ToME just lacks style, it's inconsistent and sloppy).

I dont believe these games meet the craptastic music or the bizarre pixelated diversity (its always the paladins) of Cardinal Quest 2 but here are some games for you to take a gander at. Good luck finding something.

I don't know what emphasis you put into this 'craptastic' (in a good or bad sense?) so I only can say that original Cardinal Quest OST plus additional tunes from CQ2 are set on my cellphone for call and alarm tunes ;)

Dungeonmans is a good game, with its own style (mainly due to original tileset, that is a rarity now for indie games), but its sense of humor is so overabundant and omnipresent that it feels like too much.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is free and tons of fun. There is a focus on exploration and, while it has a ton of depth, you can get started pretty easily. The game has been in development since the late 90s and can be played online here: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/.

Gaznak

Learned
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Of course I do know DCSS, and kinda followed its new version releases some time ago. Then I stopped it seeing the game needs more time to grow. Now AFAIK there are many who don't like the changes in newer versions so I don't know whether to play earlier versions (which of them?) or to skip newer ones hoping for future improvements.

FriendlyMerchant

I need a good game to torrent. All the games I torrented are getting pretty boring.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Of course I do know DCSS, and kinda followed its new version releases some time ago. Then I stopped it seeing the game needs more time to grow. Now AFAIK there are many who don't like the changes in newer versions so I don't know whether to play earlier versions (which of them?) or to skip newer ones hoping for future improvements.
Stay away. New version plays itself, they removed anything fun, complex or broken. It's like Sawyer took it and had its way with it. They removed food. They removed identifying things. They removed cursed items. They removed mutagenic chunks. They removed half the races. It's Skyrim, the roguelike.

Genuinely, the original Linley's Dungeon Crawl is much more fun.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
They removed food. They removed identifying things. They removed cursed items. They removed mutagenic chunks. They removed half the races.

Zoomers sneaked into the dev team?

So, another one bites the dust.

It's true that the new updates are not great to say the least, but it's easy to download older versions and there are several forks available that preserve the old features.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sorry for having made the new thread for this but I couldn't find any 'recommendation central' topic.

Recently I got back to Cardinal Quest 2 which is of that type of games I always liked, i.e. 2D top-down turn-based dungeon crawler RPG, rather simplified, with no infinite dialogue trees and such, no over-sophisticated class/skill system, just exploration- and action-oriented.

What else games could fit into this category?

Thanks in advance.

Get Zorbus now!

You could also try Age of Fear 2 Gold: The Undead King and Sigma Finite Dungeon.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there any top down dungeon crawlers that aren't roguelikes? Preferably, turn based.
Depends on "dungeon crawler" definition. There are a lot of Ultima-inspired top-down games with the open or semi-open world. Magic Candle, War Wizard and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom