Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG you'd like to see made?

Oligryan

Novice
Kenshi 2 except this decade and going all in on the slavery, rape, and misery.
Journey to the Centre of Arcanum except it actually exists.
A Spiderweb game except without reused assets.
A ToME sequel except now it has documentation to make modules with.
A more open-ended, sandbox-y Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun game.
Something like Battle Brothers except high fantasy.
A CRPG with a similar aesthetic as Brutal Legends or X-Piratez. Hell, just make an RPG in the X-PirateZ setting.
A Starfinder game (fuck you. I like it)

Radiane

Cipher
A game where you have to fight against huge giant women. Due to radiaoactive fallout (or whatever) all women went skyscraperhuge and crazy and want to squish all males. They are all naked because their clothes did not grow with them of course. You are one of the last few surviving men and have to defeat these giantesses by climbing up and inside their bodies through various body openings from where you tickle them to unconsciousness. By leveling up you can decide what parts of your own body you want to enhance, more muscular legs for higher jumping, muscular arms for better clinging onto the giantesses or better "jizzastics" which you can use to swing and climb higher, similar to some spider man or sth.
sound like some joke, but it is not, would be a dream rpg

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Anything single player set in Norrath. Similar to the MMO Everquest in that it would have a lot of classes, heritage style quests, big dragons to fight, slow tedious combat but without other players. Maybe have some companions with background stories and quests. Very rare items you need to farm or go on some long convoluted quest. Armor sets with bonuses. Yeah pretty much a single player offline MMO style game with no players set in Norrath.

So many people play MMO's solo. I dont understand why nobody hasnt ever made a game that emultes exactly how MMO's play but not online and no multiplayer. I think there is plenty of room for some good RPG mechanics to play out that just cant be done with multiplayer.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anything single player set in Norrath. Similar to the MMO Everquest in that it would have a lot of classes, heritage style quests, big dragons to fight, slow tedious combat but without other players. Maybe have some companions with background stories and quests. Very rare items you need to farm or go on some long convoluted quest. Armor sets with bonuses. Yeah pretty much a single player offline MMO style game with no players set in Norrath.

So many people play MMO's solo. I dont understand why nobody hasnt ever made a game that emultes exactly how MMO's play but not online and no multiplayer. I think there is plenty of room for some good RPG mechanics to play out that just cant be done with multiplayer.
Just a carbon copy of EQ Classic in a modern engine with a single character would be far better than any RPG. It would blow peoples minds when they are used to stuff like Skyrim with zero depth. Anyone who played EQ must feel the same way, it's just proof how dysfunctional the games industry is that EQs best bits haven't been ripped off 1000 times by now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
A game where you have to fight against huge giant women. Due to radiaoactive fallout (or whatever) all women went skyscraperhuge and crazy and want to squish all males. They are all naked because their clothes did not grow with them of course. You are one of the last few surviving men and have to defeat these giantesses by climbing up and inside their bodies through various body openings from where you tickle them to unconsciousness. By leveling up you can decide what parts of your own body you want to enhance, more muscular legs for higher jumping, muscular arms for better clinging onto the giantesses or better "jizzastics" which you can use to swing and climb higher, similar to some spider man or sth.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
A proper and authentic Underdark simulator.

By that, I mean one that model hundreds of miles of the Underdark to a degree as accurately as can be interpreted from FR canon.

This game should be fully 3D in a modern, competent engine (no Unity) and shouldn't require a hugely powerful PC due to the relatively constrained areas it would be responsible for rendering at any one time, except when encountering one of the large Underdark cities.

Accurate and correct climbing, swimming and spelunking skills should be modeled. The game should of course be fully turn-based and based on AD&D 3.5E rules. If that's not possible, 5E might be okay, but I don't know enough about them yet to know if that would be better or not. Imagine being able to fully zoom in, out, rotate around while viewing the current tunnel or cave system your party is located in, with a sophisticated (and uncompromising) lighting system capable of plunging your party into utter and hopeless darkness should they not have come prepared.

Illithid, drow, svirfneblin, derro, beholder, cloaker -- all the favorites should be included.

The name of the this glorious RPG should be...

Descent Into The Underdark

(DITU)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'd like to see an urban fantasy RPG focusing more on modern urban legends mixed with sinister witchcraft/magery rather than the overused vampires & werewolves. Urban fantasy doesn't have to be about those two all the time.

From my personal experience modern urban fantasy seems to be popular mostly among people with fairly limited imagination. Probably because it's the most pedestrian form of fantasy. Your idea would require more research than your average Facebook coven group for teenage Wiccan xe/xir witches can provide or you'd just get creepypasta outtakes about Slenderman. Not to mention that a modern setting makes it very easy for "political types" to inject their brainrot into the narrative. That's why I'd take everything you said and just plonk it into the roaring twenties. Pulpy adventure is a bit harder to mess with and any attempt is even more obvious. I won't deny though that this would be fun:

AvYuctl.png
Even Jim Butcher's books made into games would be better than what you describe. There are various creatures included, some are interesting like the Fey. As is magic - less of "i have superpowers" and more "i need this object combined with that one to make things do stuff for a short moment". Vampires, although crucial to the plot, aren't boring as usual. For once they are disgusting and barely humanoid, can only exist in human world undetected when they cover their appearance with illusion. No forced ideology, at least in the few books I've read. It would make an ok basis for an urban fantasy crpg. For the Torment's fans there is even a talking sex-obsessed skull. But it stays on a bookshelf and serves as an interactive encyclopedia of magic.

PanickedTushkano

Educated
Two ideas:

1. An RPG very much modeled on something like Baldur's Gate 2, but hopefully with more reactivity. At least taking into account Intelligence and Charisma (or whatever your equivalents in any given game are) somewhat would be good.

Other than that characters which aren't included in the party should start doing their own thing at a fixed point. If we don't have Anomen in the party for instance, he would eventually run off with some other group of adventurers and end up in a confrontation with the player's group. Cernd might try to go off on his own and get killed in the wilderness. Jaheira might go back to the Harpers and do some jobs for them and we might encounter her one or two times. Stuff like that.

Oh, and it's important that I can make potential party characters go away instead of them just showing up in my party camp. If they are pushy I should also be allowed to get rid of them. No babbling in the party camp of characters I didn't want to have in there in the first place. Though there could also be the option for related dialogue options to be forced by aligment. Characters with the wrong alignment might also simply not want to stay. I guess BG2 already had some of that.

2. An ARPG with the unique items being in lore-appropriate, fixed places with traders, bosses and in particularly dangerous areas. Have lore to support that and let the player find information with people, in books and around the world to actually find where some of these items are. Perhaps a trader or collector that has an item would only talk about it with the appropriate character class or only after a particular quest has been solved in a particular way. The necessity of meta-knowledge should be avoided though. And absolutely no RNG when it comes to the unique stuff. Difficulty should come from character class and build as well as gear and area. Only one relatively tough difficulty, but it should come down more to the character and not twitch reflexes or something like that. There should be areas that will simply be too difficult for a long time and some character classes might simply not have the options to deal with certain problems or would have to go about it a different way. Perhaps there's a lore excuse why one character will need some mercenaries whereas another might mostly be able to go through an area peacefully.

The character system for this would probably have to be a non-hybrid system with lore-specific character classes and not too many of them. That would make it easier to get character specific situations and resposes and perhaps even areas that will only open up for certain characters.

The open world would either be maps like in the IE-games or an open world with fairly restricted access like in Gothic or so. If they start murdering you easily, you know that you are in the wrong area, basically. But this kind of stuff should have a good amount of info from characters and so on attached to it. As long as it makes some sense have people warn you, tell you lore about certain areas, have books around and slaughtered parties of adventurers and such. If you are too lazy or impatient to listen to a character babble on about his story and couldn't be bothered to check that little library in the local town, then ok, that's the player's fault. But it should mostly not be information that will most likely be missed. Though perhaps particular character classes would get information differently based on how their run through the game would differ. First and foremeost too much clueless stumbling around should be avoided.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

giantess_dream_by_solouchart_den2stb-fullview.jpg

giantess_girls_in_new_york_by_lowerrider_d92ez3v-fullview.jpg

d997s0d-20bbbde3-01d0-45a2-a3c0-e9a98de4cdf7.png

d9d6hku-38122e02-a167-4826-a28e-8f3832ff4919.jpg

d1j70fp-f0e0cf1b-eab3-4c32-bd46-868e8a90d310.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Radiane

Cipher

Great pictures man :shredder:
I see that you guys (JarlFrank and anvi) are real men of culture
:martini:
martini.png

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Side-scrolling RPG with a combat system like fighting games, hand-drawn cel animation, a realistic and grounded art style, Diablo-like itemization, respectable magic visual effects (ie no blue or red sparks or splashes or spammed geometric shapes with symbols), moody ambient-industrial style music, the ability to kill, steal from, cast magic on or use items on NPCs, spells primarily learned from found items or spells used on your characters (by enemies, NPCs, etc), spells and abilities improved only by using them or by finding very rare items like specific books, no skill trees, no "level up by gathering experience by killing monsters" mechanic, no online multiplayer (yes same screen multiplayer). Spells gain different effects at different power levels, rather than simply increasing numbers.

Isometric turn based Hunter WoD RPG-Supernatural was a mediocre TV series but the concept is expressed well by saying that needs to be the feel the game has...traveling the US and do Europe or something in the sequel.
Isometric turn based Deadlands RPG.
Isometric turn based Gammaworld RPG.
Isometric turn based with open world mind you not that shitty hub thing Shadowrun did.
was going to say gamma world, but looks like somebody already did...

An rpg that focuses entirely on the stock market.
This has been my dream RPG for a long time. One of the most fun things in these open-world simulationist games is manipulating the stock market but most games are set before banking and stock trading and all advances financial institutions took off. Only a few space games have attempted it that I know of.

have not played it in many years, but sort of remember thinking EVE online had a market, but not sure if the companies in the game actually traded on a stock exchange or if there was one, or if it was just for the commodities used to build things and which you sold as a trader..I just recall EVE was totally crazy and felt like there was a ton of depth, but I never got far into it because I just don't have the time to do it or play it correctly which felt like it would have taken being retired or a teenager again...

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I'd like to see an urban fantasy RPG focusing more on modern urban legends mixed with sinister witchcraft/magery rather than the overused vampires & werewolves. Urban fantasy doesn't have to be about those two all the time.

From my personal experience modern urban fantasy seems to be popular mostly among people with fairly limited imagination. Probably because it's the most pedestrian form of fantasy. Your idea would require more research than your average Facebook coven group for teenage Wiccan xe/xir witches can provide or you'd just get creepypasta outtakes about Slenderman. Not to mention that a modern setting makes it very easy for "political types" to inject their brainrot into the narrative. That's why I'd take everything you said and just plonk it into the roaring twenties. Pulpy adventure is a bit harder to mess with and any attempt is even more obvious. I won't deny though that this would be fun:

AvYuctl.png
Even Jim Butcher's books made into games would be better than what you describe. There are various creatures included, some are interesting like the Fey. As is magic - less of "i have superpowers" and more "i need this object combined with that one to make things do stuff for a short moment". Vampires, although crucial to the plot, aren't boring as usual. For once they are disgusting and barely humanoid, can only exist in human world undetected when they cover their appearance with illusion. No forced ideology, at least in the few books I've read. It would make an ok basis for an urban fantasy crpg. For the Torment's fans there is even a talking sex-obsessed skull. But it stays on a bookshelf and serves as an interactive encyclopedia of magic.
Urban fantasy is one of those genres where the typical tropes are standardized enough that you don’t need to license a brand name to create a setting that audiences will find comprehensible. Without getting into various variants: It’s basically our world, except the creatures of our myths and fictions are real and may (or may not) live in secret from muggles. Characters could be wizards, demigods, vampires, werewolves, angels, etc or all of these in the same setting.

It’s a very versatile genre. Harry Potter, a hugely popular franchise, is technically urban fantasy, even if most of the series takes place in a secret magic school that you only know exists on Earth because of the scenes set in muggle society.

Strig

Learned
It’s basically our world, except the creatures of our myths and fictions are real and may (or may not) live in secret from muggles. Characters could be wizards, demigods, vampires, werewolves, angels, etc or all of these in the same setting.

It’s a very versatile genre. Harry Potter, a hugely popular franchise, is technically urban fantasy, even if most of the series takes place in a secret magic school that you only know exists on Earth because of the scenes set in muggle society.

lDTCCk5.png

rojay

Scholar
Yup, city states in East Turkestan and Khokand, settler-nomad conflicts, low fantasy setting with arabian nights (ironically much of the stories took plance in transoxiana) theme, ambitious khans, islamic golden age and heterodox beliefs.. it's a prime setting for a great RPG. Great amount of historical research would be needed also I'm afraid it would be too alien for the western players, ideal games usually familiar enough to not repulse the player but exoctic enough to draw interest of the audience.

I am now 6 pages in on a design document for a Silk Road game and if I needed a reminder, I am now reminded just how complex game design is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom