Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Excavation of Hob's Barrow (formerly Incantamentum) - folk horror adventure set in rural Victorian England

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://cadgames.weebly.com/the-excavation-of-hobs-barrow.html

https://af.gog.com/game/the_excavation_of_hobs_barrow?as=1649904300

INCANTAMENTUM, a mystery horror adventure inspired by English folklore, by the developer of Legend of Hand, The Terrible Old Man, and Sumatra: Fate of Yandi:

ss_1e896c8f5da593717902c5ab8eb0367aa38e924b.600x338.jpg

A folk horror point and click mystery adventure, inspired by English folklore.

INCANT_GIF.gif

THE STORY:
A mysterious letter brings noted barrow-digger Thomasina Bateman to the isolated and somewhat unwelcoming village of Bewlay, England. A subsequent series of strange events in this ancient and sodden landscape prove that this will be no ordinary dig for Miss Bateman.

The excavation of Hob's Barrow will uncover more than was bargained for...

FEATURES:
- A dark, complex and evolving storyline featuring interwoven elements from real English folklore- with many twists and turns.
- Traditional point and click adventure game puzzles and interactions, with an easy modern interface.
- A cast of intriguing characters, from suspicious villagers to sickly vicars to lordly landowners, all with their own unique stories and motives.
- A distinct "folk horror" tone and grounding.
- Evocative pixel-art graphics, featuring cut-scenes and engaging animations.
- A suitably atmospheric original soundtrack from the musician behind the award-winning "Football Game" soundtrack.
- Fiends in the furrows, the smell of damp soil, and a cat or two.

Coming 2020

Last edited by a moderator:

Modron

Arcane
Terrible Old Man is basically a 20 minute prototype of them learning the ags system from decades ago kek wouldn't say worth playing. Been kind of curios about Sumatra though.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Legend of Hand, The Terrible Old Man, and Sumatra: Fate of Yandi
Are any of those worth playing?

Legend Of Hand is fun. Definitely worth playing.
Sumatra had it's charm, but was disappointingly straightforward/easy. Kind of the Detective Di : Silk Rose Murders. Nice underused setting, low-key story (moreso in Sumatra, Di becoming
IMPERIAL CONSPIRACY
towards the end), but fuck me if it didn't often felt like they had better done an animated movie. Still worth it if you're a point & click junkie, but Primordia it definitely ain't.

V_K

Arcane
Legend Of Hand is fun. Definitely worth playing.
Sumatra had it's charm, but was disappointingly straightforward/easy. Kind of the Detective Di : Silk Rose Murders. Nice underused setting, low-key story (moreso in Sumatra, Di becoming
IMPERIAL CONSPIRACY
towards the end), but fuck me if it didn't often felt like they had better done an animated movie. Still worth it if you're a point & click junkie, but Primordia it definitely ain't.
Thanks! Personally I didn't fin Di offensively easy (unlike, say, Unavowed or Darkside Detective), so I guess I'll give it a try.
How bad are the combat segments in Legend of Hand?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
INCANTAMENTUM is the next game from Cloak and Dagger Games! We were initially hoping for a mid-late 2020 release but that has been pushed back due to a year of rotten health. Hoping for early 2021.

You can check out the Steam page here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1182310/INCANTAMENTUM/ (Wishlists are appreciated if you like the look of it! Thanks
smiley16_smiley.png
)

I love folk settings.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
INCANTAMENTUM is the next game from Cloak and Dagger Games! We were initially hoping for a mid-late 2020 release but that has been pushed back due to a year of rotten health. Hoping for early 2021.

You can check out the Steam page here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1182310/INCANTAMENTUM/ (Wishlists are appreciated if you like the look of it! Thanks
smiley16_smiley.png
)

I love folk settings.

Well, the free demo for INCANTAMENTUM is out, I've played it through and I absolutely loved it. If anything, Cloak&Dagger can create a dense story from scratch.

Reminding me of amazing The Last Door, substitute for which I'm still desperately trying to find.

Last edited:
Well, the free demo for INCANTAMENTUM is out, I've played it through and I absolutely loved it. If anything, Cloak&Dagger can create a dense story from scratch.

Reminding me of amazing The Last Door, substitute for which I'm still desperately trying to find.

Lovely immerse art, however the dialogues are not authentic at all eye rolling. It makes the setting feel corny. At least get the slang correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm:

This is my first time working with Will and it barely felt like work. In the upcoming HB (a temporary title because we aren't ready to officially anounce this thing yet), Will plays a Byronesque lord of a sleepy Victorian village in rural England.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, he kind of gave it away at 1:10. HB must stand for Hob's Barrow.

Modron

Arcane
Whenever it comes out I am sure to get it, Cloak and Dagger guys craft nice atmospheres in their adventures (dark and forboding thriller with Football game, a preservationist tale with Sumatra, and a rambling Kungfu adventure with lite rpg mechanics in Legend of The Hand).

wishbonetail

Learned
Their site says Coming in 2021! and their last blog update was year ago. They surely love to procrastinate a little.

Modron

Arcane

Modron

Arcane
Probably going to have some news regarding this sometime in the immediate future looks like they made an early bird post for patreons:

Edit:Looks like they are entering the final stretches

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/da...ce-acting-is-his-favourite-thing-in-the-world

Dave Gilbert on branching out to gothic horror, and why voice-acting is his "favourite thing in the world"​

The Excavation Of Hob's Barrow is coming later this year

When I sat down to talk to Wadjet Eye founder Dave Gilbert last week, he was in the middle of trying to sum up The Excavation Of Hob's Barrow, a new point and click adventure from Cloak And Dagger Games that his studio will be publishing later this year. "Usually, by the time a game comes out, I've compressed it to one sexy sound bite. I haven't done that with Hob's Barrow yet," he says. "Basically, Victorian gothic horror story. That's the best way to describe it."

Originally announced as Incantamentum (Gilbert jokes that one of the reasons behind the name change is because he could never pronounce "Incantamentum" correctly), Wadjet Eye got involved after Gilbert played the Steam demo last year and emailed the developer. "I said, 'Hey, I played the demo. I really liked it. Please tell me you're going to be adding voice acting to this because it's screaming for it'," Gilbert tells me. "And he said, 'Well, we will if we can find a publisher who'll do it for us.'" So now Wadjet Eye are publishing, and Gilbert is overseeing the voice recording.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks good, pleasantly surprised with the quality of the art here!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom