Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Again, end of turn 1.

end of 2...

And I have 105 points saved lmao.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Before last legion assault.

Meet the Centurion!

...and nobody was hurt.

P.S. Conclusion - this team died only in fight with Barca and next.
It really requre good thinking. If you could manage those two - you could easily do IM run with that setup.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What to do next?
Any ideas for IM solo?
Like, really?
How to do solo thrower/crossbower?
Crossbower looks bad idea - not enough damage in lategame.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
How to do solo thrower/crossbower?
Crossbower looks bad idea - not enough damage in lategame.
Throwing can be doable if you hoard all of the stones, aim to the head with those and then attack an unconscious enemy with a secondary weapon. Bow and X-Bow solo is an exercise in frustration and I still don't know if doable given how little ammo you get in the early game.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Gib me solid IM-capavle (at least iт theory) build.
Currently trying axe, and with 7 Int it's so-so...
I've never gone for Iron-man playthrough but I think a ranged build supporting the other mates (assuming you'll play with a party, IM solo is practically impossible after patches) should work like a charm, specially something like bow to abuse multi-shot + poisoned ammo. What's more, a build I found to be overly powered was max charisma-max intelligence... and putting 0 points in offensive skills, just being a dedicated crafter-alchemist and leaving the killing to the rest, who would benefit for top of the line equipment and consumables; this of course isn't as exciting and the very early game is tough, it's something I did once just to experiment. You could in theory still attack unconscious/knocked-out enemies if you wanna join the fun sometimes.

Well, let's say you want something less gayer, I'd go for a spear build. Just minimize the risk of getting killed in close quarters (ranged enemies can still fuck you up). 2-handed spears in theory should give you more room to maneuver and protect your mates while also using them as bait, but block is way better than dodge to survive. Maybe as an alternative, try hammer build, knock out everyone and let the others pile on knocked-out enemies for easy crits and fast kills.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I meant solo yeah.
Tried 10 dex/int/con dagger and it's a shit at the beginnig, 2 points in perception from con is much better, but lategame is very different with just 2 less points in con - I had two similiar builds which had the only difference - 8 and 10 con, and it was noticeable change - mobs hit me visibly more often, making some trivial figths like Ingvar going from easy-peasy kept half of hp to why crossbowman keep hitting me along with Ingvard with throwing axes...
Those 4 or maybe 6 (if it was 7 con) points of dodge rating are significant.

So I dunno...

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I meant solo yeah.

Do you like masochism?

Tried 10 dex/int/con dagger

The constructs are going to btfo your dagger build. You'll feel the pain of the skill's inability to aim to the head in those fights. And Emperor is not easy either.

Those 4 or maybe 6 (if it was 7 con) points of dodge rating are significant.

Oh boy. Dodge is a terrible choice for solo play and the Emperor fight is gonna tear you a new asshole. It's doable with lots of retries, but dodge+ironman is gonna be a torture and probably impossible, unless you play strictly the pre-patched game.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Weird, I was pretty sure we used all the music, especially if it's in the game files. You sure we didn't use it somewhere else?
Double-checked it. It's not used for emperor, unfortunately. A real shame, this song would really elevate the encounter. Any chance you could spare a minute out of your busy Colony Ship development and patch up the game?

Utfärd

easy.png

Finally butchered emprah on hardcore psychopath child-rapist difficulty, felt good man.

HP left? 1. Easy.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Hi guys, couple of days ago I started to play Dungeon Rats and now my frustration rising. I beat Age of Decadance four times, twice with 100% combat-oriented characters(warrior sword/block and thief dagger/dodge). Then here comes Dungeon Rats and the game completely owns me. My current playthrough is on Tough Bastard difficulty and I stuck on Democritus fight. No chance I can beat him, his hammer whacks everything and enemy nets (2 per turn for a couple of first turns) debilitate my team pretty well.
So, here is my actual question: is there any comprehensive guide with tips, tactics and tricks for last patch. I've searched the 'Net and found some videos, but they are based on oldest patch and all seems to be easier in past. I think I miss some important concepts or mechanics, because even mathematically I can't see the way to beat Democritus (most of my party has around 30-50% THC with fast attacks which doesn't seem right)

EldarEldrad

Savant
Your main char always goes first. Destroy him with bombs before he can act.
I can bring him to nearly 20hp with this plan. He dodge bombs constantly because my main character has 0 throwing so it looks like he doesn't get full damage. Nevertheless it is not enough yet.

Meanwhile I started new game on minimum difficulty and now game feels like a breeze. Reach ant queen almost without losing any rations, enemies just barely even hit PCs.

Saduj

Arcane
It has been a while, but I know I would use a net, fire and at least one bomb in that fight. I think what I would do with my main is net him and then throw fire on him to do a little damage and back him up. If I remember right, you can also hit a second enemy and back him up with the fire bomb. Democritus won't be able to kill you in one turn if you do this. I would also have bombs on a second character and use at least one.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This video's alternate title was "How can I shit-talk Oblivion without mentioning it by name?"

EldarEldrad

Savant
Well, it's me again. I've lowered the difficulty and beat the game at "Nice Guy". Surprisingly, it was very easy. Then I returned back to "Tough Bastard" and here it goes again. But now I have some experience and understanding of mechanics and I have something to say. The game is terribly unbalanced. Dodge is completely useless, enemies in second half of the game generally has no problem to hit dodger with 120 defense. Block is better but it is still not good enough so you generally can't hold the line consistently. Enemies have way too much armor and steel swords do like 0-1 damage and only bleeding and poisoning allow to do any damage. Quite opposite, enemies has no such problems and they hit really hard. And second main problem - the game is way too random, tens of try to a single fight using the same tactics seem exhausting. Generally it all goes down into total unfairness of the fights which is frustrating to say the least.

The AoD was a great game with satisfying combat, and I expected DR to be focused on combat and good therefore. But unfortunately, DR is total decline in combat department and actually much worse game. I hope Colony Ship will be on par with AoD.

Saduj

Arcane
Well, it's me again. I've lowered the difficulty and beat the game at "Nice Guy". Surprisingly, it was very easy. Then I returned back to "Tough Bastard" and here it goes again. But now I have some experience and understanding of mechanics and I have something to say. The game is terribly unbalanced. Dodge is completely useless, enemies in second half of the game generally has no problem to hit dodger with 120 defense. Block is better but it is still not good enough so you generally can't hold the line consistently. Enemies have way too much armor and steel swords do like 0-1 damage and only bleeding and poisoning allow to do any damage. Quite opposite, enemies has no such problems and they hit really hard. And second main problem - the game is way too random, tens of try to a single fight using the same tactics seem exhausting. Generally it all goes down into total unfairness of the fights which is frustrating to say the least.

The AoD was a great game with satisfying combat, and I expected DR to be focused on combat and good therefore. But unfortunately, DR is total decline in combat department and actually much worse game. I hope Colony Ship will be on par with AoD.
It sounds like you are probably spreading skill points too thinly. I personally prefer block but I've always had Marcus as a dodger in my party and he remains very useful through the entire game on Murderous Psychopath. If you post your character here, I'm sure someone will give you advice.

Technomancer

Liturgist
I hope Colony Ship will be on par with AoD.
Its way more forgiving than DR. DR was a bit overtuned since it was their first attempt at party balance. I still managed to beat it on hardest difficulty and by playing solo dodger as my first character ever (latest game build) but yeah, it definitely felt off in some parts.

Due to more open RPG structure AoD had ways to bypath problems (you could avoid fighting all robots) where DR has no alternative ways through combat. So some builds are just fucked and unsupported which is a flaw of design. Like for example, unlike AoD playing 6 STR, non crit sword bleed build is unviable because you can't bleed constructs despite them dropping oil. And these constructs are on steroids to compete with full party power. And yeah, dodge is shafted. I could only find one way to win emperor fight when playing 10 Dodge 10 Dex solo build, and even then it was 50% strategy/50% straight up dicing.

Playing with full party should be perfectly doable though.

Last edited:

EldarEldrad

Savant
Untitled.png

My party right after fighting 4 steel constructs. It was tough ride just like every fight staring with Democritus. Constructs are totally nuts and it is an apotheosis of bad design. The only way to kill them is softening up with 1-2 bombs and then hit them into heads or torso to knockdown hoping they won't crit you. Many retries until it worked at last.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Ok, and on the Emperor fight I officially give up on this. So much RNG shit happens here, it is completely unbearable. Time to switch to another game that is actually good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom