Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elden Ring Critique(s)

Dr1f7

Scholar
gamers are always the victims of hypergamy

Late Bloomer

Scholar
gamers are always the victims of hypergamy

Being of course far removed from such things or I am just an occasional dumbass, I had to look up what hypergamy meant. For anyone not familiar with the word, here is the definition per Wikipedia of all places.

Wiki states
Hypergamy (colloquially referred to as "marrying up" is a term used in social science for the act or practice of a person marrying a spouse of higher caste or social status than themselves. It is mostly practiced by women.

FriendlyMerchant

So... Is this game fixed on PC yet? I don't want to download a broken mess regardless of how free the download is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andnjord

Arcane
So... Is this game fixed on PC yet? I don't want to download a broken mess regardless of how freed the download is.
I've been playing it since march on my laptop, no serious issues that I can think of, game runs smoothly with very few FPS drops and no noticeable bugs. Crashes are probably under 10 in total.

Dhaze

Cipher
So... Is this game fixed on PC yet? I don't want to download a broken mess regardless of how freed the download is.

For me it still stutters a bit in the vast open areas, but nothing really annoying. Also I have severe FPS drops in three very specific places, drops that weren't there prior to 1.04. Had three crashes in about 200 hours of play, all when fast-travelling, with no loss of save data.

ferratilis

Magister
I had to quit playing on release because of the stutters, they were too intrusive. Tried it again last week and it works perfectly now. No crashes or stutters in more than 50 hours, although I'm not sure whether it was fixed by AMD drivers or FromSoft patches.

Hassar

Scholar
Definitely can confirm that the late-game is a serious drop in quality and pacing with hp bloat & monotony becoming serious issues. Those criticisms were legit.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

For me it still stutters a bit in the vast open areas, but nothing really annoying. Also I have severe FPS drops in three very specific places, drops that weren't there prior to 1.04. Had three crashes in about 200 hours of play, all when fast-travelling, with no loss of save data.
Disabling Steam Overlay and launching the game without going through Easy Anti-Cheat did wonders for me. In my current playthrough, I've had constant 60 FPS that dropped to 40ish only during the Gargoyle duo bossfight. For some reason, the combination of the poison vomit and twinblade spin is my PC's nemesis.

Definitely can confirm that the late-game is a serious drop in quality and pacing with hp bloat & monotony becoming serious issues. Those criticisms were legit.
What do you mean by "late-game"? Are Altus Plateau and Leyndell late-game?

If you're only talking about the post-Leyndell open-world area, that's only a very small percentage of the "late-game". And I feel like that's where most of the "bloated and monotonous" content is. Haligtree, Farum Azula, and Ashen Capital are all great, with unique and definitely not monotonous bosses.

Dhaze

Cipher
Disabling Steam Overlay and launching the game without going through Easy Anti-Cheat did wonders for me. In my current playthrough, I've had constant 60 FPS that dropped to 40ish only during the Gargoyle duo bossfight. For some reason, the combination of the poison vomit and twinblade spin is my PC's nemesis.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's already done. Though it should be noted that my computer is barely above the minimum requirements, so it's perfectly fine and understandable that I have some small measure of trouble running the game at 1080p with constant 60fps.

As far's I'm concerned I really only have severe drops:

- when going from Margit's grace to the main gate of Stormveil, for some reason there's a teeny-tiny spot in which I can't stand without losing about 25fps, but if I stand one feet to the side I get my 60fps
- when looking towards the capital while standing in the Fortified Manor's doorway, I lose a solid 20fps but it shoots back up as soon as I move in either direction
- but big far the biggest one is when the Walking Mausoleum in the Consecrated Snowfields does its weird fireworks bombardments and I look to the sky, in which case I lose nearly 40fps and get flashbacks of Blighttown

Visperas

Augur

Some people here don't like this guy and it is a long video but he perfectly describes pretty much all of my issues with Elden Ring in this video.

Dhaze

Cipher
Yeah, I have a hard time taking him seriously since hearing him say that he couldn't get into Mass Effect 3 because running around the galaxy to gather allies was unrealistic given the situation's urgency—but then he's fine with rummaging in file cabinets for fifty hours in Fallout 4 when really you should be searching for you son.

This being said, I thought it was a fine review.

Hassar

Scholar

What do you mean by "late-game"? Are Altus Plateau and Leyndell late-game?

If you're only talking about the post-Leyndell open-world area, that's only a very small percentage of the "late-game". And I feel like that's where most of the "bloated and monotonous" content is. Haligtree, Farum Azula, and Ashen Capital are all great, with unique and definitely not monotonous bosses.

Good point. To clarify, I did not enjoy Farum Azula or the Haligtree. YMMV but while they looked nice, fighting through them, especially the Haligtree, was miserable for my character. I think I re-specced twice to see if my allocations were contributing to the frustration. I do not consider Leyndell late game.

Hassar

Scholar
Video discusses underlying system/code issues. Including detailing the input lag that we’ve been experiencing (and some players want to blame on user error). Discussion at 8:41/18:48.

somerandomdude

Learned
I did a single playthrough with one character, the game wasn't interesting enough to keep me playing. I soloed the whole game, didn't get carried. I laid coop signs down a few times because I wanted to refight a few of the bosses. Getting summoned failed more often than it worked, unlike in Dark Souls games where it just worked. So I dunno what the hell they did on the netcoding end on this game, but whoever did the netcoding for Elden Ring needs fired, and consider bagging groceries at Kroger, or some other menial job that's a better fit for their intelligence and skills, because netcoding is clearly and obviously above their station in life.

Dhaze

Cipher
Disregard the slappable face in the thumbnail, as this guy's critique is actually quite good.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Netcode wah" -- chances are this is due to whatever they've done to try and close up the vulnerability in your system when connected with other players. I'm not saying it means it's suddenly good code, just that you can't really directly compare it with the prior games unless you like having some asshole being able to screw with your game state, possibly get your permanently banned, and possibly corrupt your saves as a trade off.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Long story short, his Jap wife got pregnant, then claimed she had a miscarriage. Turns out she had cheated on him and got an abortion, leading to their divorce. Someone also started a rumor that he was a drug addict which put him at risk of losing custody of his kid. The poor guy went through a lot.

He became hollow.

somerandomdude

Learned
"Netcode wah" -- chances are this is due to whatever they've done to try and close up the vulnerability in your system when connected with other players. I'm not saying it means it's suddenly good code, just that you can't really directly compare it with the prior games unless you like having some asshole being able to screw with your game state, possibly get your permanently banned, and possibly corrupt your saves as a trade off.

Their implementation of EAC is the problem. It's also a source for many of the random crashes people are getting. My game would crash every 3rd or 4th time I got summoned in coop, and even when it didn't crash, I got disconnected half the time, or failed to connect for some odd reason or another. Nothing but issues, consistently.

It sucks to not be able to get invaded with the coop mod, so I think it's slop for sleazy casuls who'd prefer to ride some other player's coat tails without the risk of being invaded and killed by another player. With that being said, it's honestly more stable than the regular multiplayer. I wasn't able to team and coop with my cousin and stay connected for even 5 minutes without getting disconnected, if we were able to connect at all without some error, and we explored the map for a good 45 mins to an hour with a stable connection with the mod. It wasn't without issues, but at least we stayed connected.

I'm hoping that the success of the coop mod will light a fire under From to resolve these issues, otherwise the multiplayer is going to be dead, and everyone looking to coop is just gonna use the mod, and there won't be much activity for invasions or PVP.

Dhaze

Cipher
Since I don't much care for the multiplayer aspect of Elden Ring, I don't play online. But given the number of videos I see floating around, with hacked invincibility, spells and the likes, it seems like EAC is pretty much useless, right?

Hassar

Scholar

Their implementation of EAC is the problem. It's also a source for many of the random crashes people are getting. My game would crash every 3rd or 4th time I got summoned in coop, and even when it didn't crash, I got disconnected half the time, or failed to connect for some odd reason or another. Nothing but issues, consistently.

It sucks to not be able to get invaded with the coop mod, so I think it's slop for sleazy casuls who'd prefer to ride some other player's coat tails without the risk of being invaded and killed by another player. With that being said, it's honestly more stable than the regular multiplayer. I wasn't able to team and coop with my cousin and stay connected for even 5 minutes without getting disconnected, if we were able to connect at all without some error, and we explored the map for a good 45 mins to an hour with a stable connection with the mod. It wasn't without issues, but at least we stayed connected.

I'm hoping that the success of the coop mod will light a fire under From to resolve these issues, otherwise the multiplayer is going to be dead, and everyone looking to coop is just gonna use the mod, and there won't be much activity for invasions or PVP.

From should just implement an actual coop mode even if it just opens players up to multiple invasions. Honestly, one of the reasons I hate invasions (besides the clunkiness, boring pvp builds, unoptimized combat system, etc.) is that sometimes, you get paired with a random person who ends up being really cool. Losing pvp might mean not being able to easily locate that player again. One of the hoys of this game is actually overcoming obstacles with cooperators.

It might seem to clash with their design philosophy but a better feeling than beating a challenge alone is beating that same challenge together. They should tap into that.

Just MHO.

Last edited:

arekks

Novice

Some people here don't like this guy and it is a long video but he perfectly describes pretty much all of my issues with Elden Ring in this video.

I'm mentally retarded so I watched this. I still remember when Joseph Anderson played through Silent Hill 2 and didn't get it at all lol he's a fucking retard... he played Danganronpa and spent 100 hours on the slot machine that game has.... he also iirc liked God of War which is the most normiebait trash imaginable.

That said, he does get most of the truth. He loved the empty, riskless open world, but he also has exactly the correct opinion on the shitty boss design. It's not a bad watch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom