Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you would NEVER play just seeing the cover art alone

Who actually bought games based solely on cover art and/or back side?

The people who wrote the reviews I should think. The only advertisement expected for the majority games was the front and back of boxes. Review access required magazine subscriptions, which cost money. Besides, ain't nobody got time to read, the weekend is only 2 days long! I bought plenty of games just by judging them by their cover and most I had an alright time with. Anyone who wasn't a retard will have more surprises than let downs, provided they also had taste.

gaussgunner

Arcane
header.jpg

1c53ba37fb09f2ef0484fa28e833ca0f1e15cfc24abf55a59bfac36faaee1874_product_tile_300w.webp

895248b2ceb8f2d36f1978d57545d6689594db3c501e8c89a0bf65e390c53435_product_tile_300w.webp

The Decline

Arcane

The people who wrote the reviews I should think. The only advertisement expected for the majority games was the front and back of boxes. Review access required magazine subscriptions, which cost money. Besides, ain't nobody got time to read, the weekend is only 2 days long! I bought plenty of games just by judging them by their cover and most I had an alright time with. Anyone who wasn't a retard will have more surprises than let downs, provided they also had taste.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I had to be very careful with my game purchases since they were few and far between. And by the time I could waste money on a blind purchase I already conditioned myself to make sure the game wasn't shit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Who actually bought games based solely on cover art and/or back side? I always read previews and reviews before deciding to pick up a game.

*Edit*
Or word of mouth.

Me. I bought Police Quest 3 strictly on the packaging. Of course, I only paid, like, $3.00, having gotten it in the discount/closeout bin, so...

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I had to be very careful with my game purchases since they were few and far between. And by the time I could waste money on a blind purchase I already conditioned myself to make sure the game wasn't shit.

I had a shitty turn of the century Windows ME machine until 2005, so most of my purchases were confined to stuff that was in the bargain bin, or pricier compilations of classic games. Ironically, being trapped in 1996-2000 for so long probably saved me a lot of money.

Melcar

Arcane
me
Same. When I got into PC gaming most stuff I got to play were games I got from the bargain bins at my nearby Fry's or demo compilations from magazines. On some ocassions my stepmom would take me to CompUSA and buy me an expensive PC game for my birthday. The box art and text were what decided if a game was worth it or not most of the time.

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
upload_2022-5-24_11-45-35.png

I mean, even Twinsen and Dino-Fly look embarrassed to be part of this...

I remember seeing this at the store and thinking "WTF is this kiddie shit," and then picking it up some time later due to the positive review in CGW. I enjoyed the game and its sequel, but I distinctly remember making sure I kept the box cover-side down when walking to the counter to pay for it.

297098_front.jpg

Not many people know about Tank Racer. It's not exactly bad, it's just a combination of awfully generic name and cover. Still, one of my favorite arcade racers of all time.

SLES-01248-F-ALL.jpg

Again, not bad, just generic, in total dissonance to how original game was in every other aspect.

126901-jagged-alliance-2-windows-front-cover.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Again, not bad, just generic, in total dissonance to how original game was in every other aspect.
I've never really looked at this before, but now that you mention it, this is several levels of bad. Its like the Mona Lisa of bad covers, every time you look at it again, you uncover something new and even worse. Why is some Nordic-looking fellow wielding what seems to be a Walther MPL? I don't think that was in the original game or its expansions, though I haven't ever played Wildfire. Why are Ivan, Gus, Reaper, Spider, Dr. Q and Shadow on the cover? Are they supposed to be the dream team, as it were?

DemonKing

Arcane
Who actually bought games based solely on cover art and/or back side? I always read previews and reviews before deciding to pick up a game.

Back in the early 90s I would routinely buy stuff based on the cover art/back of the box because there was no interwebs to look up reviews on or find other peoples opinions.

Found some great stuff that way Like the first Lands of Lore game (also a lot of crap too of course...).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Also, any art that sports a character that wears a hood when it's not raining.

9mc0sbkregk11.png

Hoods are so retarded. It's insane how much they reduce your perception, which is kind of important for an assassin. As much as I disliked Splinter Cell (for its extreme linearity), at least they got that part right with a tight fitting mask instead.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
View attachment 24589

I mean, even Twinsen and Dino-Fly look embarrassed to be part of this...

I remember seeing this at the store and thinking "WTF is this kiddie shit," and then picking it up some time later due to the positive review in CGW. I enjoyed the game and its sequel, but I distinctly remember making sure I kept the box cover-side down when walking to the counter to pay for it.
This reminds me: I felt the same way when I once bought a Bill Wyman solo album called Monkey Grip. In a misguided artistic decision, Bill thought it would be cute to have himself photographed for the back of the album of him standing with a cool Fonzie pose as two of his long-haired male bandmates looked on at him and giggled and whispered into each other's ears like giddy groupies. It was so homo I was totally embarrassed to bring that album up front to the owner of the record store for check out, and made sure the LP was facing front cover UP. But of course, the owner turned it over and said, "What is this?!" To make matters worse, the owner was the father of a girl in my class. On the plus side, the album was in the discount bin for like $1.50 (Bill was not a solo artist commercial success). On the negative side, the music on that album was every bit as terrible as that faggy back cover suggested.

Hoods are so retarded. It's insane how much they reduce your perception, which is kind of important for an assassin. As much as I disliked Splinter Cell (for its extreme linearity), at least they got that part right with a tight fitting mask instead.

Yeah, they do serve a purpose for certain character classes, but if the primary purpose is anonymity, there are better options. Certainly if your profession is criminal.

That aside, for inclement weather or temperatures yes, but I give them a pass on casters and scholastic types as well. That old wizard locked in his tower all day may want to wear his hood inside to keep his attention fixed on the treatise he's writing, rather than on the goblin lackies toppling his book piles while attempting to clean up his lab.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom