Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
by the way. i forgot to post this but please for the love of god let me set an option to see a hot babe while browsing the new site.
6YT4EKD.png
I want her on new site.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The Codex is a safe space. Change threatens their safety.

We go through this every time there's an upgrade.
The buttons were a shit addition, they haven't brought anything good to this site.
Eh. Buttons are nice because they removed what was sometimes a literal page with no information, just
This.
+1
:brofist:
and so on.

They're also a nice way to establish bad posts dynamically, without the user needing to be tagged for everyone who reads it to know that it's nonsense. There are also problems with buttons of course, but overall I'm neutral positive.

shywn

Savant
Anyone noticed how clicking on an image in a post, instead of enlarging it, leads to a gallery view?
That'll make let's plays so much better now that you can just skip all the text.

Gibson

Learned
I need to zoom a little bit, but I'm not completely blind - therefore i do not approve of the new design.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DarkUnderlord The new test site looks absolutely fucking horrendous. One of the best things about RPGCodex is the current layout and style. Everything is optimized for the perfect viewer experience, and there isn't a single thing about it that should be changed. If switching to XF2 is a must, then please work on the test version until it at least closely resembles what we currently have so that we can properly assess it. If we switched to the current style, it would quite literally lead to a worse experience and actively demotivate people from spending time on this website.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
DarkUnderlord i summon thee boss to humbly request something very basic;

Breaks. A post is made. A break usually follows. As it does here. A new post appears below it. Another break after it. Nice and separate. New version doesn't have those.
Yes, one can deduce, but it's not as easy on the eyes as the 'traditional'(?) way of presenting things. If a simple line or any other form of demarcation could be added it'd be much better.

'Cause you also have their fucking signatures below their posts, right before someone else's post begins.
And ironically? There is a demarcation line after their inane postings and before their signatures, but none after the signatures.
(yes, there is space.. like i said one deduces the evident, but why not help the eye some)

Ignore my custom filters/layout, just look at it:

vNxB3cG.png

Help the anal elderlies of the world with post breaks.
If that's not possible, at least increase the space between different posts a little bit. Way too close on one another as it is.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
New site at 150% zoom looks worse than the current one at 125%.

But seriously, it still looks like shit. You don't have to "reinvent" anything, just copy the existing one as faithfully as you can. The colours and fonts of the current one are perfect, you don't need to change anything about them. I really don't like the new fonts, neither the new colours (too contrasty).

Some things just don't need to change.

As discussed, even the font size is a moot point, everybody can use zoom, I use it all the time, it works fine.

If you need to upgrade the forum software, just migrate the current theme and do the absolute minimal amount of changes while keeping the existing design. Job done.

soulburner

Cipher
When I loaded the new test site I thought I clicked some old April fools joke someone left behind and forgot to remove.

* the colors are bad. The current site has a good balance of being easy on the eyes and easy to read. The new one has a too bright font on a too dark background. Posts are not visually separated in a comfortable way

* the font face looks weird at 1080p with no scaling or zooming. I never needed to zoom the current site, but I have to zoom the new one because the letters kind of blur with each other

* padding. If you want to be mobile friendly, use CSS rules which are mobile friendly... on mobile. Let me see a proper desktop experience on a desktop screen. If I'm on 1080p 24" display, I don't want to see anything larger or more padded than it is on the current site. If I'm on a 27 inch 4K display I'm already using operating system scaling so just stop

* a mix of rounded and square corners all over the place. Are you trying to mimic Windows 11?

* website download size increased by almost 60 kB

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
* the colors are bad. The current site has a good balance of being easy on the eyes and easy to read. The new one has a too bright font on a too dark background. Posts are not visually separated in a comfortable way

* the font face looks weird at 1080p with no scaling or zooming. I never needed to zoom the current site, but I have to zoom the new one because the letters kind of blur with each other

* padding. If you want to be mobile friendly, use CSS rules which are mobile friendly... on mobile. Let me see a proper desktop experience on a desktop screen. If I'm on 1080p 24" display, I don't want to see anything larger or more padded than it is on the current site. If I'm on a 27 inch 4K display I'm already using operating system scaling so just stop

* a mix of rounded and square corners all over the place. Are you trying to mimic Windows 11?

Like this guy said. I've emphasized the issues, I 100% agree with them and they bother me a great deal too. Whoever is responsible for the new design, please read the above points 5 times in a row, slowly, and let them sink in.

I've noticed the exact same things, many people noticed the exact same things, these are real issues. The new design is vastly inferior to the current one.

How I see it, you have two options:
  • hire/bribe a real experienced designer to come up with something that is truly an improvement over the current design
  • if that is not possible for whatever reason, just copy the current design *slavishly* because you won't make it better if you don't know what you're doing
Just don't change anything because you think "it's better" if you're not a designer with a good eye and experience. There's 90% chance it won't be an improvement at all.

If you're incapable of doing that, just use the simplest default template, and then ask someone from the userbase who is experienced with CSS to create a 1:1 replica of the current theme in the new system -- I think there will be a lot of people willing to help with that instead of living with the "new experience".

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I've noticed another missing feature - links in spoilertags have same color as regular text in newshit 'Foro:

dDaLr32.png

Glorious oldfag 'Foro:

ob9te7n.png

Plz fix.

spekkio

Arcane
You're new to this site, aren't you?

Once DU sets his mind on sth, resistance only makes his their clit harder.

:(

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Spoiler tags with nested quotes don't work.

Easy enough to remove "max-height: 150px;" from ".bbCodeBlock--expandable .bbCodeBlock-expandContent".
But that still leaves the "expand" buttons around - I presume you can edit the template to get rid of the button, and the other container.

upload_2022-5-25_22-43-55.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom