Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you loved but that would never play again

800px-Sport_discus_for_men_%282_kg%29_IAAF_certified.jpg
s.

curds

Magister
BG2. I rather enjoyed it (didn't love it, though), yet can't imagine playing very far into it again, at least for a very long time. I don't care for Infinity Engine combat, and BG2 is a long game with a lot of combat.

BG2 in the ToEE engine, I would replay. Probably annually.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ultima IV - loved it, had a huge impression on me and was cutting edge when I played it. Its still charming and has a lot to offer, but I could never do it again. Once through was enough.
Wizardry 8 - loved it, didn't even mind the fights on that road, just liked it overall. However, that game took ~100 hours to complete.
Anachronox - Great story, memorable characters, worth playing once. Should have cut the game in half and released it as two games.

Baldur's Gate II - Loved playing through it but it took me like two years to finish due to interruptions. Chapter 2 was such a handful for a completionist like me, took ages to get it over with. Probably will never play it again or at least not for another decade or so.
Conan Exiles - After you maintain a really nicely constructed base for over four years only for it to decay when you have computer trouble, there's no force on earth or heaven that will put that creative inspiration back in you to rebuild. This goes for practically any building game I've played.
Mount & Blade: Warband - Similar issue to Conan. Did it once was super fun, too tedious to ever do again.
LA: Noire - I have too good a memory for this to ever be playable again.

I could come up with far more games I thought were merely good/decent that I'd never replay again.

SumDrunkGuy

A very recent example for me would be Tormented Souls in it's current state. There's only one difficulty and no unlockables. There's no reason to go through it again except for achievements and I don't give a fuck about achievements.

Beans00

Augur
SS1/SS2/THIEF 1/2. Loved those games but just can't see myself playing them again.

STALKER games. Played the shit out of them when they were new, no motivation to go back to them.

jimster

Educated
There aren't really any games I "loved" that I wouldn't replay... Games I liked yeah, but I'd want to replay all of my beloved games at some point. Even Undertale (which might be a "like" Idk) after the three routes would still be fun for the dialog and bullet hell parts. I never really liked it for the twist anyway. I've replayed Portal 1 multiple times after I've forgotten the puzzles too.

Hell I'd even play the educational flash games I played as a kid for nostalgia's sake...

Aemar

Arcane
The Witcher series. I liked those action adventure games yet I don't see a single reason to play them ever again.
Stronghold/Stronghold Crusader. Used to play these games to death for a very long time.
Path of Exile. It's all too tiresome.
Counter-Strike. The original release used to be all the rage back in the day. Lost interest in it years ago.

3 others

Scholar
Might not fit with the intention of the thread but I have no intention to return to the Return of the Obra Dinn, as 10/10 as it was.

Zlaja

Arcane
Conan Exiles - After you maintain a really nicely constructed base for over four years only for it to decay when you have computer trouble, there's no force on earth or heaven that will put that creative inspiration back in you to rebuild

6hmxwr.jpg

The Witcher series. I liked those action adventure games yet I don't see a single reason to play them ever again

I think Witcher 2 is worth one replay, because of how the game is structured. In fact, it feels like a must, unless you really didn't like the game.

Vatnik Wumao
Pretty much all enjoyable RPGs that I've already played, number of times before I reach that point depending on how much C&C there is. Once I've gotten to experience enough of it as for a new playthrough to feel repetitive, then I can't be bothered to replay them anymore.

Also open world games like Far Cry 3 and 4 once I've done a completionist run.

SilentSeeker

Novice
Anachronox - Great story, memorable characters, worth playing once. Should have cut the game in half and released it as two games.

They did- that's why it ends on a cliffhanger. As I recall, back in 2010, Tom Hall said "If I don't make the game in the next ten years, I'll post what the story would've been on my website". Then he stopped updating his website and migrated to Twitter. I'd go there and bug him about it (I'm still curious), but I lack the requisite self-loathing to join that platform.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
STALKER - Tried to replay recently but after being spoiled with modern milsim gun handling, has become unplayable to me. Also the games lack the world interaction I have to enjoy from games.
Legend of Grimrock 1 - The game becomes a cakewalk after discovering the square dance tactic.
Minecraft - In recent years the limitations and lack of quality of life features has become too overwhelming.
Garry's Mod - It is borderline impossible to find a gamemode that is not a reskin of DarkRP or TTT. I will forever miss the days of Flood.
Ultima 4 - Ultima 5 is an improvement in every way possible save for the unique scenario presented by the fourth game.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
LucasArts adventure games:

Monkey Island 1 & 2
Indy 3 & 4
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit The Road

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom