Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - New Remasters of Final Fantasy I-VI

1645232780501.jpg
Sabin was always my favorite final fantasy character, ever since I was a kid.
Tossing a ghost train off the rails? Check
Holding up a fuckin' burning house on the verge of collapse? Check
Tossing steel beams of Kefka's tower left and right to save your bros? Check
Survived being washed up on another continent after deciding to jump into a raging river to wrestle a giant octopus? Check
The man is badass incarnate.

Casual Hero

Augur
I want to replay FF5, but it looks like I'll just be going with the GBA version again. (Plus the SNES soundtrack restoration mod)

Multi-headed Cow updates are my favourite posts in this thread.
Sorry to be letting you down, but the going's been slow due to card games, Ion Fury, and then a buddy of mine challenging me to play Persona 4 since he absolutely hated it and I figured I would hate it too since it looks like some anime-ass anime but due to the power of weed and Final Fantasy I haven't been having a terrible time with it. Could also be because 4 hours in and it feels like it's still extended tutorial, and he did say it gets far worse later.

Most recent FF4 shenanigans was hitting the "Sylvan cave" and exploring. Absolute ton of chests and kind of cool twisty dungeon, reminded me of a less shitty take on FF2 dungeons. Less outright dead ends but some nice hidden passages and layout. Got to the bottom and found Yang being cared for by some fairies so it seems like everyone's not really dead. I can only assume Tellah's going to show up due to magical fuckery and then Palom and Porom will get stone to flesh'd which seemed like the most reasonable ones to come back. Does slightly make me wonder if they had some backlash from absolutely fucking everybody dying in FF2, since in FF3 they pulled the "I'm dead lol not really" with Desch (I guess arguably the big wizards die but they weren't companions and they made it clear they're going to wizard heaven) and now in FF4 they're doing it again.
Speaking of twisty though, the land of summons was sorta neat. I guess it's Sigil since you've got wildly different monsters/spirits/etc all hanging out together, only instead of being a ring they're on multiple floating layers stacked on top of one another. Haven't noticed any time jump in the story from before and after I entered the land of summons, thought there might be since Rydia explained her sudden tits and ass because time flows differently there. That'd mean time flows faster there, and she spend years there while the party spent at most a few days and more realistically not even a full day so we should've popped back out to the real world nearly as soon as we went there. Makes sense nothing came of it but I like time fuckery so it's a mild bummer.
And here's an obligatory screenshot, although even further back than the land of summons. Didn't really bump into anything that felt screenworthy in the sylvan cave.

B03950038B61B4BEEF1672BDC32B11EACB35CEA6

Casual Hero

Augur
Yikes; probably just my own preference, but I don't think that sounds so great. I wonder if there is an option for Japanese audio.

Well, I guess Celes isn't a trained opera singer.

Neuromancer

Augur
Fully voiced opera scene

Honestly, I prefer the voice in the mod version, ymmv.

They are both bad, IMO.

In the first video, the voice is flat and her singing is bland, boring and slightly off tune.

The singer of the second video uses way too much vibrato (even for an opera) and she kind of "smears" the transitions between notes. I also have the impression she is off-tune, but this maybe because of the smearing and the exaggerated vibrato. Either way, it's terrible.

Duraframe300

Arcane
In the first video, the voice is flat and her singing is bland, boring and slightly off tune.

The singer of the second video uses way too much vibrato (even for an opera) and she kind of "smears" the transitions between notes. I also have the impression she is off-tune, but this maybe because of the smearing and the exaggerated vibrato. Either way, it's terrible.

Good point, but I personally can overlook a lot if it isn't the boring, and as you pointed out the new official one got boring in spades. Which is why I prefer the second one.

Would be interesting if there was a much better version around that could be modded in.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Good point, but I personally can overlook a lot if it isn't the boring, and as you pointed out the new official one got boring in spades. Which is why I prefer the second one.

Would be interesting if there was a much better version around that could be modded in.

Neuromancer show us how it's done! I can't wait to hear your magical music pipes!

F3330E3F542E523480CC88F08AA3A61FC3D4488E

The real Final Fantasy 4 was the chocobos we rode along the way.

My opinion ended up being a bit more mixed than I thought it would be after enjoying it so much early on. The final dungeon and boss might take the cake for the least entertaining in a FF game thus far (The emperor in 2 was a pushover too IIRC but I do remember hell being a little more interesting than "Floating cave land") and the world exploration didn't have as good of a "Flow" to it, for lack of a better term. Not as good about giving you hints about secrets/where to go/etc by talking to random NPCs in every town, possibly because the towns tended to have more characters in them. Also thought it was a little cheap how they fake-kill basically the entire goddamn roster of characters only to bring almost all of them back. RIP Tellah and his daughter, sucks to be Edward.
To continue the least entertaining bitching, the enemy design didn't seem as cool in 4. Balance-wise things were alright until the late game, but I'm talking about the sprites. There are still some cool looking monsters but it didn't feel as good as 1-3, matter of personal taste of course but I come to ramble about what I've been thinking about the FF games as I slowly get through 'em.

Edgelord didn't get Rydia in the end which was a little surprising, and the moon men flew the moon off into deep space because reasons. That left me a little puzzled since I didn't remember any reason WHY they should fly the moon away, I vaguely remember Fusoya talking about how they were sleeping until the earthlings had advanced so maybe they decided that time had come so they... Left? Speaking of Fusyoa, I will provide a bonus picture because his sprite grew on me. Laughed about his 5head at first but his flashing bright red eyes while casting and especially his death-sprite were great. And speaking of moon men, little odd that Golbez is Cecil's brother and then flies off with the other moon men because of his alien blood but Cecil's left behind to become king. I assume it's because Golbez is fucked up after being mind controlled by the big bad so he needs his peace while Cecil's still in fine shape, but I'm pulling this out of my ass since the majority of the dialog was "Cecil..." "Golbez..." "Cecil..." "..." "..." "..." "I'm leaving..." "..." "..." "GOLBEZ... MY BROTHER..."
Was a little weird that Yang became a king. Edward makes sense, Edgelord makes sense, Cecil doesn't REALLY make sense but since he's a paladin I will assume people just stuck him on the throne, but I didn't remember Yang having any real claim to it. Was slightly interesting that after his experience of being locked in a pixie sex dungeon for god knows how long once he's finally reunited with his wife he immediate blows her off to go rasslin' with sweaty half naked men.

Little surprised how much I'm bitching about it since I really did enjoy it, but it felt like the ending soured me on it a bit so that's what's most immediately in my mind. Looking forward to 5 since that sounds like it may become my favorite since it sounds like it's back to open fucking around. Will likely take another sizable break before starting it, especially due to Persona 4 now squatting on my JRPG time (Which has also been a rollercoaster of opinion but surprisingly enough it's still trending toward positive) but the FF-train will keep rolling.

Bonus Fusoya:
28FFD30DEFC6F1035B73C4F884C0E65A7337B793
Bonus stunties:
F7F2374D992B5270F6EF007962E2231AF4ABDFC2

Enjoy it, it's my absolute favorite in the series.
Certainly sounds promising since I've been the happiest when Final Fantasy's not about the story and it's just simple exploration and dungeon crawling and adventuring. Have yet to come to a satisfying way of expressing the exact combination of factors that makes it work or not since "Exploring and crawling dungeons and fighting" is like 99% of RPGs in general and yet making that distillation of RPG-ness fun in itself is difficult to pull off. Fingers crossed on 5 doing that too but everything I've heard about it sounds like it'll be the case.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The final dungeon and boss might take the cake for the least entertaining in a FF game thus far...

Agreed. I thought the Lunar Subterrane itself was ok, and it helped that you get all the best weapons and armor there (makes it feel better), but once you get to the Crystal Halls, right before Zeromus... ugh. Nothing but Glass Heads, King Behemoths and Red Dragons. What a slog. I usually end up just running from every fight at that point.

DE657A75382F69D31F8664DC2A5B9D96A8B1E04B

Never got a big title sequence so enjoy this tasteful rape which FF5 is surprisingly full of. Mostly with the princess but let us not forget the PC and the old dude wanting to run a train on the pirate when they thought she was a guy.

After a long break of fucking around with other games, back to Final Fantasy. 5's been fantastic so far, has more cutscenes than 4 which surprised me since the bit I'd heard about the games suggested 4 was a "Story" FF and 5 was more like going back to the older ones, but it's arguably been doing more story cutscenes than 4. Enjoying the return of goofy adventurers doing shit, the job system seems absolutely fantastic, and the combat balance has been really enjoyable thus far. Nothing too difficult but you need to keep everyone topped up on life more than the other games, and there hasn't been much of cheese/gimmick encounters. Bosses haven't been all that hot thus far, but the enemy sprites have had some really nice designs. Music's been fun too, feels more energetic than any of the other games and it's been pleasingly funky.

In the intervening time between finishing 4 and starting 5 I started a run of Might and Magic 6 just to compare my feelings about M&M and FF since I'd previously said FF was giving me those "Smooth to play" feelings, and while that's true I gotta say FF does nail it better than M&M. There's a lot more going on in M&M (Which is funny to say since they're so laid back) but they both have the general gist of getting a party of adventurers and being dumped into a world without much guidance other than a natural desire to explore and talk to NPCs and pick up tidbits. M&M's meatier and a whole hell of a lot longer since these FF games have been in the 15-20 hour range for the most part but I wasn't completely crazy when I was having M&M feelings while trying FF for the first time.

So yeah, not much of an update other than to say FF5's looking like another banger. More generally speaking I still have mixed feelings about the kind of rut that FF seems to have fallen in to. The crystals don't much bother me just as an excuse for adventure, but airships and chocobos and such do take away a sense of just throwing a bunch of weird shit at wall. I've got this weird conflict going on where I liked the D&D knockoff that was FF1 and like some of the now getting standardized FF things like black mages, but on the other hand I'd like them to just go bonkers. I think 6 7 and 8 supposedly shake things up more so whenever I get to those I'll have to see how I feel, since as it is I do like sword and sorcery but it'd be more fun if they were more dramatically changing it game to game. THEN AGAIN they're made for kids to play on consoles so they probably wanted them to have familiarity.

Hassar

Scholar
The final dungeon and boss might take the cake for the least entertaining in a FF game thus far...

Agreed. I thought the Lunar Subterrane itself was ok, and it helped that you get all the best weapons and armor there (makes it feel better), but once you get to the Crystal Halls, right before Zeromus... ugh. Nothing but Glass Heads, King Behemoths and Red Dragons. What a slog. I usually end up just running from every fight at that point.

The bgm and having such a solid team usually motivated me to grind there until max level.

Tehdagah

Arcane
About VI

• Extra content from the the Advance version is not included, including the two bonus dungeons (Dragons' Den and Soul Shrine) and superbosses (Kaiser Dragon and Omega Weapon), as well as the four additional espers (Leviathan, Gilgamesh, Cactuar, and Diabolos).
:betrayed:

somerandomdude

Learned
The only one worth getting (IMHO) is the 3rd one.

1, 2, 4, 5, 6 all got better 2D remasters, or other 2D versions with additional content.

So, if you pick just one to buy, I'd recommend the 3rd.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I want to replay FF5, but it looks like I'll just be going with the GBA version again. (Plus the SNES soundtrack restoration mod)

Given enough time I'm 100% sure someone is going to mod the Pixel Remasters into the ultimate versions, with: 1) choose your own sprite set / sprite aesthetic, and 2) choose your own balance (restored original balance, austitic modder ultra-hard, etc).

The 2nd thing is already (mostly) done, and people fixed the sprites in the FF5 and Chrono Trigger remasters, so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom