Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expect to get spoiled

FeelTheRads

Arcane
We don't have side quests that can wait. Each town has a "theme" - events that involve all factions. For example, Teron's events revolve around the Imperial Guards attempting to take over. So, one of the assassins quest is killing the IG commander, which would prevent the takeover. It can't wait. If you playing for the guards, you'll be doing your best to help them to take the town over. Can't wait. They will attempt the takeover with or without you, just like other factions involved will respond with or without you. If you leave and come back a few months later, you'll find that things have changed and some factions are no longer there.

One more thing... isn't it possible at least to randomize the outcomes of the quests? Since I understand that there are more outcomes and they are all viable if you do them, why is it that without you they always end the same way?
We're getting back to the same problem of it being all about you, which some people here somehow think you've dealt with.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So VD, judging by the way quests auto-complete in the game, I would assume that two types of quests do not exist:

1. Quests that require you to get something from another settlement, or otherwise do something somewhere else. (Or even quests where you deliberately get sent to another town and have to report back later?)

2. Quests that aren't that urgent.

Is this correct?

1. Quests that require you to get something from another settlement, or otherwise do something somewhere else. (Or even quests where you deliberately get sent to another town and have to report back later?)

would create nice c&C. You'd have to choose between quests (if you leave town for quest A, you lose the chance to complete quest A on time)

Castanova

Prophet
VD:

Why does this game need a 3D world? Using a text adventure format/static background format would have allowed you to build the same exact (or better, according to Codex Hivemind standards) game but in about 1/10th the amount of time. You could have easily accompanied each location with beautifully rendered art which, no doubt, would look better than an indie-developed 3D environment and the player would be spared from the pointless exercise of having to watch the PC walk through the world. You could get straight to the dialogs with their extensive choices and consequences. Additionally, since you control only one character and the combat is turn-based, you could have infused the combat with much more interesting/customized events which are not feasible in a grid-based system (each battle could have been completely unique).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
FeelTheRads said:
See... that's really good. I assume there will be minor quests too? Can you find out in anyway the outcome of those?
Yes. Feng vs Cassius is a minor quest. You'll be told what happened if you come back.

You keep talking about the urgency and that quests can't wait, but as long as you stay there they CAN wait it seems. That's my biggest problem, and excuses like "this game doesn't makes it all about you" do not cut it.
Do not cut it? You seem to be VERY ANGRY ABOUT THIS VIDEO GAME!!!

Time isn't measured in AoD. There is no day/night cycle. For all you know, you spent no more than a day or two in this town, and during this relatively short time you can take care about all the urgent matters. No? Still doesn't cut it?

and bitching about a completely logical system to deal with a major flaw in rpgs
I think I've shown in doesn't really deal with it...
Yeah. You sure did.

One more thing... isn't it possible at least to randomize the outcomes of the quests?
It's possible, but I don't like random things.

Since I understand that there are more outcomes and they are all viable if you do them, why is it that without you they always end the same way?
Why shouldn't they?

We're getting back to the same problem of it being all about you, which some people here somehow think you've dealt with.
You don't understand. You should be able to affect events, otherwise, what the fuck is the point of playing? You are an extra card in the deck. By this alone, you have the power to change things. The issue here isn't "why are you changing things", but why nothing gets done without you. You leave a location and the life there stops. This is what we fixed.

Korgan

Arbiter
I'm buying AoD. First I'll remove it from VD's inventory, sure, but it'll undoubtedly get released here, so I'll buy it and give it to a friend with less-then-excellent English. Can't be arsed to get a credit card other than that shitty Visa Electron they gave me at work.

Korgan said:
I'm buying AoD. First I'll remove it from VD's inventory, sure, but it'll undoubtedly get released here, so I'll buy it and give it to a friend with less-then-excellent English. Can't be arsed to get a credit card other than that shitty Visa Electron they gave me at work.
Fuck credit cards, they're the work of the Jews. Debit cards 4lyfe.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dicksmoker said:
So VD, judging by the way quests auto-complete in the game, I would assume that two types of quests do not exist:

2. Quests that aren't that urgent.

Is this correct?
Not exactly.

1. Main Quest quests are never auto-completed. They are not urgent and require traveling and exploring.

2. Side quests are auto-completed and usually urgent. Side quests are auto-completed when you leave a major location. A major location includes all satellite locations. For example, Teron's satellites are the raiders camp and the mining outpost. You can go there without triggering auto-completing.

3. We have no generic fedex quests.

Vault Dweller said:
2. Side quests are auto-completed and usually urgent. Side quests are auto-completed when you leave a major location. A major location includes all satellite locations. For example, Teron's satellites are the raiders camp and the mining outpost. You can go there without triggering auto-completing.
Is there a sense of urgency to the game? Time limits have always given me stress and thus displeasure whenever I play games, the relief after I found the water chip in Fallout 1 was immense.

Vault Dweller

Developer
There are no time limits. The main quest is about finding a temple and figuring out what to do with it. No urgency there. Take your time. The side quests are about power grabs. There is a sense of urgency, but as long as you stay in a major location, you'll be able to get involved in all local events.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I make the choice not to read the thread, I'm already sold on AoD and don't want any more spoilers. I already regret knowing that my being the chosen one is a lie!

ushdugery

Scholar
I'm curious about the size it will be so I know whether to buy the download version or just order it.

oscar

Arcane
Mad Max style action

Yes. I've always thought this would suit rpg's alot better then "lol he's got 10,000,00 hit points lets just whittle each other down for 2 hours or until I run out of potions".

Short, savage combat with a sense of urgency and danger where anyone half competent can be a serious threat to you and if your attacked by a large group your pretty much going to be pwned.

Plus I'm all for not doing quests actually causing them to pan out differantly. Loving it VD.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I'm sure I'll check this game out. But at the moment the writing feels a little swollen - I imagine after a while I'll end up skimming those paragraphs for the meat rather than reading each sentence, which is a shame.

I guess my constructive suggestion would be to have someone trim and/or sharpen the writing. I realise this may not be possible, given your budget and team size.

Regardless, the game seems very promising.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mr. Teatime said:
But at the moment the writing feels a little swollen - I imagine after a while I'll end up skimming those paragraphs for the meat rather than reading each sentence, which is a shame.
That's odd, I always felt AoD had a nicely simple style, straight to the point without fussing around. I'm pretty sure all attempts at improving the prose involved making it more verbose.

skyway

Educated
Mr. Teatime said:
Portal
Monday, 22 December 2008

How awesome is Portal?

Its foundation is a puzzle solving video game but it's better written than anything else I've played this year, with the possible exception of Braid. Unfortunately I'm struggling to justify this without giving the plot away, so I'll just say it's well worth playing if you're even vaguely interested in intelligent computer games.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm looking forward to it all. VD, any more vids for the game?
I wanna see some of the graphics in action, what with the skins and weapons and animations (particularly the death ones).

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
skyway said:
Mr. Teatime said:
Portal
Monday, 22 December 2008

How awesome is Portal?

Its foundation is a puzzle solving video game but it's better written than anything else I've played this year, with the possible exception of Braid. Unfortunately I'm struggling to justify this without giving the plot away, so I'll just say it's well worth playing if you're even vaguely interested in intelligent computer games.

Yep, I loved Portal, including its interesting and well-told plot. Didn't you like it?

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Oh right, I did get that vibe from him :P

Anyway - I took another look at some AoD screens. The writing seems better than most other computer games, so I was nitpicking. Even the more unique fantasy doesn't appeal to me as it used to, which maybe influenced my opinion.

Ausir

Arcane
It would be interesting if there were actually new side quests triggered by the default outcome of the side quests you didn't do.

YourDaddy

Educated
Come on.

It's thursday already!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom