Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lionheart: As good as it gets

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
It strikes me that everywhere I go, pretty much, there are people writing about Lionheart, often spurred by the release of marketing tidbits. I suppose it's pretty natural, since it's the best publicised RPG title in the foreseeable future, but I'm really starting to think that the game - even if fairly good - might not measure up to the anticipation.

Maybe anticpation it the best part of CRPGs, as it is a lot of other things in life. Then again, maybe we're buying into artificially created hype and dooming our chances of enjoying the game when it's released.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Most sites won't even post Lionheart stuff, like developer chats I've organized. Really, I can't say that there's much hype for the game other than what you see on the fan sites and the BIS site.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
I was really talking about our own hype, although it is fed by marketing information releases. A fair number of forums devote a lot of time to Lionheart discussion. As a community, we examine and debate every latest piece of information, from screenshots to game mechanics to setting, etc. By the time the game gets released, most of us will have built up a mountain of expectations and a huge list of thoroughly considered preferences.

Are we sabotaging our potential for enjoying the game? It might be preferable to have a game that comes with a fresh feel, rather than a history of angsty debate.

Anonymous

The funny thing is that we really haven't started hyping the game yet. We are still working out our ads and trailers and all that good stuff. As far as expectations go, I know I have mine for the game and hopefully they're the same or close to yours. I truly believe that Lionheart will offer a unique gaming experience. Now we have to work to make that happen and that is what we're doing.

Vikjunk

Novice
Story wise Lionheart has a good chance of being a good game, even though the story has a feel like it's an excuse to like a D&D game... :D

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
BISWolf said:
The funny thing is that we really haven't started hyping the game yet. We are still working out our ads and trailers and all that good stuff. As far as expectations go, I know I have mine for the game and hopefully they're the same or close to yours. I truly believe that Lionheart will offer a unique gaming experience. Now we have to work to make that happen and that is what we're doing.

I manage to avoid the type of hype that you boys put out, generally. I don't read mags or mag sites and I've evolved the necessary blindspot for not seeing advertising. I'm finding it harder to avoid the high levels of community anticipation. I think I'm just going to have to stop reading threads about Lionheart.

I believe the antipation factor, while interesting, ultimately only serves the game vendor. More anticipation translates directly to better sales (obviously), but may actually translate to lower enjoyment. If games companies were primarily concerned about our enjoyment of the game, they'd be very careful about how they hype. If the community was a little more wise, we'd be more careful, too.

VasikkA

Liturgist
Well, there's also a lot of negative hype from the Fallout community. At least they have a good chance being positively surprised when the game gets released.

I personally look forward to this game and I think it has a lot of potential of being an enjoyable game.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
I'm heartily sick of fantasy. I was really peeved at Lionheart being fantasy, and the Disjunction looked to me like someone had gone into a meeting and brsinstormed some rationalisations for magic, then built a setting around it.

However, since they have narrowly missed including Elves (the Sylvants measuring only about 5 on my Elfometer), there is a ray of hope.

Maybe if I play sci-fi a lot between now and its release, I'll work up some real enthusiasm.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
I'm sworn to secrecy about the game's storyline, but let me tell you something:

It isn't an excuse for D&D.

As am I, and I say that's not entirely a true statement. It may not be straight up D&D/High Fantasy, but there's a hell of a lot that is D&D/Tolkien/High Fantasy about this game. You can add a liberal twist of lemon to tea, that doesn't make it lemonade. It's still tea.

That's not saying it won't be a good game. I just wish they'd gone with something other than the fantasy setting creatures we've seen dozens of times in D&D games.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Huh.
I will hold off on the DND clone or not argument until I at least get a demo.
However, at the moment the only thing that annoys me about the game is a serious lack of Byzantines.
I mean for Christ's sake, THEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN DESTROYED!
I think that if there is any part of Europe surviving, I am guessing that it would be Greece, with it's hills and stuff. Yeah, that is the word, stuff.
Not only that, but the Mongol excuse is crap.
The Mongols avoided any town that would pay them, and Byzantium was rolling in it's own gold.

BISWolf

Novice
How do you figure that Lionheart is just like D&D? Especially since we've gone out of our way to make it much less "Tolkien-esque" and much more gritty kinda funky Medieval times. I am very curious where this perception comes from and I welcome discussion on the topic. Let me know.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
BISWolf said:
How do you figure that Lionheart is just like D&D? Especially since we've gone out of our way to make it much less "Tolkien-esque" and much more gritty kinda funky Medieval times. I am very curious where this perception comes from and I welcome discussion on the topic. Let me know.

Well, here's the thing. You have Richard gathering up Holy relics, i.e. Judeo-Christian articfacts believed to have some link to the Divine. So, Richard makes a blood sacrifice on those relics, and BAM! Out pops intelligent, spell casting dragons and goblins. That's kind of like hiking a leg on a Tao alter and cyborg death squads popping out.

It seems to me if the event that focuses the game is essentially Judeo-Christian folklore, you should stick to that theme, and not traditional fantasy elements.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Marc Derell said:
hmmm even if there is much traditional fantasy inside lionheart, it still offers some unique key elements other games don't have. nevertheless I like your classical fantasy anyway (Dragons, elves, dwarves, .... ). Who the **** cares about it being too DnD-ish....DnD isn't your non-plus-ultra, not your one-and-only... and compared to other DnD-CRPGs LH differs in some ways as well.

Why don't you just wait for the game being publishe,d being played and the discuss wether it is too much fantasy or not. I will buy it, play it and hopefully enjoy it's unique story (and I'm looking for it's music, of course *g*)

Holy crap! You're right! Who wants to play something totally original, anyway? Let's just keep playing the same old setting, over and over again!

Vikjunk

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
Marc Derell said:
hmmm even if there is much traditional fantasy inside lionheart, it still offers some unique key elements other games don't have. nevertheless I like your classical fantasy anyway (Dragons, elves, dwarves, .... ). Who the **** cares about it being too DnD-ish....DnD isn't your non-plus-ultra, not your one-and-only... and compared to other DnD-CRPGs LH differs in some ways as well.

Why don't you just wait for the game being publishe,d being played and the discuss wether it is too much fantasy or not. I will buy it, play it and hopefully enjoy it's unique story (and I'm looking for it's music, of course *g*)

Holy crap! You're right! Who wants to play something totally original, anyway? Let's just keep playing the same old setting, over and over again!

Yeah really! Lets just play the same old mindless bullshit!!! :D

Anonymous

Hey saint, I didn't mean to play all the same thing all over and over again. What would you have expected to see there? It's not Sci-Fi, for sure.... Demons instead of Dragons? Isn't it similar anyway?
I don't get the sense. I like it's unique story (though mixed up with magic and dragons) .... and that's NOT what we've played before. (Though I don't call me a BIG gamer anyway ;) )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom