Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grimoire is 99 cents on GOG

Ladonna

Arcane
* 600 hours of play possible in a single game

How overhyped is this statement?

I'm currently playing through Legend of Grimrock 2, and it's the first dungeon crawler I ever played. This is the first time I'm actually excited to explore and discover what else is in the game. I haven't felt like that since I played my first Elder Scrolls game. I tried recommended games from the codex like fallout and PST but they are snoozefests compared to LoG2. Now I'm thinking I may have found my favorite type of RPG, and looking to play more dungeon crawlers after finishing LoG2, currently at around ~40%.

I was thinking of playing eye of the beholder next, but after reading the outrageous sales page of Grimoire, I'm wondering how much of it is true. Should I go for this over eye of the beholder?

Dungeon Master. The first really good LoG game released, and it is still great today. I am not sure which version you should play though, as I just stick to playing the Amiga original. Others might have a more updated version they might suggest.
thanks, why would you recommend dungeon master over eye of the beholder as a newbie dungeon crawler?

Not necessarily "over it" just as another great game in the same sub genre. Grimoire, Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc all belong to a different sub genre to Legend of Grimrock, which sits in the real time Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder sub genre.

Of course, as with any older game, make sure you get the manuals as the older games themselves don't usually cover what spells do (or even what the spell symbols mean for Dungeon Master), back stories, etc.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
What's well designed about Grimrock exactly?
I didn't write that review, just copied it from metacritic. Reviews on grimoire seem pretty split for some reason. Grimrock 2 is my first ever dungeon crawler and I'm loving it, this is the reason why I want to play more dungeon crawlers, if Grimrock isn't a good one, even better, so I have many good games to look forward to. I agree with your criticism, pixel hunting every fucking wall in the game is annoying, and character progression is a joke. But the exploration, combat, resource management, puzzles and mapping is what made me fall in love with the genre.

So as my second dungeon crawler, would you suggest my first original choice of eye of the beholder or grimoire, or something else?
If your only way of knowing anything is good is to check the consensus, you are not the target audience for the game. I would pay you a dollar to go away and never return. Even at a dollar, this game is still too good for somebody like you to play. A consensus that comes from a mass of semi-humans with an average IQ of 97 is guaranteed to be wrong on any subject.

Grimoire. Is. Not. Just. Another. Mass Market. Entertainment. It is not for you. I can tell just by your style and your choice of words that you have no business playing this game.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
because mere mention of Grimoire instils fear in the bones of SJWs and hipster cucks
In some places where I have worked in the past, merely walking in and sitting down has sent my co-workers trembling and nervously sweating for reasons difficult to quantify unless you accept that genetically damaged people know they are genetically damaged, to paraphrase Milton Friedman. They also instinctively know when you are not genetically damaged.

When people like me have been putting people like you on ice floes for a million years, you get nervous in their presence and feel scared. The raw genetic chadness makes their faces hurt at close quarters and they empty their bowels in fear.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
shit connoisseurs like this fag will never understand Grimoire or anything good

im starting to think it should be that way
In fact, a guy who wants to debate whether or not he should spend a dollar while he thinks out loud has no business playing Grimoire - or any of the other classic blobbers for that matter. He is unwashed and unclean.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm waiting for a little bit of a better deal before I buy.
I'm waiting for Cleve to pay me before I try it.
Weren't you the guy defending pedophilia at some point? Your money is no good, even if you had .99 cents to spend. Do not play Grimoire, you will soil it.
Naw I'm the guy you bet your Codex account against that the 2020 US presidential election result would be reversed and Trump restored to the presidency.

Why are you still here again?

terminator-arnold.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
I didn't even know it was on GOG, after all the rejections Cleve got. Reading through the reviews, it's funny that the scores are higher than that of Steam's, showing that GOG's community is the perfect audience for a game like Grimoire, and that the poles were idiots for rejecting it so many times.
image.png

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I didn't even know it was on GOG, after all the rejections Cleve got. Reading through the reviews, it's funny that the scores are higher than that of Steam's, showing that GOG's community is the perfect audience for a game like Grimoire, and that the poles were idiots for rejecting it so many times.
image.png
There will always be a couple of these jackasses. It's inevitable.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
why would you recommend dungeon master over eye of the beholder as a newbie dungeon crawler?

Dungeon Master doesn't require anywhere near as much grid dancing to stay alive and despite being old it has an easy to use interface. Though I would recommend LoL over either as baby's first blobber.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Dungeon Master. The first really good LoG game released, and it is still great today. I am not sure which version you should play though, as I just stick to playing the Amiga original. Others might have a more updated version they might suggest.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the DOS version. Also, the Amiga version isn't the original one; it was first released for the Atari ST.

Ladonna

Arcane
Dungeon Master doesn't require anywhere near as much grid dancing to stay alive and despite being old it has an easy to use interface. Though I would recommend LoL over either as baby's first blobber.

Yeah, good call. I forgot about Lands of Lore 1. Add that to the list.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Also, outdated. It's a review of version 1, the one on GOG is 3.0... so seeing how most people seem to like it now, the issues which made the game 'broken' are now fixed?
Almost all the bugs have been fixed. The Samhain Gorge thing is a feature, not a bug.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dungeon Master was the first real-time blobber released and still the best ever, although its sequel Chaos Strikes Back and the two Legend of Grimrock games are also great. It was developed for the Atari ST, though work on the definitive Amiga version began even before the Atari ST version was completed and released only a few months after. Aside from the incredible gameplay and technological advances, Dungeon Master also featured an innovative interface that would eventually be widely copied by CRPGs, even in other subgenres:

YYLI2T4.png
nnKgXKI.png

CS2YpJl.png
r0SBWJU.png

Dungeon Master can be played on PC today using the Return to Chaos clone, found in the link in my signature.

bat_boro

Arcane
image.png
Lol look at that homosexual snowflake running to his GOG safe space to whine about how his betters' presence on the internet makes xir feel uncomfortable

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmm, can actually anyone buy this on GOG via PayPal? I've tried it for about the 20th time now in a row, and it always fails to complete the transaction on the GOG side... brings me to a 404 page in the end...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom