Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Codex Year of the Donut
gamedev productivity tanked before the coof
They've been working on this since November 2019 and then covid wrecked things. From a game that was supposed to be out in three years to six or more.
It's a convenient excuse for gamedevs to use, but productivity was already dropping across the board in the videogame industry before the coof hit.

Larianshill

Arbiter
What an unexpected development. Maybe the publishers should stop trusting studios that never made a video game with big name AAA projects. It happened with Bloodlines 2, now here it is again.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I can't tell you how happy I am that the KOTOR remake got shelved. First Vampire: The Masquerade and now KOTOR. What is funny is that both KOTOR and Vampire had such awful demos that the people in charge canned them. This just goes to show that SJW's can't create, only destroy. The best part of all this will be Sam Maggs telling everyone on Twitter that this isn't her fault. Yes it is you stupid vapid cunt! You hated KOTOR and Star Wars just like Kathlyn Kennedy and wanted to destroy it. I can only imagine the shit you put in Maggs, like furry races considering you made Luke Skywalker into a fucking furry as Disney canon with Kathlyn Kennedy's blessing. You are quite possibly one of the most untalented writers in the industry. No wonder you are friends with Matthew Mercer. Not only are you an example of failing upwards Maggs but are also an example as to why women should never be allowed to write sci-fi and fantasy.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I can't tell you how happy I am that the KOTOR remake got shelved. First Vampire: The Masquerade and now KOTOR. What is funny is that both KOTOR and Vampire had such awful demos that the people in charged canned them. This just goes to show that SJW's can't create, only destroy. The best part of all this will be Sam Maggs telling everyone on Twitter that this isn't her fault. Yes it is you stupid vapid cunt! You hated KOTOR and Star Wars just like Kathlyn Kennedy and wanted to destroy it. I can only imagine the shit you put in Maggs, like furry races considering you made Luke Skywalker into a fucking furry as Disney canon with Kathlyn Kennedy's blessing. You are quite possibly one of the most untalented writers in the industry. No wonder you are friends with Matthew Mercer. Not only are you an example of failing upwards Maggs but are also an example as to why women should never be allowed to write sci-fi and fantasy.
As much as she is terrible I have a hard time imagining this getting shelved for the writing. Writing can be replaced comparatively easily, this has to be tech, design or possibly art issues. Maybe more likely the entire project is a mess.

Has bad writing ever prevented a project from releasing?

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I can't tell you how happy I am that the KOTOR remake got shelved. First Vampire: The Masquerade and now KOTOR. What is funny is that both KOTOR and Vampire had such awful demos that the people in charged canned them. This just goes to show that SJW's can't create, only destroy. The best part of all this will be Sam Maggs telling everyone on Twitter that this isn't her fault. Yes it is you stupid vapid cunt! You hated KOTOR and Star Wars just like Kathlyn Kennedy and wanted to destroy it. I can only imagine the shit you put in Maggs, like furry races considering you made Luke Skywalker into a fucking furry as Disney canon with Kathlyn Kennedy's blessing. You are quite possibly one of the most untalented writers in the industry. No wonder you are friends with Matthew Mercer. Not only are you an example of failing upwards Maggs but are also an example as to why women should never be allowed to write sci-fi and fantasy.
As much as she is terrible I have a hard time imagining this getting shelves for the writing. Writing can be replaced comparatively easily, this has to be tech, design or possibly art issues. Maybe more likely the entire project is a mess.
Agreed. From what I heard they wanted to revamp the gameplay and make it more "action ordinated". KOTOR is a RPG not a action adventure game. I am guessing the whole project is a mess, from the writing to the tech. I would love nothing more then to see how the demo was. Can only imagine that it is nothing but a massive embarrassment.

Sotomonte

Educated
As much as she is terrible I have a hard time imagining this getting shelves for the writing. Writing can be replaced comparatively easily, this has to be tech, design or possibly art issues. Maybe more likely the entire project is a mess.
Agreed. From what I heard they wanted to revamp the gameplay and make it more "action ordinated". KOTOR is a RPG not a action adventure game. I am guessing the whole project is a mess, from the writing to the tech. I would love nothing more then to see how the demo was. Can only imagine that it is nothing but a massive embarrassment.

I guess they wanted to make a game like Fallen Order...

A-Minish

Educated
Good fucking riddance. Or may be not, we might have missed some good memes with this turd. Something is telling me thay are dodging a bullet with this one for now.

Anyway they can defile all they want, we still have the original and they are easy to pirate. Still, im going to open a bottle laughing while thinking about the retards who defended this projects when I emitted doubts about the dev's rewritting effort.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You know what's alarming?

You know how the Mycenaeans knew how to build huge stone temples, but after the bronze age crisis came a civilizational decline, and their descendants made up stories of giants building the temples, because it was inconceivable for them that a man could've done it? It all started the same way.

This happened everywhere, whenever there was a decline. After the Roman Empire fell apart, people forgot how to build water wheels and would rediscover them almost a thousand years later.

The last couple of years has been the first time that I saw studios UNABLE to complete projects.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh god let it die, please.

Just like vampire Bloodlines, there may still be hope down the line. Great news.

Fargus

Arcane
Just another piece of shit "remake" from creatively bankrupt industry that can't offer anything new. I'd say that i'm glad it failed but i never really gave a shit about it, i just understood one simple thing: even if they somehow manage to finish it they will just fuck it up one way or another. But, oh well. As if mentally ill freakazoids and diversity hires can ever get the job done. Most of the time they can't even remaster the game properly lmao.

Meanwhile i'm just replaying Kotor 1. Last time i played it was 15 years ago or so. I can't say i was ever a big fan of Kotor 1, but it's a nice game and i like the setting. When im done i'll replay Kotor 2 as well.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just another piece of shit "remake" from creatively bankrupt industry that can't offer anything new. I'd say that i'm glad it failed but i never really gave a shit about it, i just understood one simple thing: even if they somehow manage to finish it they will just fuck it up one way or another. But, oh well. As if mentally ill freakazoids and diversity hires can ever get the job done. Most of the time they can't even remaster the game properly lmao.

Meanwhile i'm just replaying Kotor 1. Last time i played it was 15 years ago or so. I can't say i was ever a big fan of Kotor 1, but it's a nice game and i like the setting. When im done i'll replay Kotor 2 as well.

I just did the tour recently (though in reverse), having not played the games for about 10 years or so. It's fun, and a good way of enjoying an authentic Star-Warsey feeling again, after all that recent movie/tv fuckery.

AI texture-upscaling mods really work well for games of that vintage, it has to be said. (Very different from the dubious AI sprite-upscaling for Daggerfall.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
After kotor released, Bioware came to the conclusion that using round-based combat was a mistake https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...epublic-remake-from-aspyr.140056/post-7686647

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
After kotor released, Bioware came to the conclusion that using round-based combat was a mistake https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...epublic-remake-from-aspyr.140056/post-7686647

I think they were right in that it was a mistake to have round-based combat in 3rd person perspective, the expectations clash. They clashed for me at the time (when I first played KOTOR), although in my recent playthrough I was more reconciled to the round-based nature of the gameplay and it worked quite well (especially with the way the UI is set up).

Although I do think part of the reason is that the round is just too long at 6 seconds. One is figuratively drumming one's fingers on the desk, making a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper while waiting. Why not have something like 2 or 3 seconds? Surely that would retain the round-based gameplay element but give more of a fast-paced action feeling? Be more of a hybrid?

Also, while there was a visible, minipulable action queue (you could queue up actions, but also cancel queued actions), I think they could have developed that a bit more (for example, be able to swap out an action in the middle of the queue, shuffle the queue, etc.).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Glassdoor reviews from this year:

Pros
Great team that really cares about the projects they are working on
Cons
It's a growing company, that is still working out how to best manage it's growth

Pros
Good benefits Friendly People Opportunity for growth
Cons
The company is in a growth phase so things are being worked out

Pros
- Bonuses are relatively good - Fun projects - Remote work is available - Employees tend to stay long term, 7 years on average!
Cons
- We're growing like crazy and some of upper management are overworked. More delegation is needed

Seems the common theme is that they grew too fast and couldn't manage it.

Although I do think part of the reason is that the round is just too long at 6 seconds. One is figuratively drumming one's fingers on the desk, making a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper while waiting. Why not have something like 2 or 3 seconds? Surely that would retain the round-based gameplay element but give more of a fast-paced action feeling? Be more of a hybrid?
? KOTOR rounds are 3 seconds, not 6 like in the IE games and NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom