Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxygen Not Included - space colony sim from Klei

Hellraiser

Arcane
Radiation and nuclear tech is finally getting added in the DLC test branch, with a first batch of the new stuff in today's testing branch patch. No obviously visible way to turn rads into electricity so far (maybe decay gives off heat or something), probably we'll get something in a later test patch before the next main branch DLC update in 3 weeks. On the other hand seems you can give your dupes the chernobyl experience anyway with what they implemented so far, since decontamination showers are a thing as is rad sickness or as are lead suits.

They expect it will take 2 main branch updates (~6 weeks) before everything from it is added, revised and functional.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-so/453222-r1464/

Features

• New radiation system
    • Radiation overlay
    • Mineable uranium element
    • New radiation sources including Cosmic radiation, radioactive Wheezeworts, and radioactive Shinebugs
    • Atomic Research Points added to tech tree
  • Buildings for producing and harnessing radioactive particles
    • Centrifuge building refines uranium
    • Research Reactor building produces radiation
    • Particle Generator and Particle Redirector harness radiation to produce high-energy Particles
    • Atomic Collider research station turns high-energy Particles into tech
  • Dupe vulnerability and protection
    • Fallout germ poses ongoing hazard
    • Lead Suits and Checkpoints provide shielding from radiation
    • Decontamination Shower cleanses Dupes and their cargo
    • Radiation Sickness can afflict exposed Duplicants
    • Basic Rad Pill to deal with absorbed radiation
  • And including
    • Radiation Sensor for automation
Improvements

• Resin Rooster art completed
  • Tweaked bubble animation on Small Oxidizer Tank
  • Art polish on the Basic Nosecone
  • Hooked up new backwall artwork for Moo Moonlet biome. Only present in new saves
  • Swapping out many placeholder strings, editing existing strings
Fixes

• Landers can now only be placed in appropriate locations (on the surface) and only on worlds they're being deployed on
  • Got rid of the launching fx that was showing up in the under-construction Sugar Engine
  • Improved robustness of some guaranteed worldgen rules to address a number of worldgen failures
  • Fixed crashes when deconstructing a door while a Duplicant is passing through
  • Fixed another worldgen failure case

EDIT:

Apparently one use for High Energy Particles is to kill creatures with it, although unlike dupes they need a few shots/doses of HEP, where as dupes get KO'd with one. At least until the Saturn Critter Trap plant becomes obtainable in the game, this might be a decent RAD alternative to drowning contraptions for automated meat production.

Cosmic and other radiation is turning colonies into vomit factories with rad sickness, as shielding seems to be way too weak at the moment.

There's also a "ORIGINAL" text in plant names now, which might be related to this art asset people dug up in the game files, if the speculation about plant mutations is correct.

d7fqokP.png

In the meantime I am screwing around with the latest main branch release and the automated rocket unloading with rocket ports sucks. Rockets unload only after landing and the rocket ports are set to "input" mode automatically after unloading, only way to continue or restart unloading is to fly and land again. This wouldn't be much of a problem if not for the fact it is possible to pump out stuff from inside crew modules now, as it makes it quite annoying to pump out stuff after landing, such as pisswater or if one builds a pump/pipe after landing. Also one could make prefab houses out of rockets if they fixed it, landing a rocket and deconstructing the engines etc. replacing them with cargo tanks to allow full gas/liquid exchange with the outside.

Also they made the rockets too slow. My large petroleum rocket can fly 12 hexes total and takes roughly 4 cycles to reach the target, 8 cycles for a two way trip (ignoring surface time, which is the whole reason why you fly rockets). While not as horrible as flying 30 cycles to a destination in the base game, it is still downtime with not much happening. Considering how long surface operations can take on the destination (with dupes building infrastructure meant to exploit local volcanoes/geysers), I think they could cut the travel time by half and still have it fairly challenging from a supply perspective, since not all destinations provide a way to obtain oxygen or food (magma planetoid being the most extreme example) and you need to bring supplies with you.

Lastly seems they further cut down the size of the other planetoids to fill in more small ones on the starmap. I could swear the forest planetoid was twice as wide, same goes to the warp planetoid.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane

The volgus has been in the data files for at least 3 years apparently, it only got mentioned in the test patch thread (I guess that's where you saw the image) because someone else mistook another user saying "rats" in place of "damn" or "crap" thinking it meant we now get space rats as a critter. Above pic was posted 2 years ago at least. Anyway no signs of it getting added to the game in the DLC so far.

OTOH the test patch enabled Beetafineries (and Beetas I guess) and brought back space research (now apparently it needs an orbital building inside a rocket and plastic). It also broke HEP redirectors.

Also I was wrong and the research reactor added in the test branch can indeed be used for electricity, as it is the "old" nuclear reactor found via debug weeks ago. Also it blows up majestically if you don't shut it down after gas pressure exceeds 20 kg/tile, which is easy to achieve since it takes in water and outputs a ton of hot steam/water without any output port.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Hi space friends!

Temperatures are rising, baby Hatches are frolicking, and the musky smell of blossoming Dusk Caps is alight in the air… Either it's springtime, or the testing of Plant Mutations has begun!

Plant Mutations are a brand new feature that integrates radiation with farming gameplay. There are now several strains of mutant seed that crop plants can drop when grown in radiation. Once analyzed at the new Botanical Analyzer, plants grown from these seeds will offer new trade-offs or efficiencies for your farms. Please let us know what you think and if you discover any issues as the system is still pretty rough and has plenty of room to grow!

There's a notable change to the conduction model of the Research Reactor resulting from a bug fix, so keep an eye out for updated tuning. There's also updated Rocket Port artwork, more worldgen tweaks (though nothing that should require a restart), as well as new and updated Codex entries.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I bought this game and played with it a bit ages ago, and it occurs to me that I should probably give it a proper play before it develops too much feature bloat.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I bought this game and played with it a bit ages ago, and it occurs to me that I should probably give it a proper play before it develops too much feature bloat.

At this point I am not sure if feature bloat is really a threat. The base game has placeholder combat which they never bothered to implement (and with no mentions of that being planned), and simplistic rocketry that the DLC is currently trying to fix. Also considering Radium was in the game files for a billion years it is quite clear that they tried to get radiation into the base game but they were too short on resources to deliver it before release. Then there is also the "flammable" property which has been in for ages as a sign of yet another not really implemented feature. So the picture I get is that we will be lucky if the game is feature complete given what was cut so far.

There's also not much they can add on, at least from a simulation perspective, before the performance croaks. I'm disappointed we didn't get deeper radiation simulation in the DLC. I really hoped we would get alpha, beta and gamma radiation and not just one type, possibly also stuff decaying to other elements/isotopes, but considering how it runs currently I can see why neither was implemented.

If tormenting your lemmings is supposed to be the goal then why would you want to "fill their needs"?

Why does hell need toilets for the tortured souls anyway?
I assume it follows along with Average Manatee 's question about why you would "Fill their needs", which is that they probably frame it as shit-torture or something. Or it could just be that they didn't even want to go to that quarter-assed amount of effort and just have regular needs despite the reskin.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey friends,

We have some big news…

…we’ve decided to release ongoing updates instead of a DLC2!

Ever since the Spaced Out! DLC launched in December, we’ve been exploring ideas for the next chapter of Oxygen Not Included. Those conversations started out as discussions about DLC2, but as we kept digging, we realized that a distant DLC2 release just wasn’t the right fit for our long-term goals.

We want ONI to feel like a true universe: infinite and ever-expanding!

And most importantly, accessible to our whole community.

While a second DLC would certainly expand the game, it’d limit our design choices. We’d have to decide which features base game players would have access to—and which ones they’d be left out of.

The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixes and balance changes that are viable for everyone across all versions of the game. That sounds about as appealing as an all-mushbar buffet.

We want you all along for the ride! So we’re shifting our focus to building out a lot of the same content and systems you’d expect from a DLC, and releasing them regularly as free game updates that work for both base game and Spaced Out!

No colony left behind.

What’s next?
We’re working on a roadmap to let you know what to expect as we explore this exciting new chapter of ONI—we’ll post that here as soon as it’s ready.

Summary
We’re expanding the ONI universe through ongoing updates rather than a DLC2! These free, regularly scheduled updates will be designed for both the base game and the Spaced Out! DLC. Roadmap coming soon.

Our heartfelt thanks, as ever, to this incredible community! We’re overjoyed to be able to share our little corner of the cosmos with you

Hellraiser

Arcane
Spaced Out sold too poorly? I just don't see how this is wise from a business point of view, just means they'll stop developing it earlier. Doubt their chinese overlords are going to just have the develop more content in hope the base game sells more.

Perkel

Arcane
got hooked up on it. 30hours already. I tried early version and it was mostly shit but this time after all new sshit and changes it is actually great to play and actually hard survival sim. It really punishes you for going wide. With about 5 people it already seems to be complex but with 8 shit just go down in flames out of nowhere. Algae run out, pressure makes everyone stressed, pollution and so on.

With 3 people you have time to react as everything happens slowly but with more people shit gets real fast and you need proper tech set up first before you expand.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Good thing in this game is you have so many ways to survive and progress, all depending on your environment.

Perkel

Arcane
50 hours in and i just discovered you can use different materials to make stuff...

:prosper:

Perkel

Arcane
finally managed to reach some equilibrium for the first time. Every time i usually failed at some things. By far Algae is the most sneaky resource. I thought water was but once you set up proper chain with sanitation very little of it gets wasted. Energy is also pretty great resource that really needs to be managed to get out of it most effectiveness with a lot of automation for switching off everything when not used. Without those energy is always in need.

Good luck, that's the point where I tend to stop having fun with these survival games (where you can consistently survive forever and now just are doing things for the sake of progression).

Harder biomes don't even give you Algae so it's a real race to dig and explore to get a consistent water source from which you can electrolyze air (and racing to them means dealing with some other kind of issues like temperature or air circulation). In the end, dupe working time is the most valuable and expensive resource.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Good luck, that's the point where I tend to stop having fun with these survival games (where you can consistently survive forever and now just are doing things for the sake of progression).

Harder biomes don't even give you Algae so it's a real race to dig and explore to get a consistent water source from which you can electrolyze air (and racing to them means dealing with some other kind of issues like temperature or air circulation). In the end, dupe working time is the most valuable and expensive resource.
Agreed, it stopped being fun for me when I had to go to other planetoids/asteroids/whatever.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Early versions when it was ballanced for survival and it wasn't guaranteed, even with doing crazy stuff, it was nice. Asteroids with slimelung were about keeping slimelung out, and having enough medical beds. Of course materials for making protection suits were located behind slimelung biomes. So no protection, run in, run out. Then spend several hours in medical care. That was pretty hardcore, and very interesting.

Perkel

Arcane
50 hours in and i just discovered you can use different materials to make stuff...
Have you tried to use steel water pumps? They are bit better than copper.

No, I also didn't notice difference between materials other than some temp and decor. Still i am yet to make steel. I found only iron.
I also found out that starting rock is easy mode... and i played in classik mode which means there was a lot of space to build without caring about temperature.

Looking at those new planets with dlc version you don't get that much space to build.

Really like idea of creatures taming and getting new variations etc.

I really like whole gasses/liquids etc system in this game. Hydrogen is lighter than oxygen so it goes above it while carbon dioxide is heavy so it goes below it. Same with liquids etc.

image.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Agreed, it stopped being fun for me when I had to go to other planetoids/asteroids/whatever.

Same. Though in my case I never even shot my first rocket because fuelling up the fucking steam engine was just way too much of a hassle than I could bother with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom