Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was The Wall temp-banned?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So much for "no-ban policy"...
yet another DU lie...
The Codex has been giving people time outs for being obnoxious since its inception.

Sjukob

Arcane
The Codex has been giving people time outs for being obnoxious since its inception.
f3cacd07a91013034d1aa5f915420993.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, that's true. I'm mainly here for information about games, and I've got a few good indirect tips even from individuals whose views I find very questionable, so I prefer not to ignore anybody.

I get the free speech angle in the sense to be able to freely criticise games, etc. There are for example some semi-professional forums that I frequent that are basically heavily vendor-sponsored, which means any criticism against their products is usually silenced. Which is... unfortunate, but then it's the owner's decision, and they must represent the interests of their sponsors, otherwise they'd be losing money. Once you accept that, they're still quite good forums.

I agree it's good to have a forum where you can say anything you want about any game without getting banned or whatever, in a *civil* manner. I'm all for that. Notice that *civil manner* part? I don't know where you get the idea from, that you can behave any way you want under the "protection" of free speech, that's insane...
Why are you such a fag though?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yeah, that's true. I'm mainly here for information about games, and I've got a few good indirect tips even from individuals whose views I find very questionable, so I prefer not to ignore anybody.

I get the free speech angle in the sense to be able to freely criticise games, etc. There are for example some semi-professional forums that I frequent that are basically heavily vendor-sponsored, which means any criticism against their products is usually silenced. Which is... unfortunate, but then it's the owner's decision, and they must represent the interests of their sponsors, otherwise they'd be losing money. Once you accept that, they're still quite good forums.

I agree it's good to have a forum where you can say anything you want about any game without getting banned or whatever, in a *civil* manner. I'm all for that. Notice that *civil manner* part? I don't know where you get the idea from, that you can behave any way you want under the "protection" of free speech, that's insane...
Why are you such a fag though?
This is the same guy who put a bunch of people on ignore for giving him cuck ratings when he was being a cuck then realized he was being a faggot and cleared his ignore list. Maybe he'll realize he's being a faggot again

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wonder how many people in this thread are only pretending not to understand how utterly deranged The Wall's behavior is in order to defend their maximalist free speech position, vs how many genuinely don't see it?
Not many, just look at the ratings. But look at the bright side; these reactions are a good method for populating your blacklist.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I wonder how many people in this thread are only pretending not to understand how utterly deranged The Wall's behavior is in order to defend their maximalist free speech position, vs how many genuinely don't see it?
Not many, just look at the ratings. But look at the bright side; these reactions are a good method for populating your blacklist.
I've given The Wall shit for his chain posting multiple times but I still don't think he should have been banned for it. Maybe for a day at most. It's annoying but it's not that big of a deal.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've given The Wall shit for his chain posting multiple times but I still don't think he should have been banned for it. Maybe for a day at most. It's annoying but it's not that big of a deal.
Chainposting was not the real issue here and the reason why he got banned...

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Chainposting was not the real issue here and the reason why he got banned...
I know that, but what you are suggesting is actually much worse and I was trying to be diplomatic. Rusty already nailed it. This is the Codex. The Wall's posts were par for the course. Nothing out of the ordinary or egregious happening there at all. The entire reason I donate to this site is so I have a place to call people niggers and faggots.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'm just here to eat popcorn.

If people want my opinion though, point me to a page(s) and I'll skim it to see how I feel.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The entire reason I donate to this site is so I have a place to call people niggers and faggots.
Good for you if that makes you feel better. I honestly don't see the appeal, and never have, not even in first grade.

I come here for information about RPGs, that's it, and consider the kindergarden-grade tantrums and insults a nuissance. Just like the CRPGAddict said before he got fed up with the bullshit.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If some idiot hits you up on the street and starts blabbering about the end of the world and conspiracy theories and shit, how long until you tell him to fuck off? Even worse, he starts calling you names when you just politely disagree with him. Why should that crap be even tolerated?

The difference is that you can actually ignore people here using standard forum functions. You virtually erase their presence from your sight. You don't have to or need to tolerate anyone here, simply place them on your ignore list and that's it. Easy, simple, powerful solution.

If I'm getting really annoyed with someone, I ignore them.

Then I'll occasionally empty my ignore list.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If I'm getting really annoyed with someone, I ignore them.

Then I'll occasionally empty my ignore list.
Yeah that's what I did first, but it was annoying because it was hard to follow some threads with some messages not showing.
Plus I got some interesting (indirect) game recommendations even from people who frequently show up in people's ignore lists, such as fantadomat.

Ultimately, who cares if some shitposter gets *temporarily* banned, big deal.

Not quite sure where the all the new shitposters are coming from and how old they are, but in the 90s on IRC you got banned from channels in an instant if you just looked at the channel admin the wrong way. So you could either behave, or fuck off and create your own channels. Same with message boards, BBSs, etc. People learn things quickly that way.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The entire reason I donate to this site is so I have a place to call people niggers and faggots.
Good for you if that makes you feel better. I honestly don't see the appeal, and never have, not even in first grade.

I come here for information about RPGs, that's it, and consider the kindergarden-grade tantrums and insults a nuissance. Just like the CRPGAddict said before he got fed up with the bullshit.
You realize there are dozens of sites out there that have information about RPGs, but not the Codex's culture, right? I don't understand why you would want to be here if you don't like the culture when you can get all the same info on gamefaqs or reddit.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You realize there are dozens of sites out there that have information about RPGs, but not the Codex's culture, right? I don't understand why you would want to be here if you don't like the culture when you can get all the same info on gamefaqs or reddit.
Fair point, it's just that Google searches on some classic RPGs always brought up the Codex when I started getting into gaming again about 12-15 years ago. So I've been checking it in read-only mode for a long time. There's loads of good information here about old games from people who were kids in the 80s like myself, information that I have not found on other sites. Plus I enjoy some trolling when it's not pushed to max idiocy levels, e.g. the writings of Vault Dweller were always amusing, but that was intelligent trolling, not full retardation using a very limited vocabulary.

But maybe you're right, perhaps it's for the best if I'll restrict myself to the old game related subforums and that's it. Not interested about SJW hysteria and not that much interest in newer games either, really, barring a few exceptions.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
The appeal of the codex is that it still has the pre-2010 internet aesthetic and culture.

The internet was much more of a "wild west" back then (and yes, even more so pre-2000, I was around then too).

There aren't many websites where long form discussion is still a thing, and even fewer where it's ok to take off the kiddie gloves and call someone a faggot.

Whether that adds value to your discussion or not is debatable, but the rarity of the format seems like its worth preserving.

There seems to be a lot of "free speech" social media apps popping up these days, but they are all formatted like twitter where people are suppose to discuss complex topics in short sentences.

Protip: It doesn't really work well.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The appeal of the codex is that it still has the pre-2010 internet aesthetic and culture.

The internet was much more of a "wild west" back then (and yes, even more so pre-2000, I was around then too).

There aren't many websites where long form discussion is still a thing, and even fewer where it's ok to take off the kiddie gloves and call someone a faggot.

Whether that adds value to your discussion or not is debatable, but the rarity of the format seems like its worth preserving.

There seems to be a lot of "free speech" social media apps popping up these days, but they are all formatted like twitter where people are suppose to discuss complex topics in short sentences.

Oh yeah, I get that; I'm just saying that claiming that every kind of behaviour was tolerated pre-2010 or pre-2000 is a bit of a stretch. I like the fact that the Codex is not *overly* moderated, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. E.g. in a bar, people having a spirited discussion for 5-10 minutes are okay, but if they keep yelling at patrons non-stop, sooner or later they'll get thrown out (from most bars) — it's common sense, really.

I like the forum format too, it's not possible to have in-depth discussions about relatively complex topics in any other format, I think. So that's why I'm happy to see high-noise-ratio shitposters get a slap on the wrist at least from time to time *because* I'd like to have this place where one can discuss, you know, games, not political bullshit I have no care about.

Like I said, in the IRC days if you started blabbering about politics or throwing personal insults at each other in a topical channel (typically gaming or hobby-computing related), you got banned very very quickly. I think the Reddit-level banning is also idiotic, but you gotta keep things a bit in check, otherwise chaos will ensue. That's all.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

Oh yeah, I get that; I'm just saying that claiming that every kind of behaviour was tolerated pre-2010 or pre-2000 is a bit of a stretch. I like the fact that the Codex is not *overly* moderated, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. E.g. in a bar, people having a spirited discussion for 5-10 minutes are okay, but if they keep yelling at patrons non-stop, sooner or later they'll get thrown out (from most bars) — it's common sense, really.

I like the forum format too, it's not possible to have in-depth discussions about relatively complex topics in any other format, I think. So that's why I'm happy to see high-noise-ratio shitposters get a slap on the wrist at least from time to time *because* I'd like to have this place where one can discuss, you know, games, not political bullshit I have no care about.

Like I said, in the IRC days if you started blabbering about politics or throwing personal insults at each other in a topical channel (typically gaming or hobby-computing related), you got banned very very quickly. I think the Reddit-level banning is also idiotic, but you gotta keep things a bit in check, otherwise chaos will ensue. That's all.

I agree with you that the codex isn't overly moderated, although every type of discussion has its appropriate place.

The problem is optics.

"Boomers" have this problem with proclaiming "things aren't as bad as they appear to be!!!" after a lengthy discussion of all the relevant facts.

Then, the media talking points are reduced to 15-second video clips where "people are over reacting and there is nothing to worry about"

This in turn evolves into the slippery slope of banning dissent after a while because of "fake news" or whatever the modern labels and terminology becomes.

Personally, I'd rather just let people bitch and moan about nonsense and ignore them on my end than have some over-moderated discussion designed to fortify and enhance the "quality" of discussion.

That's a lot of words to say that a few "slaps on the wrist" are fine and ok because it helps new posters adjust to the "culture" of the codex if they are for some reason outside the already broad boundaries of our discussion norms.

These types of actions shouldn't become too common place though, unless they warrant it.

God forbids the codex ever becomes a super popular site with a million plus users. There wouldn't be enough crispy's or infinitron's to prevent the eternal september.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom