Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For grognards, when was the point of no turning back for DnD?

When was the point of no turning back for grognards?

• After AD&D and Gygax being thrown out

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • 4th was the final point

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • I had hope until 5th

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • When the 3rd and 3.x came out

Votes: 15 20.0%

• Total voters

S.torch

Arbiter
When was the point that grognards said there was no salvation from that point in regards to each edition of Dungeon and Dragons and why?

I don't think this question has been made here before. You people have any stories to share about how the old players felt with every edition?

S.torch

Arbiter
You're missing my option.

When DANDINO 3.x came out as AD&D 2E is perfect.

Oh, I considered to clarify that the first option referred to the time the 3th edition came more or less. Since the time where AD&D 1st and 2nd existed was very close to one another and maybe it was a bit redundant to divide them. That's why it says "after AD&D". But I will put that for you.

Out of curiosity, where did you get that DANDINO thing? xD It's a bit funny.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You're missing my option.

When DANDINO 3.x came out as AD&D 2E is perfect.

Oh, I considered to clarify that the first option referred to the time the 3th edition came more or less. Since the time where AD&D 1st and 2nd existed was very close to one another and maybe it was a bit redundant to divide them. That's why it says "after AD&D". But I will put that for you.

Out of curiosity, where did you get that DANDINO thing? xD It's a bit funny.

There was a decade of space between AD&D 1E and AD&D 2E. AD&D 1E was released in 77-79 while 2E was released in 1989.

I created DANDINO. It stands for D&D In Name Only. Monte Crook ejected almost all elements of Gary's and Dave's original rules to make his own. Thus, the only thing tying OD&D and AD&D to D&D 3.x was the name.

S.torch

Arbiter
I have the feel that Dandino thing is going to be contagious if you keep using it.

Butchered the poll by the way, but I guess at least now it has more options.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The poll options are kind of shit. I don't pay attention to D&D much post 3.5, other than to have a good laugh.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
gygax got thrown out before 2E not 'after AD&D'. as such the correct answer is after 1E (as a yoot I had a 1E PHB and a 2E DMG and frankly the drop in quality and evocativeness was palpable so this is not a retroactive opinion. my retroactive opinion is that the 2E DMG is the worst D&D book ever released. Oriental Adventures and Unearthed Arcana were shit as well fyi so I don't just blame Zeb Cook et al for this)

add an option for 'the release of supplement 1' as well for hyper contrarians (actually a very defensible position)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
When was the point that grognards said there was no salvation from that point in regards to each edition of Dungeon and Dragons and why?

I don't think this question has been made here before. You people have any stories to share about how the old players felt with every edition?

Missing the "Everything is fine" option

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"After AD&D and Gygax being thrown out"

The core rulebooks for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons first edition were published in 1977-1979 (Monster Manual, Players Handbook, and Dungeon Masters Guide in consecutive years), Gary Gygax was ousted from TSR in October 1985, and AD&D 2nd edition (which wasn't so different from AD&D 1st edition, except for experience points) was published in 1989. Not at all clear what this means given the chronology. :M

Dragonlance. The game was turned into storygaming.
In that case, it would make Grognards storybros. Because at this point Dragonlance is veeeeery old, and there were like 9 modules of Dragonlance or more. :M
The original Dragonlance adventure module series had 12 entries, published from 1984-1986, plus one module in the series was just background (DL5 Dragons of Mystery; more about the novels than anything else), and one module was an optional wargame (DL11 Dragons of Glory). People blaming the "Hickman Revolution" for destroying D&D think that things went awry in the mid-80s.

Vatnik Wumao

Missing the "Everything is fine" option
And the Kingcomrade edition option.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'm not really a grognard as 3e is my favorite edition, but I chose 5e. 4e was actually worse yet there was a chance that D&D could become good again after it flopped. But there is no chance of it being good again after 5e because that brought in a huge audience of soy creatures who watch Stranger Things and Critical Role, and from now on the number one priority will be keeping them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Classic 1st and 2nd edition D&D is great and has all my favorite settings (Planescape, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim).

3rd edition is fun too, it's the one I played first and the one my pen and paper groups use the most.

But with 4th they tried to turn combat into some WoW-inspired thing, and 5th edition is just watered down 3rd with added "diversity".

Stuff like GURPS and simulationist systems are better anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom