Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TSR's Star Frontiers New Genesis

halfchad

Literate
I just saw this news and didn't see a thread on it so lets discuss.

https://gizmodo.com/dnd-wizards-of-the-coast-lawsuit-tsr-space-frontiers-1849532281

Wotc is suing TSR for being too based. What are your thoughts on the new (old) system? Have you played it before? I look forward to playing it if its as politically incorrect as Wotc makes it sound.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I never tried Star Frontiers. I gave up on all D&D stuff when 4E became a thing and only played D&D up to 3.5E. Wizards of the Coast are one of the most obnoxious and foul publishers out there.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I never played Star Frontiers due to being in love with FASA Star Trek and running that instead.

Wizards of the Woke are a bunch of retards that have never thought of anything original. They can all die in a fire for all I care.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I seriously doubt the reboot features black characters getting lesser IQ, as they claim. And I'm pretty sure the "explicit exclusion" of trannies in reality just means that trannies aren't mentioned in the text. The horror.

But whatever, none of this really means all that much to me. Never played the original game, probably never will.

Mortmal

Arcane
I seriously doubt the reboot features black characters getting lesser IQ, as they claim. And I'm pretty sure the "explicit exclusion" of trannies in reality just means that trannies aren't mentioned in the text. The horror.

But whatever, none of this really means all that much to me. Never played the original game, probably never will.
I think so too, it doesnt take much to trigger that very special community anyway, have a look at dnd reddit, i can only describe them as sub human filth.

Codex Year of the Donut
last I checked it wasn't actually released but was announced a while ago so I wrote it off
Star Frontiers was fantastic so I was interested when I heard about it.

fun fact: if you try to buy star frontiers on drivethru RPG, wotc greets you with a content warning saying it contains offensive material. Who the fuck gave them the right to put warnings on material made by other people? Fucking faggots.

[edit]
btw, if you're looking for a site that isn't pozzed to discuss tabletop RPGs, I recommend https://www.therpgsite.com/

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Wizards of the Coast are one of the most obnoxious and foul publishers out there.
Let me tell you about Pathfinder...

For all the negatives of Wizards, at least SJWism and dumbing down has to be injected here and there. Pathfinder has it baked into the setting and people like Amber Scott just make it worse.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I first heard about Star Frontiers from reading d20 Future. Man, WotC owns a ton of intellectual properties from old TSR that they’re not using. These span the gamut of genres: space opera, space western, cyberpunk, post-apocalypse, alternate history, techno thriller, urban fantasy, etc. There’s Star Frontiers, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, Gamma World, Metamorphosis Alpha, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Once and Future King, For Faerie, Queen & Country, MagiTech, GeneTech, Urban Arcana… any of these settings could support a crpg in its own right and with the right writer it could become a classic like Planescape: Torment.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Okay, I just saw the actual contents of the lawsuit and... oh my god, NuTSR has entered RaHoWa territory. Jfc, Gygax must be rolling in his grave.

I never played Star Frontiers due to being in love with FASA Star Trek and running that instead.

Wizards of the Woke are a bunch of retards that have never thought of anything original. They can all die in a fire for all I care.
FASA ST Lore > TNG Retcons

On my day off I run a FASA lore version of TNG using Traveller rules for some of the young lads working for me. I've actually ended up causing some spin off groups because the demand to play was really high and others wanted to use what I wrote. I'm happy to share my homebrew rules and lore if people are interested.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

FASA ST Lore > TNG Retcons

On my day off I run a FASA lore version of TNG using Traveller rules for some of the young lads working for me. I've actually ended up causing some spin off groups because the demand to play was really high and others wanted to use what I wrote. I'm happy to share my homebrew rules and lore if people are interested.

That's awesome dude. I used a lot of what John Ford wrote from his Star Trek novels. Invariably, the Federation and Klingons go to war in my games.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I wish there was some kind of scifi equivalent to D&D that had a multitude of campaign settings exploring different takes on the scifi genre. WotC certainly has a ton of original scifi IPs they could mine for that kind of game. Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc… the sort of game that could support, right out of the box, concepts as outlandish as “cyborg jedi catgirls piloting giant robots that travel across time, space, and alternate universes to fight the Cthulhu mythos” just by combining rules from different settings. I’m sick and tired of the umpteenth generic “Middle Earth with furries and Starbucks baristas” that dominates the markets now.

I wish there was some kind of scifi equivalent to D&D that had a multitude of campaign settings exploring different takes on the scifi genre. WotC certainly has a ton of original scifi IPs they could mine for that kind of game. Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc… the sort of game that could support, right out of the box, concepts as outlandish as “cyborg jedi catgirls piloting giant robots that travel across time, space, and alternate universes to fight the Cthulhu mythos” just by combining rules from different settings. I’m sick and tired of the umpteenth generic “Middle Earth with furries and Starbucks baristas” that dominates the markets now.
Stars Without Number has rules to create your own universe with whatever you want in it. Give that a look.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc…
Bug Hunters, Kromosome, and Galactos Barrier were all part of TSR's ill-fated Amazing Engine line that had been intended to compete with GURPS. This line also included Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega, a new version of Metamorphosis Alpha, the first science-fiction RPG, published by TSR in 1976.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Stars Without Number has rules to create your own universe with whatever you want in it. Give that a look.
Is it a toolkit game or is it married to a specific setting whose limitations you have to dance around or buy another book to replace with a different setting?

Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc…
Bug Hunters, Kromosome, and Galactos Barrier were all part of TSR's ill-fated Amazing Engine line that had been intended to compete with GURPS. This line also included Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega, a new version of Metamorphosis Alpha, the first science-fiction RPG, published by TSR in 1976.
Yup. WotC owns these IPs and hasn't done anything with them other than post scanned copies onto DriveThruRPG. Which is something... except the Alternity line isn't preserved anymore since WotC took it down after their 2008 hissy fit over piracy and still haven't replaced it. They didn't even put up Star Frontiers PDFs until there was a licensing dispute. Fucking WotC.

Fuck WotC! Fuck all the corpos. They don't give a fuck about their old IPs. If you have the opportunity, patronize one of the retroclones or make your own thing instead.

Fun factoid: I suspect the artificers and shapers in Bug Hunters were inspired by the mechanists and shapers from the Schismatrix novel, and furthermore were a key inspiration for the stoneburners and glassmakers from the later Star*Drive.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I prefer the sheer fucking convenience of DriveThruRPG. WotC can either preserve their games there, or they can fuck off and die in a fire like they never existed.

I prefer not to give Wizards of the Woke a single fucking dime. They can die in fire without my cash.
Great. Then we agree. I'll just make a retroclone that, unlike the worthless shitbags at WotC, I actually care about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom