Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most useless cRPG companions.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
By the end of the game, she can cast level 5 spells. I'm not going to argue that she's better than Jaheira or Branwen, but she does bring something unique to the table.
A subpar summon monster 2 and a heal spell ? Meh.
wtf.png

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
quick google search into min int for lvl9 spells revealed that beamdog fixed it, requiring for both memorizing and casting

Sarathiour

Cipher
Neither of those exist in OG BG1
???

What do you mean? Do you not consider Tales of the Sword Coast an integral part of the game? Who plays BG1 without it?
Well I did, but that's beside the point. I just checked the manual for TotSC, the new cleric spell are Champion's Might and indeed Chaotic Command. No sign or mention of insect plague, I could check on the game itself later on if you're really sure.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Neither of those exist in OG BG1
???

What do you mean? Do you not consider Tales of the Sword Coast an integral part of the game? Who plays BG1 without it?
Well I did, but that's beside the point. I just checked the manual for TotSC, the new cleric spell are Champion's Might and indeed Chaotic Command. No sign or mention of insect plague, I could check on the game itself later on if you're really sure.
Well, I was... :despair:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Must be said that Stratagems not only made Fire Shield stop Insect Plague, but also Stoneskins, more or less killin the spell.
[mo**ers]
so you have to answer with revisions if it even works and summon op shamble mounds or add icewind dale spells in but then it breaks balance in another way.
as if majority of "amazing tactical" players carry around faldorns and cernds or play druids at all :roll:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Is TotSC the one with Durlag’s Tower? I distinctly remember a sinking feeling in my stomach playing that since it busted my budget for the month (having previously lost my corporate job from too many nights playing EotB II and Wiz7). Follies of youth.

Trying to figure those two out without the internet was a full-time job in itself.

Sarathiour

Cipher
TotSC add durlag's tower and Ulgoth's beard as location, and change quite a few spells and combat mechanic, notably the whole sarevok fight.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I've ran out of nostalgia steam years ago but recently replayed BG1 and, when walking towards entrance of Durlag Tower still felt strange unease.

It's an eerily designed place.

Daidre

Arcane
TotSC content is both peak BG and peak IE
Durlag's Tower is a wonderful dungeon but Shandalar's Quest and Werewolf Island had surprised me with their sheer shoddiness even when I've played them for the first time. I've always thought that Bioware run out of resources while making the tower for ToSC and shoved everything else on the bunch of interns with shit ands sticks and old assets - difference to median BG quality is that grating.

There are some interesting fights in them too, of course.

purupuru

Learned
I like Garrick, beat the game with him. He is a bard, acts like a bard and without being overly obnoxious like Haer'Dalis or Grobnar.
Xoti in Deadfire is probably the crpg companion I hate the most, horrible writing, weak class weak stats, really only good for her unique item.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Shandalar's Quest and Werewolf Island had surprised me with their sheer shoddiness even when I've played them for the first time.
It had one of those yuge labyrinthine locations with super narrow corridors that made the pathfinding utterly shit the bed even on 5m distances, didn't it? Peak BG/IE indeed. In before it was a 4D chess move to make people think that the forest RTS maps were great and it worked perfectly.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey you take that back, I loved the forest maps!
It's a strange expansion. Durlag's Tower is probably the best CRPG dungeon of all time, and yet it also had the island of copypasta and the ice dungeon of broken pathfinding.

Codex Year of the Donut
people who dislike either of those are SHIT

you wouldn't know quality if it smacked you in the face with a 13 inch dong

Shadenuat

Arcane
Part with romance however has the only real quest C&C in all baldurs actually, with mini reputation deciding end of wolf quest.

Must be said that Stratagems not only made Fire Shield stop Insect Plague, but also Stoneskins, more or less killin the spell.
[mo**ers]
so you have to answer with revisions if it even works and summon op shamble mounds or add icewind dale spells in but then it breaks balance in another way.
as if majority of "amazing tactical" players carry around faldorns and cernds or play druids at all :roll:

Rebalance Insect Plague spells (and the like)

In the unmodified game, Insect Plague and Creeping Doom (and, to a lesser extent, Summon Insects) are very hard indeed for a spellcaster to deal with or defend against. This component (which was partly inspired by Demivrgvs's Spell Revisions) grants a per-round saving throw against the spell-failure effects of the insects. It also handles the insects more systematically as summoned creatures: they cannot harm or affect creatures immune to nonmagical weapons; they are unaffected by antimagic or by Dispel Magic; they will not attack undead creatures, and cannot penetrate the extreme heat or cold of a Fire Shield.

It doesn't say that stoneskins grant immunity against it, it should eat through a stoneskin every time it hits. It's the immunity to nonmagical weapons that makes it useless against a large number of tough enemies.

RE: druid balance, spamming summoning spells worked since you summoned like 4-6 things each time.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
I'm not entirely sure how exaclty stoneskin work against insect plague, because if the plague eat a layer per second, it should delete it pretty quick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom