Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
In 2D realm, I love the look of Fallout and Fallout 2, as well as Jagged Alliance 2.

In 3D realm, I am partial to Archolos

1467450_2022080611013z6cyu.png

1467450_2022081515253n8im2.png

1467450_20220807134359uim9.png

And Kingdom Come

379430_20190823015643q8j7d.png

379430_20190824005613rsj47.png

379430_2019082409084436kr4.png

379430_2019083123434793kht.png

And Cyberpunk 2077

1091500_2022090501224a6iyh.png

1091500_2022082900435j6cyg.png

1091500_2022082900462evdq0.png
I decided to brofist you anyway, but you walked the line with that "Cyberpunk is an RPG".

Personally, I enjoyed Underrail - old timey, but decidedly not in any lazy kind of way.
ss_0f3f978e29c1270db2a6bd0babbfd7f5d91039e6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_56f68d9a5885e19689fdc6d5cf812719ed745692.1920x1080.jpg

ss_1b7ef46a9148d7c4903c43e5ba5340eef747c557.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is CRPG a specific genre again instead of computer rpgs? I can't keep up with this site
I've always understood "CRPG" to refer to RPGs with an interface that's reminiscent of a desktop computer's OS environment.
cRPG means "computer role-playing game". Nothing more, nothing less.

If it runs on a computer, and it's an RPG, then it's a cRPG.

What it "literally means" and what specific nuance of meaning it started to get over the years are two different thing. As it's often the case with language evolving and changing over the years.
But this was already addressed in the past pages.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What it "literally means" and what specific nuance of meaning it started to get over the years are two different thing. As it's often the case with language evolving and changing over the years.
But this was already addressed in the past pages.
You mean the part where some confused people shared their opinions?

If it runs on a computer, it's a cRPG, period.
If you're talking about the original tabletop game, then you talking about RPGs.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
People take the "compute" part of "computer" for granted but it's called a computer in the first place because its purpose was to automate the tables and dice rolls ad infinitum, and not just or even primarily for gaming obv.

If you're not the one tossing the dice and adding up the results, it's a CRPG.

Desiderius

Patron
If you're talking about the original tabletop game, then you talking about RPGs.
Basically every JRPG can be played on a computer.
The Witcher 3 is an action RPG that can be played on computers.

Neither of them are "CRPGs".
Your theories of language have eaten your brain.

From a previous reply:

While it seems like a lost semantic battle at this point, with a lot of people just giving up on the nuance, I'm with Butter about the fact that no matter how the term originated, you can't extend the "CRPG" definition to anything that is "roleplay but as a videogame", otherwise you are going to dilute the term to the point of losing all meaning.
Over the years, the term "CRPG" went to assume a very specific acceptation to indicate a specific type of RPG s. Namely these COMPUTER-centric games usually focused around replicating tabletop mechanics and managing an extended party rather than a single character.
The only reason the term is still used even when limiting the discussion to videogames is precisely to differentiate it from console RPGs/JRPGs/action RPGs and so on.

I won't waste anymore time arguing about a fucking 20 years old topic.
And I won't accept the idiotic idea that "anything running on a computer is CRPG" either, so spare your breath.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They're all cRPGs.
JRPGs belong to one subgenre of cRPGs, while action-RPGs (ARPGs) belong to another.

The problem with hijacking the term "cRPG" for some other purpose is that then we're left with no other clear term for "computer role-playing games" to differentiate them from tabletop. Therefore, it's best to leave it just alone. It's a category with a very clear meaning; it's really hard to misunderstand it, so why mess with it?

You can then use the term "oldschool cRPGs" or something for what you're currently referring to as "cRPGs".

They're all cRPGs.
JRPGs belong to one subgenre of cRPGs, while action-RPGs (ARPGs) belong to another.

The problem with hijacking the term "cRPG" for some other purpose is that then we're left with no other clear term for "computer role-playing games" to differentiate them from tabletop. Therefore, it's best to leave it just alone. It's a category with a very clear meaning; it's really hard to misunderstand it, so why mess with it?

You can then use the term "oldschool cRPGs" or something for what you're currently referring to as "cRPGs".
Well, I don't agree with a single sentence you said, so there's that.
And I mean literally. I can break down your entire post in short prepositions and disagree with every single one of them:
that JRPGs and CRPGs overlap or one is the subgenre of the other, that we would be left "without a clear term to indicate computer games" (that's what the generic "RPG" is for these days; if anything are the tabletop/pen&paper ones to need the clarification), that "oldschool CPRGs" is ANY better as a specification of a subgroup, etc.

It's not even a matter of winning some ideological arm wrestling about each of our personal preferences, it's about accepting how these terms are *already* broadly used currently, especially outside of the Codex bubble.

But it's clear at this point that there's no use in keeping arguing about it, since these are all decades-old arguments and clearly no one is going to change their mind on the spot.

This, incidentally, reminds me the OTHER dumb recurring debate about how "only games from Japan should be called JRPGs", ignoring how over almost 40 years that type of game codified itself in a series of characteristics that have been parroted even by a lot of productions coming from other countries.

I struggle with 3D engine games, I just don't like how they look.
A game ought to have that abstraction, and feel like you are playing a game.
Most of the pre 2000 3D games did a good job of capturing a vibe.
But after that, with some exceptions almost all 3D games have lazy/whacky aesthetics lacking appealing vibe.
They may look "good" technically but TBH I find them a bit of an eyesore. Once the technical wow factor has won off 3D gets quite tiresome.

540609734.jpg

vs

horizon-zero-dawn-field-of-view

Desiderius

Patron
The corruption of the C in CRPG away from the importance of automated computing is how we get PnPers crying and getting cRPGs nerfed because they don’t exactly duplicate the splatbooks and TB Luddites trying to kill RTwP.

You’ll miss the computer when its gone.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
I struggle with 3D engine games, I just don't like how they look.
A game ought to have that abstraction, and feel like you are playing a game.
Most of the pre 2000 3D games did a good job of capturing a vibe.
But after that, with some exceptions almost all 3D games have lazy/whacky aesthetics lacking appealing vibe.
They may look "good" technically but TBH I find them a bit of an eyesore. Once the technical wow factor has won off 3D gets quite tiresome.

540609734.jpg

vs

horizon-zero-dawn-field-of-view
I hate new generation graphics with their extremely vivid colors and billion of effects. It's like a candy store attracts kids.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am now passively agressively lawn moning mobs in Sacred 1 of all things, thankfully Elf has speed buff so I don't have to use cheatengine or something to actually play this game.

And I think germans are quite good at nailing all these villages and castles with peasants. There's a lot of grey and brown but it's *artistic* brown.

If only game didn't kinda suck in other places that makes me want just stay in these castles and dread another corridor or plateau with mobs.

ropetight

Savant
people who insist on using "crpg" must have gotten lost on their way to crpgcodex.net
cRPG got momentum lately analogous to adding new letters to alphabet people acronym.
In this case tabletop fanatics forced people using that term by repeating "RPG gaming on computer is so inferior to pen&paper" every time a game that is a RPG and is played on the computer is mentioned.

gaussgunner

Arcane

They're all cRPGs.

You guys sound like shitlibs trying to redefine "a well-regulated militia" :lol:

They're all historical abbreviations for words that meant something different at the time.
1. RPG meant D&D: dice, characters, stats, role playing (making up stories), and usually no tactics.
2. Early computer and console variants copied the mechanics but left out the "role playing".
3. Later computer (PC) variants added grid-based tactical combat.
4. Rogue and roguelikes pared down to a single main character and randomized everything.
5. Diablo and first-person 3D computer/console games added realtime combat.
6. A bunch of fucking spergs hashed and rehashed these dumb genre labels and eventually settled on TTRPG for #1, CRPG for #3, JRPG for #2 because console also starts with C but Japanese console games kept the genre going long after PCs progressed to #3, Roguelike for #4, ARPG for #5, and more (but no one cares).

Only the first has actual role-playing but they're all called RPGs. The rest are all played on computers and/or consoles but that doesn't make them all CRPGs, it makes them.... Video Games.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Only the first has actual role-playing but they're all called RPGs. The rest are all played on computers and/or consoles but that doesn't make them all CRPGs, it makes them.... Video Games.
Yeah, ultimately I don't care what we call them. RPG vs cRPG seems a useful distinction to me, but that's about it.
Otherwise, I tend to spell out what I mean (e.g. classic grid-based dungeon crawler with RT combat, or DM-like, instead of the-word-that-should-not-exist...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom