Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Keep in mind that I'm playing on Proton on Linux but

* The interface is awkward and responds randomly
* Saving warns you that it will restart you at the beginning of the room/sequence because "it's too complex"
* The game drops you right (without splash screens, it's a bit shocking) into the main menu. The main menu features a "Settings" button which doesn't work (clicking on it doesn't do anything)
* They seem to have not thought about a lot of interactions and sometimes if it doesn't work, the character refuses to say anything.

I'm like five minutes in.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
The game starts by a sliding crate puzzle. 90% of the time, the game will ignore your command and won't tell you why, except it's not the solution thought out by the developers.

Oh no.

I really want to like this game. I really want to.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Immediately after the first sliding block puzzle, there is another one. You have to shuffle objects in a drawer until you find another object under one that you just moved.
Why couldn't you just look below the stuff in the drawer, or even pick it up ?

I don't know.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
My god, a third one. With a puking sound each time you get it wrong..

It's sliding puzzles all the way down.

Last edited:

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
A lot of non-voiced/buggy lines. Also had a hell of a time finangling with the camera at the junkyard. Just decided to quit after I was stuck with an item on my screen whenever I entered a certain room and couldn't complete the puzzle there.

There's a game in here that might be okay if not for the technical difficulties.

I don't think I've encountered any more sliding puzzles after the start.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey everyone! Sorry for so many emails. In all the madness of releasing the game yesterday, we forgot tell everyone something very important. The game is built to run on 1920×1080 resolution. You can go to a 16:9 resolutions below that if you want, but it's very important not to go above that resolution as some of the artwork mechanics may caused bugs. When you first run SpaceVenture you will be asked what resolution you want to play in. Select 1920x1080 in order to play the game the way it is meant to be played. Sorry for not telling you all this sooner!
honkhonk.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Btw, found at least one instance with a showstopping bug on Proton. In the restroom, it is impossible to pick up Rooster's head when you need to.
Copied the game directory to a flash drive, moved it to another Windows computer and it worked.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JFC this is bad. It looks crap, the animations, the characters, the backgrounds, and the worse is how they compose together. The voiceovers are more annoying than funny. The puzzles suck. The interface is an atrocity on any gaming sensibilities. The whole thing looks like it was made by a lone schoolkid during his summer vacation. Unfortunately, it tooks supposedly veteran developers ~10 years and ~500k USD to this. And super funny thing - there's no installer, the official download is a zip (not too bad, but looks unprofessional). What's even more funny is that you HAVE to playe it in 1920x1080 or some puzzles won't work properly, the devs sent an email about it even! Why they couldn't disable Unity resolution selection is beyond me.

1663440655998.png

EDIT:
The comments and replies to the latest update on kickstarter are Star Citizen level of cult sycophancy. Everyone who thinks the game is less than perfect and Two Guys are less than geniuses is heckled and dismissed.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Good to hear that all those years of beta testing, bug hunting and bug fixing are paying off. Just imagine what it'd be like if they didn't do that!

:lol:

Why do I get the feeling the game was done many many years ago, maybe was composed of 6 months of actual consistent work before Scott had his life problems, then Pope finished it up and they spent like five to six years on non core content issues like the save system

I feel like this game was mostly a Chris Pope game. Scott and Mark proved separately they were able to put out good games with quality control, even when Sierra was forcing buggy games out the door to meet quarterly deadlines. I don’t blame the Two Guys for this.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
So this came out, huh? Yeah, pretty obvious that it'd be shovelware. Haven't people had enough of these nostalgiabait Kickstarters by now? "We made a Wal-Mart store brand version of a good game from 40 years ago!!"

Ryzer

Arcane
It's Underworld Ascendant release all other again.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The comments and replies to the latest update on kickstarter are Star Citizen level of cult sycophancy. Everyone who thinks the game is less than perfect and Two Guys are less than geniuses is heckled and dismissed.
Half a million dollars and years of waiting amounts to some cope man. Who knew you could fuck up an adventure game this bad. The big question is how this compares to Space Quest 6: Roger Wilco in the Frontier of Suck. One of the Andromedafags was enough to give us Space Quest V, which was the best entry in the series hands down, so does having both of these old farts on the team produce a better or worse game than the one neither had a hand in?

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
How original, another drama release. Do not worry bros, tomorrow is the Masterpiece day. We'll drown our sorrow there.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So this came out, huh? Yeah, pretty obvious that it'd be shovelware. Haven't people had enough of these nostalgiabait Kickstarters by now? "We made a Wal-Mart store brand version of a good game from 40 years ago!!"
This nostialgi-bait kickstarter was launched ~10 years ago, people weren't as weary of them then as now.

El Presidente

Arcane
Saw a video. This looks totally unsalvageable and there's no excuse other than utter incompetence - that or they weren't even trying in the first place. In this indie age where sometimes a single man with an idea does miracles all by himself, there really is no excuse for a kickstarter project with 540k USD in its pockets to bring forth this mess after TEN years.

This is a scam and it is worse than Underworld Ascendant at that.

Derringer

Prophet
Publishers are tard wranglers for idea guys early access scammers but too much money along with retards in management are involved for it to really help anymore.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
The game is 10 years late. To remember they chose to let the game out so close to new Monkey Island when no one would even notice if they had released 5 to 6 months later is _astonishing_

Half a million dollars and years of waiting amounts to some cope man. Who knew you could fuck up an adventure game this bad. The big question is how this compares to Space Quest 6: Roger Wilco in the Frontier of Suck. One of the Andromedafags was enough to give us Space Quest V, which was the best entry in the series hands down, so does having both of these old farts on the team produce a better or worse game than the one neither had a hand in?

Well, the Two Guys together did 1-4. Josh Mandel did like 50-60% of SQ6 (which imo was a good game). I do agree 5 was the best, but the writing of that game was done by a man named David Selle; Mark Crowe did the design, story and artwork. Not the actual writing.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
There's a scene in the game where you meet the Two Guys, just chilling on beach long chairs.
They say they are supposed to be working on a game, but they're already late, and it might be the end of their careers. They're aware of bugs, but they'd rather just chill on the beach rather than fixing them.

I am not making this up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom