Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incision - grimy and surreal Quake-inspired boomer shooter

toughasnails

This just came out in EA, people's impressions are p good so far. Thematically it seems to go for the grimy surreal horror of the OG Quake but then pushes it some more which is what first attracted me. Supposedly very tough too, no savescumming nor checkpoints where you can infinitely respawn, instead you are have a limited number of lives as in old action games and platformers (I get the impression that Contra might have been another one of game's inspirations, including the environments and enemy designs).

WALKING ARSENAL​

Eight weapons of mass-slaughter, all including powerful alternative firing modes. Fire a volley of bouncing incendiary bombs out of your shotgun. Lob grenades from your heavy machine gun to turn your foes into red mist. Do tricks with your trusty revolver to maximize its damage output. Spray a volley of four incendiary rockets and watch even the strongest foe crumble into ashes before you. Go berserk with a saw-spear that works as a long-range slashing weapon or as a close-range buzzsaw.

PULSATING NIGHTMARESCAPE​

The world of INCISION has been transformed into a living nightmare where a ever-consuming, ever-growing mass of flesh and machine live in unholy symbiosis. All we hold familiar and comfortable has been turned into a network of hellish, rusty, pulsating labyrinthian series of factories that serve as the nerves and organs for some greater being that only seeks to merge, unite and grow.

HELL PATROL​

The Growth has merged and united all life on the planet, turning its people into machine-freaks, all of them designed to turn anyone who opposes their regime inside-out. Augmented soldiers with burst-firing energy rifles, mad sycophants with ricocheting sawblades, machine spider-priests aka. "Spiderpopes" with homing missiles. INCISION's roster of monsters will keep you on your toes til the bloody end.

HEAD-BANGING & SKULL-RATTLING​

INCISION includes a soundtrack by JM and Frédérick Chicoine "iNi"; An entire album's worth of atmospheric horror ambience and mayhem-inducing metal that will burst your veins with adrenaline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

Arcane
No mention of or attention given to platforming and level design in their summary or trailers is concerning. Looks decent otherwise.

Fargus

Arcane
Looks fun. I'm losing the count for all the retro fps games i'm might play in near future and that's a good thing.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
How the fuck is this crap "quake inspired"?:retarded:
Low-res textures on simple 3D models? Color palette focused on one color? Vaguely Lovecraftian? Taking advantage of 3D to produce very vertical spaces? It might look like shit, but someone clearly looked at Quake for inspiration. It looks like someone taking all the aspects of how Quake is supposed to look and appeal but it was done by someone who didn't quite understand how those things worked with the people who enjoyed it then and today. If I were feeling like one of the Codex's more paranoid members, I'd say this was made by someone trying to cash in on a fad, but this is probably some guy who doesn't quite understand what he's doing.

toughasnails

I now regret not trying the demo since it looks like it isn't available anymore. I did watch a video of the first map and it seems p fine, some verticality and fairly well hidden secrets. It looks like something that, if it was a recent Quake map by an established mapper, it would have been very well received. So this definitely isn't made by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
Also I haven't seen any hitscan enemies, their attacks appear to be either melee or projectile based. That's definitely a plus.

toughasnails

He's quite impressed by the game.
Although, the way lives are implemented is a bit concerning. Extra lives you find in each maps don't carry across maps, you start each one with zero extra ones. Apparently you don't get any extra ones for boss fights and you can get p much instakilled which both the reviewer above and some people on steam forums complained about.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Screenshot from 2022-09-19 20-35-13.png

:hmmm:

Star Citizen

Learned
It's great! From what I've played so far the atmosphere and the environments are fucking spot on. Level design is top notch with large sprawling, interconnected layouts. OST and sound design is fucking brilliant. Movement takes some time to click in, wasn't a fan of the jumping at first coming directly from Quake but got into that groove. Encounter designs are actually well designed for once and are genuinely fun af and tense. Overall I'd say it sort of plays like a weird combo of Doom, Quake 1 & 2 and I'm very happy with it. Hope it stays this way.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
How the fuck is this crap "quake inspired"?:retarded:
Low-res textures on simple 3D models? Color palette focused on one color? Vaguely Lovecraftian? Taking advantage of 3D to produce very vertical spaces? It might look like shit, but someone clearly looked at Quake for inspiration. It looks like someone taking all the aspects of how Quake is supposed to look and appeal but it was done by someone who didn't quite understand how those things worked with the people who enjoyed it then and today. If I were feeling like one of the Codex's more paranoid members, I'd say this was made by someone trying to cash in on a fad, but this is probably some guy who doesn't quite understand what he's doing.
Ah, so it's cause it's 3D, gotcha. For a moment I was afraid you're gonna say it's because of the vaguely lovecraftaian exploding barrels.

Curratum

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“From six months to a year.”

See you in 2025, then!

Star Citizen

Learned
This shit is just brilliant, man. It's incomprehensibly so far removed from the rest of the 'boomer shooters' I've played. I know and understand the discontent behind the 'throwback' fad all too well but these peep/s legit did a fucking stellar job and this is well worth trying out if you're a fan of old-school FPS games, period.

Curratum

God fucking damn it, smugly pirated to see what the fuss is about and waltz back in here to tell you how it's not as good as you make it out to be, but now I'm buying. It comes bundled with Dusk so it's down to 10 eur.

Glad that we can actually have something this good in AD 2022, in this shitty, oversaturated and diluted "boomer shooter" market. Also nice to see someone make music so good, it makes Andrew Hulshult look like a kid with a midi keyboard.

Perhaps there is hope after all...

Lzlagqz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Star Citizen

Learned
God fucking damn it, smugly pirated to see what the fuss is about and waltz back in here to tell you how it's not as good as you make it out to be, but now I'm buying. It comes bundled with Dusk so it's down to 10 eur.

Glad that we can actually have something this good in AD 2022, in this shitty, oversaturated and diluted "boomer shooter" market. Also nice to see someone make music so good, it makes Andrew Hulshult look like a kid with a midi keyboard.

Lzlagqz.jpg
See? I'm not fuckin around here lol. My eyes roll to the back of my head as soon as I read the words 'old-school fps' and even did with this a lil until I skeptically tried it based off a recommendation from a trusted source. I can tell you peeps are very much the same which is why I felt the need to follow up on my other posts. This shit is legit.

Yeah dude, the OST is fucking banger!

Curratum

I fucking hate NewBlood and 3DR's endless early access cycle of shit and all those other "solo dev boomer shooter" pricks for heaping up so much shit, you instinctively recoil and stay away from those games now. :argh:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It looks like Zoomer shit trying to impersonate classic FPS games. The pixel art is atrocious and fails against what was done with the original shooters.

Zoomers need to stop stealing and making worse versions of what was already done.

Star Citizen

Learned
You peeps have no idea how fucking wrong you are about this one. Try it for fuck sake. I wouldn't even compare it directly to any single 90's FPS, it mixes and matches various influences brilliantly but all comes together with its own execution n twisted flavours. The visuals suit this shit so well too despite maybe looking like *one of those again* in stills. It's atmospheric af exploring the levels, which are at least on par with/exceeds the best Quake community maps I've played in terms of well thought out layouts and gameplay, which I say with mad respect too but that's not what this shit is about either, this is its own trip. Honestly this early access release is some of the most fun I've had in as long as I can remember with FPS. Fuckin try it.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Lzlagqz.jpg
Just don't crack any jokes about the release date where the devs might read it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom