Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/return-to-monkey-island-review

Return To Monkey Island review: a perfect new entry into a beloved old series​

Sometimes you can go back

To plant my piratey flag up front, I am an extremely huge fan of the Monkey Island series, and am therefore almost exactly who Return To Monkey Island is aimed at. After several adventures with other devs, sometime-mighty pirate Guybrush Threepwood (a name that invites as many tedious jokes as Benedict Cumberbatch, which is a trap I won't be falling into) is back with his some of his original progenitors Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman - Gilbert being the director for the first two Islands Monkey.

I was expecting Return To Monkey Island to be a delightful croquembouche of point and click puzzles artfully piled up with puns and meta jokes, all slathered in the sticky, sugary caramel of nostalgia. And it is that. But I wasn't expecting it to contain a gentle rumination on getting old and figuring out what things are really worth caring about.

Guybrush's latest story of lovely piratical nonsense sees him going on a quest to actually find the secret of Monkey Island, given that he got diverted in the first game. He's once again racing the zombie pirate captain Le Chuck, as well as the new, more modern Pirate Lords who care more about profit margins and raids than the romance or cool story potential of piracy. This is not a metaphor for anything. You visit a couple of classic locations from the earlier games, as well as some brand new ones like the ice triangle of Brrr-Muda, and run into a lot of new and fan favourite characters - including my beloved Murray the demonic skull.

These people and locations all look fantastic in the new art style, which is vibrant and lovely, capturing the spirit of the earlier games but in a storybook style that is extremely fitting for this new adventure. It's hard to believe that this wasn't always how Monkey Island looked, to be honest, and there are great extra animations in the fore- and background that brings everything alive.

Guybrush stands in the townhall in Brrr-Muda in Return To Monkey Island, looking at the varied contents of his inventory

But since this is a point and click puzzle adventure, you can't just sightsee all day. The game is progressed by you solving a series of puzzles that form a long daisy-chain into the one thing you actually need. You need a disguise to get onto a ship, so you need an eyepatch, so you need a key, so you need the serial number on the lock; you also need a mop, so you need a special tree, so you need a map, so you need a sample of wood from that same tree you haven't found yet. We're well beyond the years of the nine verb menu, so Guybrush has a drag-and-drop inventory, and when you mouse over an object you can left lick to look at it and get a comment from Guybrush, or right click to perform a suggested action. This might be picking the thing up, but it changes with context. If you're already holding a mop, for example, the prompt on a blob of chicken grease will be to mop it up.

A page from Guybrush's scrapbook in Return To Monkey Island

It's a streamlined, modern system that makes a famously opaque genre much easier for first-timers to enjoy, augmented by a hint book dolling out gradual tips if you get stuck. Return To Monkey Island also has a casual mode that simplifies some of the puzzles, removing a step or two for players who haven't gotten used to the kind of logic that dictates setting a foodstuff on fire is, in a sense, equivalent to putting very hot pepper on it. I'd recommend the harder mode if you're a hardcore adventure puzzler, but the easier mode doesn't actually detract from the spirit of the game. I judge it to be very well done.

Despite these efforts to welcome newcomers though, you should be under no illusion that the primary audience for Return To Monkey Island is people who, like me, get a little swoop in their tummy when the theme music plays and the title card comes up. I'm not kidding about the nostalgia caramel. There are points where you come across something and the only thing Guybrush can do with it is remember the past. To the dev's credit, it's not mandatory to indulge in all the nostalgia, but it's kind of hard to have a conversation with most of the supporting cast without it cropping up, because Guybrush already knows Wally and the Voodoo Lady and Stan the used ship salesman. Even Cobb the Ask Me About LOOM guy is still here, and he has a whole bit about how he's really tired of people asking him about Loom.

The entirely new bits are good on their own merit, though. Brrr-Muda is a small frozen tundra with a hard-labour ice prison and a very unusual system of government. Elaine, an impressive self-rescuer who is just generally more competent than her loveable floppy-haired pirate husband, has started an anti-scurvy charity and turned an island into a monoculture lime grove. This is part of the turn for the unexpected, because she has to leave it when she realises that Guybrush's quest to get the actual Secret Of Monkey Island is ruining a lot of people's lives.

Elaine and Guybrush stand by a giant monkey head and reminisce in Return To Monkey Island

One of the extended puzzles is that LeChuck's crew of ghosts, zombies, skeletons and demons do a sort of soft mutiny because they don't actually want to go to Monkey Island. The Secret, they think, is kind of an unhealthy obsession with him, driven in part by his equally unhealthy obsession with Guybrush himself. Some of the crew have forgotten what they found inspiring about LeChuck in the first place. Elaine supports Guybrush on his quest, but tries to temper his expectations and get him to examine what he's been doing this whole time.

It's not that Return To Monkey Island gets too serious, as much as it is gently self-aware in ways that it wasn't before. It's clear from the start that the ending, which I won't spoil, is going to be a bit metatextual in a way that tiny babies will get cross about - but I thought it was perfect. It's about growing and changing, and what the important bits of the stories we love actually are. I do think it's one of the best point and click games to give someone in the year of 2022 to prove that point and click games are good. But I'm also self-aware enough myself to know I wouldn't have loved Return To Monkey Island quite as much if I didn't have a history with the series. But I do. So I did. Yo ho ho, and a bottle of fun.

El Presidente

Arcane
You know, I don't doubt there's a good adventure beneath that shitty art style, I really don't. Maybe the game is full of good jokes, great new insult duels, a decent enough story, nice puzzles... I'd give it the benefit of the doubt in all these departments, no problem. What I really dislike is the attitude, the spit on the fans' faces, the "retro fascists" shit, the drama THEY decided to fuel to "further proof how gamers are oh so tOxIc, look, the journos and the trannies were right all along, I'm being harassed, HELP!!!" . He could've taken it as a man and said "well, I'm sorry you guys didn't like the style, we liked and went for it, I hope you can still enjoy the game nonetheless" but no, they had to act like the insufferable woke faggots they truly are, and that's what ultimately discourages me completely from giving these retards even one cent.

El Presidente

Arcane
Take Wind Waker for example, back when it was announced I thought it was the most retarded thing Nintendo has ever done, especially after the Zelda technical demo they showed not long before it for the Gamecube. I really hated that style, but when I got my hands on the game I enjoyed it very much, they made me eat my words and appreciate their work, even the art style sorta grew on me after a while. And I remember very well the backlash for that game's art style was immensely bigger than Monkey Island's, which is a niche game after all. I don't remember Nintendo putting "ermagawd gaymers are sooooo toxic and they're harassing us!" in the magazines and websites of those days. Fuck Dave Gilbert (edit: names are teh hard), fuck Guybrush's voice actor and whoever else was part of this shitshow.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Frankly, I loved Return to Monkey Island, which took about seven hours for me to finish. The game is just filled with joy. Because it was easier to play than older adventure games, I could focus on having fun talking to the characters and exploring the world without worrying about getting stuck on an obtuse puzzle."

Guybrush has a scrapbook. This game's version of a refresher is presented like a girl's scrapbook featuring his quest to become a pirate.

Pozzed beyond belief.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Brilliant map design.

Such a dark forest, it must be from the DC universe.
Df.jpg

FB Farming simulator 2022
FS.jpg

Artsy Fartsy shit
Artsy.jpg

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only played a bit over an hour, but it's definitely written in the 'modern' CMI onward voice/tone rather than the MI1-2 style.. if that wasn't already obvious. I tried playing without the voices on, but it doesn't make a difference. They also couldn't get the thickness of the text borders right. The floating text is atrocious.

I'm a big fan of the ending on MI2, and think this is probably a worse way of 'fixing' it than CMI. Don't get why they bothered at all so far.

Cunt Dickula!?

Wow imagine being Ron Gibert for a second.
Imagine everything you achieved in your life was when you where a 20-something dude.
Imagine repeatedly doing new stuff which nobody cares about and everyone reminding you that you peaked 30 fucking years ago.
Lol. Sounds depressing as fuck. :lol:

Anyway i don't care. Let dead franchises stay dead please.

Red Hexapus

Learned
It seems the game acknowledges the non-Gilbert games, albeit in a weird way. There is a Trivia Book in the game and you collect trivia cards to answer the questions about the games (yes, it sounds ridiculous and it is). I've seen a question regarding Morgan LeFlay and which game she first appeared in (it was Tales...)

Divinity: Original Sin
It seems the game acknowledges the non-Gilbert games, albeit in a weird way. There is a Trivia Book in the game and you collect trivia cards to answer the questions about the games (yes, it sounds ridiculous and it is). I've seen a question regarding Morgan LeFlay and which game she first appeared in (it was Tales...)

There's a Scrapbook option the the main menu which acknowledges and make a retrospect of all games prior to RTMI.

Haven't gone through much of the game, but Guybrush is already married from the start.

It's not something to be surprised, since Ron Gilbert had input in the production of tales.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
"Frankly, I loved Return to Monkey Island, which took about seven hours for me to finish. The game is just filled with joy. Because it was easier to play than older adventure games, I could focus on having fun talking to the characters and exploring the world without worrying about getting stuck on an obtuse puzzle."
So, it's a 2d walking simulator then?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I didn't even realize this was supposed to be out today. Weren't they delaying it because of some reason or another? Guess that shows how much I've been paying attention.
Judging by the positive reviews, everyone is more or less just hopped up on nostalgia. I can understand that reasoning, but it seems like Gilbert's attempts at expanding into a new audience aren't doing much yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom