Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Keshik

Arcane
Well, the attempts at humour in the prologue sucked - the adults blah blah'ing was out of Family Guy, heh. The way they handled MI2's ending could have been worse as well I suppose

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished it, took around 8-10 hours. Puzzles chapter 1-3 and 5 were very easy but in chapter 4 some puzzles took some time since you had a large area to explore. I smirked couple of times but writing / puzzles were nothing special. 6/10

Regarding ending:

kgjYW4I.png

Monkey Island 2 ending is canon and it was exactly the same ending in this game. So yeah open ended ending and you still dont know what the secret of monkey island was unless it was this fucking t-shirt / theme park :lol:

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played one hour. It's... alright, I guess. A bit boring, but I plan to keep playing. And no, the game is ugly, but still not as ugly as Special Editions. Not that it's a greater accomplishment, of course.

El Presidente

Arcane
I thought this was interesting:

Melee Island is run down and just going to shit.

The governor is now black. The pirate council is now made up of one Haitian, one psycho dyke and one Karen. Most of the inhabitants you run into are now black.

Ron doesn't seem to realize what he subconsciously recreated. :lol:

Last edited:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
What's going on there on Scurvy Island, are those supposed to be wind turbines or trees?

And wow, Morgan Le Flay, a character I assume was specifically designed to annoy people and yet I had already forgotten about her. The tell tale games weren't offensively bad in my opinion but they were extremely forgettable.

Just about the only positive things I have to say about this game are that it runs well with no loadtimes and seems stable, and the music system is dynamic and is clearly inspired by iMUSE.

It's not aggressively bad, just aggressively average. The dialogue is really bland, puzzles are weak and the art is terrible.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So aside from the shitty artstyle that has been subject to nerdrage for a full year now, how is the game? is it fun? writing? puzzles?

I'm considering getting this.. but eh. I dunno. I do love Monkey Island and much of my childhood was spent playing this franchise.
I am setting myself up to be disappointed, so the bar is already pretty low going in.

Sheer masochistic curisority brought me to the point of trying to download this piece of crap from one of the usual harbours but damn it, I can't find a download where I'm not bombarded by virus messages from my fucking virus scanner. Now, reasonably judged: this shitty excuse for a game sure isn't worth going through any trouble whatsoever so I just leave it out and forget about it. It would probably have assraped my fondest memories anyway. It was a bad idea from the beginning to try to get this atrocity on my hd so fuck it.

I have played for almost two hours and decided that I am going to refund this trash.

The atrocious art style is making my eyes bleed and the gameplay is pretty meh. The dialogue and puzzles are severely lacking the charm and wittiness of earlier installments, and otherwise all I have really been doing during my playtime is revisiting locales and talking to characters that we already know. From what I have seen, RTMI is more of a reimagining of Monkey Island, than a new game.

Further, why start on Melee Island? Is Ron that creatively bankrupt? This is what the developers did in Escape to Monkey Island and that probably wasn't a good idea either.

All said, I don't really feel like playing anymore, so I doubt that I will pirate it either. I have better things to do and actually entertaining games to play. Just this: Ron is a has been. Who knows what kind of creative magic he conjured while creating Monkey Island, but rest assured, it is all gone. Don't expect him to ever make anything good ever again.

negator2vc

Scholar
I wonder how many people refunded the game after witnessing that intro act?
And how many are going to break their equipment after witnessing the so called ending!!!????
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

This is the only time I was really glad for the existence of usefull masochists that post game walkthroughs
on youtube!

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
"Story, art, puzzles, dialogue are bad but the game is not aggressively bad". RPGcodex 2022
what does "aggressively bad" mean? The game won't run at all? Jesus wept...

Also those who expected puzzles from this are completely delusional. You need to throw a few punches in your faces to come to your senses.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I wonder how many people refunded the game after witnessing that intro act?
And how many are going to break their equipment after witnessing the so called ending!!!????

This is the only time I was really glad for the existence of usefull masochists that post game walkthroughs
on youtube!
I've told you that it'll be the adventure of the year. But you didn't want to believe it. Next time you should take me more seriously.

If the press, fanboys and YTubers want this to be the AOTY, it will be, no matter what you think.

r.jpg

Screen-Shot-048.jpg

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I have played for almost two hours and decided that I am going to refund this trash.

The atrocious art style is making my eyes bleed and the gameplay is pretty meh. The dialogue and puzzles are severely lacking the charm and wittiness of earlier installments, and otherwise all I have really been doing during my playtime is revisiting locales and talking to characters that we already know. From what I have seen, RTMI is more of a reimagining of Monkey Island, than a new game.

Further, why start on Melee Island? Is Ron that creatively bankrupt? This is what the developers did in Escape to Monkey Island and that probably wasn't a good idea either.

All said, I don't really feel like playing anymore, so I doubt that I will pirate it either. I have better things to do and actually entertaining games to play. Just this: Ron is a has been. Who knows what kind of creative magic he conjured while creating Monkey Island, but rest assured, it is all gone. Don't expect him to ever make anything good ever again.
I am getting the feeling that RTMI is the first experiment in games with writing and 'jokes' being entirely AI-made.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I am getting the feeling that RTMI is the first experiment in games with writing and 'jokes' being entirely AI-made.
I'm getting the feeling that at this poit AI could do a better job on writing and jokes. If AI could design puzzles that would be a clear incline.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The art style is shit but there's no way that honor will be stolen from Chaos Overlords any time soon :lol:

b6abecbbff847d5dc8b29bb8765c14de9af83eb49444b3b0a88f512bf57085df.jpg
Just leave the Chaos Overlords alone! I have a soft spot for them, and crappy portraits of your cyberpunk gangsters added to its charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom