Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Codex Year of the Donut
Diablo 2 was one of the worst things to happen to the genre.

Why? Also, what genre? Do you mean action RPGs? Because I feel like apart from Diablo 1, Diablo 2 started the genre. I could be off on the history though.
most of the worst aspects in RPGs can be traced directly back to diablo 2

Like....? And I'm actually curious what you think are the "worst aspects" in RPGs.
right off the top of my head?
color-coded randomly generated loot puke

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Diablo 2 was one of the worst things to happen to the genre.

Why? Also, what genre? Do you mean action RPGs? Because I feel like apart from Diablo 1, Diablo 2 started the genre. I could be off on the history though.
most of the worst aspects in RPGs can be traced directly back to diablo 2

Like....? And I'm actually curious what you think are the "worst aspects" in RPGs.
right off the top of my head?
color-coded randomly generated loot puke
So same thing that we had in ES:Arena then. Still if that is something you consider one of the "worst aspects" of today's RPGs then they must be amazing. Don't get me wrong random loot can be quite retarded for most RPG, but game like D2 is designed around it and you can't say that it invented it, tons of old CRPGs had random loot.

Codex Year of the Donut
So same thing that we had in ES:Arena then. Still if that is something you consider one of the "worst aspects" of today's RPGs then they must be amazing. Don't get me wrong random loot can be quite retarded for most RPG, but game like D2 is designed around it and you can't say that it invented it, tons of old CRPGs had random loot.
yes, elder scrolls arena popularized randomly generated loot puke. Genius, just what I'd expect from a left click simulator addled brain.

As we can all see, it is in fact elder scrolls arena and not diablo 2 responsible for this being in nearly every game now:
Witcher-3-Dismantle-Menu.jpg

1511121108-01.jpg

and it's no big deal that basically 80% of the genre has had its itemization completely destroyed, just a very minor thing for left-click addict addled brains because they get a big dopamine hit when they get the right type of loot puke dropped.

Codex Year of the Donut
another thing diablo 2 popularized:
skill trees with tiny, incremental bonuses

"b-b-but they weren't the FIIIIIIIIRST!!!"
no diablo 2, nobody would be doing it, eat shit

diablo 2 is just a grab bag of terrible design decisions worshiped by people with low impulse control

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
At least my brain hasn't rotted to the point to show Witcher 3 when talking about RPGs.

Skill trees with tiny incremental bonuses... oh boy what RPG comes to mind, hmm oh yeah let me put 1 point into outdoorsman.

5SHFi3v.jpg

Nvm we are on the they didn't do it first but they "popularized" phase.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Developers are simply prone to copying banalities instead of substance. Before op runewords D2 itemization while having colors had in them good amount of stuff that mattered. Blue swords with high damage and "jewelers" plate mails, interesting rares and crafted items, full sets and partial set bonuses and uniques all had some use in the game.
Skill trees are the same. They can exist to actually allow you construct interesting characters, or just as a set of pre determined pathways where you in reality can't step anywhere (cause something retarded like synergies is on the way) and there's nothing to explore and find because everything your character can do is already pre-written in a tidy list.

There's something to be said about this damning of developers where they dream that making a copy of something is very easy. It's just some dudes running around killin things for loot. It can't be that hard to copy this and "kill" it? But then they try to say even not kill it, but remake the thing, and all kinds of just absurd jokes start to happen. Like their artists can't draw gemstones as sexy looking as in original and have to redraw them, or can't make blizzard or lightning effects for sorceress as sexy as original too. You can break something into very little parts, study everything, put it back together, and end up with something that just doesn't work. With RPGs, that just seem like a most often thing happenin.
The quality of some of things just fitting well together in a lot of classics is, honestly, something we just too much take for granted.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Well said. You can't point finger to a game that used some game mechanic horribly inappropriately and retrogradely assign the fault to the original game that use it well. On face value item/UI system that colors its items in a game all about finding items is positive, same with small incremental bonuses when you have 99 levels. Yes it's mega retarded to have a RPG with leveling system that maxes around 20-30 lvl and offer +2% to some stat.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
By the way, if there are still naive people who expects something not shitty from Blizzard in 2022, I just leave it here :
anzqvxq_700bwp.webp
Her inability to properly flip her selfie pains me, so I had to do it for her:
20220924_150443.jpg

Also, if you crop out the majestic tits, it turns out there is very little anything else there:
20220924_150433.jpg

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I wrote about this today but I think the success of this game will come down to one question, which is whether or note it is more like Diablo 2, or Diablo Immortal. It is already clear me to that it is NOT like Diablo 3, which I think is the best move.

Explain how Diablo 3 and Diablo Immortal are different?

I remember tinkering with all kinds of builds on my own in offline in D2, but online I only remember 1 or at most 2 viable build people would run per class.

Assassin: lol
Druid: lol (volcano?)

You clearly didn't tinker enough.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Also I'm less concerned about obscene monetization because 1) they've already said monetization is cosmetic only and 2) they're smart enough to know that monetization ala Diablo Immortal is really aimed degenerate Chinese and Brazilian mobile gamblers who cannot help themselves. It doesn't fly nearly as well in the US market. D4 is supposed to be a marquee PC/Console title that will carry them into the second half of the 2020s. Overwatch 2 isn't looking to great, and it's not like the company has a deep stable of IPs to call upon. They have to get this right. Maybe that fear will get them thinking straight.
But if they want to think straight and do it right, single player campaign must be offline.

Perkel

Arcane

The druid is an extremely disappointing class compared to other mage type classes. They should've made the summons stronger or the summons limit higher.

2.4 patch for resurected changed things so that Druid can summon at the same time various types of summons. You can have both wolves and dire ones at the same time.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I was talking about original D2 back in the day.

You would constantly see Sorcs, Barbs and Amazons in your games and in the lobbies. Sometimes the odd paladin or necro. But Druids and Assassins were truly rare and even when you saw one, they were slow af. I played a lot of Druid at first and then a lot of Assassin and then finally switched to Sorc and Amazon. The difference in power and fun was extreme. In theory the skill trees offered you 20+ skills per class to play with, but in practice you were lucky to have even 1 of these be actually good. Later on synergies made stuff like Fireball Sorc more viable, but ended up also buffing the already OP shit anyway.

yes, elder scrolls arena popularized randomly generated loot puke. Genius, just what I'd expect from a left click simulator addled brain.

As we can all see, it is in fact elder scrolls arena and not diablo 2 responsible for this being in nearly every game now:
Witcher-3-Dismantle-Menu.jpg

From the CP2077 dlc thread:

Creative director of Cyberpunk2077 and narrative lead [...] both left CDPR for blizzard in 2018 and now are both creative director and narrative lead for Diablo IV.
CDPR needs to kick out all its diablo and mmorpg-loving subhumans.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Those markers that indicate where you can jump or use the ladders are extremely dumb. Can't they let people figure out these simple tasks on their own?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Those markers that indicate where you can jump or use the ladders are extremely dumb. Can't they let people figure out these simple tasks on their own?
That's exactly what Lost Ark did. You had all these "cool" traversal sections you would traverse by pressing the dedicated interaction button. Press F to climb, jump, vault, pick up a flower, chop down a tree and so on.

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
another thing diablo 2 popularized:
skill trees with tiny, incremental bonuses

"b-b-but they weren't the FIIIIIIIIRST!!!"
no diablo 2, nobody would be doing it, eat shit

diablo 2 is just a grab bag of terrible design decisions worshiped by people with low impulse control
i'm a huge diablo fan but i agree with you.

worship of vanilla diablo 2 sounds dumb. bots removed tediousness and shifted the strategy to team management. devs ignore the idea of replacing botting with a similar intentional system design. players could care less too.

but i believe gaming needs to grow to the point where it can support a single character's development and a full scale team strategy work up. that's an idea that came from playing tons of diablo and learning from their flaws.

J1M

Arcane

The druid is an extremely disappointing class compared to other mage type classes. They should've made the summons stronger or the summons limit higher.
They wanted you to be a werewolf or a wind druid. The summons are not a focus.

Hurricane and such is actually pretty good. Can play the game with much less clicking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom