Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol - RPS's impressions

entertainer said:
How come there's so many fanboys of this ass effect 2 in rpgcodex?

LOL THIS IS FUNNY BECAUSE HE IS TALKING ABOUT FANBOYS OF ALPHA PROTOCOL AND RENAMING IT ASS EFFECT 2 (BECAUSE OBSIDIAN STARTED WITH BIOWARE SEQUELS) BY DROPPING THE "M" FROM "MASS" WHICH SPELLS *SNIGGER* *GIGGLE* ASS!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and skyway, also I was replying to you in response to your comment on the bad AI so figured I could spare me the few precious seconds of otherwise wasted time of having to quote it. Commentator said something about ironing out the AI too and AI is something that can quickly change and demos are generally played on easy mode you hilarious nostalgic srs bizzness fanboy boyclown prodigy you

MetalCraze

Arcane
DriacKin said:
To be fair, his contributions to MotB (Gann and Kaelyn) were pretty solid.

Gann could've been much better tbh simply because his alpha male character wasn't too believable with his infantile talks. I think he was a bit too over the top.
Not that a few good characters made by Avellone since '99 somehow make him so special, especially looking at where AP is going.

denizsi

Arcane
On the other hand, I've met plenty of infantile alpha male characters in real life who always behaved over-the-top as if they were in some teen-drama 24/7. And so much worse with women. Most of them almost always are over-the-top :shrug:

edit in italic -always catering to the mainstream!

elander_

Arbiter
denizsi said:
Alpha Protocol, so far, looks so inconsistent regarding its setting and tone

What setting and tone? The only thing you know is that it's a spy game theme and it's something about an alpha protocol. This is like bitching about a game and saying it will be shit because it has elfs and dwarves.

denizsi said:
Especially considering the track record of Obsidian itself is also similarly inconsistent. NWN2? MOTB? This? WTF are they doing at all?

I could have said the some thing about Troika but that doesn't count. Avellone made MoTB which got a good review here at the Codex. Kotor2 is considered a good game despite being flowed. I don't see this as being such a bad track record.

denizsi said:
On the other hand, I've met plenty of infantile alpha male characters who always behaved over-the-top as if they were in some teen-drama 24/7. And so much worse with women. Most of them almost always are over-the-top :shrug:

That's funny because we only have one movie with one character dialog, which looks nothing special but it doesn't look bad either. Yet we already know how all AP characters are going to be.

But bitching is the Codex way and everything is shit until proof otherwise so have fun. I will reserve my judgement until someone i trust reviews AP.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
elander_ said:
But bitching is the Codex way and everything is shit until proof otherwise so have fun.

No, no, nowadays not even proof is needed. Everything is just shit, period.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nope. Even Skyway liked parts of MotB.

Everything is terrible until I play it and say otherwise, and that should apply to everyone; it'd reduce disappointment dramatically. Someone else's opinion (eg. Witcher) isn't proof, it's hearsay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
elander_ said:
But bitching is the Codex way and everything is shit until proof otherwise so have fun.

Because a 14 minute video of extremely shitty gameplay and dozen of previews is not a proof enough.

Seriously just when did the Codex got so overwhelmed by ESF morons with dumb fanboy logic?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
Darth Roxor said:
elander_ said:

Because a 14 minute video of extremely shitty gameplay is not a proof.

Because apparently 14 minutes of video is enough to say that the whole plot is extremely generic, there is no meaningful c&c, all stats mean nothing, all dialogues are childish and stupid, there isn't any good stealth and the list goes on and on. Am I right, mr clairvoyant?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well let's see.
a) Developers always show the best parts in preview - even fake something to make the game look better.
Obviously developers wanted to show us the shittiest example of C&C because apparently that'll sell the game.
b) Countless times both developers and media-whores stated that there is no stealth in the game - you just run and gun and all stealth goes down to sneaking past two guys only to put down everyone else
c) Already developers showed 3 shitty written characters:
Mike Thorton, Z and that generic arab terrorist boss.
d) They showed lots of dialogues not only in this video - and so far every single one of them sounded on the level of Bioware or even worse - one of the first previews even had a whole two lines of how conversation goes - it was ridiculously bad.
e) Developers also clearly stated that stats doesn't mean shit - as your character will never suck in combat and all mini-games are available from the start - and as evidenced by this video - the hacking skill is 100% useless.
The list can go on and on and on.

And now a question for you
Show me at least one preview or video showing good gameplay, good combat, good dialogues, good C&C, good characters, good usage of skills? Just how do you know it won't suck?
Show me your example or go act like a dumb retard and cry about how it is early to judge even though there wasn't a single example of something good.
Harsh yes - but I can't really say anything else to a perfect ESFer.

denizsi

Arcane
What setting and tone? The only thing you know is that it's a spy game theme and it's something about an alpha protocol. This is like bitching about a game and saying it will be shit because it has elfs and dwarves.

And that you can bang all the chicks. And that if you don't, they turn on you later on. And that combat is craptastic, as evidenced in videos, and that AI even worse. And dialogue terribly mediocre and embarrassingly cheesy at moments.

For those following, plenty of information has been given out in interviews and videos already, to get a general impression. At least one that Obsidian has been willing to give so far.

One moment, the game is Bauer-meets-Bourne kind of SIRIUS B-ZINSS with terrible B-movie lines. Next, it's a very shitty light-hearted light-humour rip off of the worst and the most cheesy James Bond moments. Then it's an action game so shitty and arcady (NOT arcady therefore shitty), neither of Bond/Bauer/Bourne references are applicable.

One interview, it's a grim espionage action game with lots of choices. Another video, it's the most infantile shit you've yet to see.

I don't have anything against Obsidian. I was pretty fascinated about an Aliens RPG and one by Obsidian, even without any solid information on the game, and I'm disappointed that it got cancelled/postponed. Before they started advertising AP, I was also interested in it. The setting -modern day action espionage with references to Bond/Bauer/Bourne- was somewhat intriguing. That was "before". So far, AP looks to me like it's going to be the most mediocre and insignificant Obsidian game to date.

I don't see this as being such a bad track record.

And I didn't say bad, but a fucked up, inconsistent track record.

That's funny because we only have one movie with one character dialog, which looks nothing special but it doesn't look bad either. Yet we already know how all AP characters are going to be.

I meant in real life. I've thought the implication would be obvious but apparently not.

How about go fuck yourself skyway?

How about you go suck a fuck? R00FLES!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
b) Countless times both developers and media-whores stated that there is no stealth in the game - you just run and gun and all stealth goes down to sneaking past two guys only to put down everyone else

Oh yeah, except the last preview where they said you can be as much lethal as non-lethal, and if you play a sneaky character and attract too much attention you're fucked.

e) Developers also clearly stated that stats doesn't mean shit - as your character will never suck in combat and all mini-games are available from the start - and as evidenced by this video - the hacking skill is 100% useless.

Except that it was also stated that the preview shows an area that is very early in the game, and they even said that the hacking minigame gets drastically harder later on
and attempting it without investing in the appropriate skill will probably be painful.

Show me at least one preview or video showing good dialogues, good C&C, good characters, good usage of skills? Just how do you know it won't suck?

Exactly. I don't. I also have doubts about certain things, but unlike you, I don't take my doubts for facts. And yeah, I will draw the 'not enough info to judge' card, since the previews that actually show anything are only the ones from E3 and not only do they show the very same level, but also it's an area early in the game, and they don't show the far-reaching consequences, only mention them - they might exist, but might as well not. I don't know, so I will see it for myself and judge accordingly.

MetalCraze

Arcane
elander_ said:
That's funny because we only have one movie with one character dialog
This is actually pretty funny, because me - a guy who hates all games (tm) - saw at least three AP videos with dialogues. This is just like ESF - for some reason I saw and read about game more than you, who is actually interested in it.
Where is the logic?

which looks nothing special but it doesn't look bad either
Do you bash Bioware games for bad writing? If yes - then never do that again.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Oh yeah, except the last preview where they said you can be as much lethal as non-lethal, and if you play a sneaky character and attract too much attention you're fucked.
Seriously? They said? Judging by RPS preview, to which this thread is dedicated, both stealth and non-stealth walkthroughs are so similar that you just go on killing sprees in both cases.
Selective reading?

Except that it was also stated that the preview shows an area that is very early in the game, and they even said that the hacking minigame gets drastically harder later on
and attempting it without investing in the appropriate skill will probably be painful.
So basically what they say is that skill doesn't mean a shit because you still play a minigame where if you have a problem finding a correct track to the center of the square then you are probably blind.
Again SHOW me that it will happen otherwise. Right now judging by this video Obsidian bullshits hard.

Exactly. I don't. I also have doubts about certain things, but unlike you, I don't take my doubts for facts. And yeah, I will draw the 'not enough info to judge' card, since the previews that actually show anything are only the ones from E3 and not only do they show the very same level, but also it's an area early in the game, and they don't show the far-reaching consequences, only mention them - they might exist, but might as well not. I don't know, so I will see it for myself and judge accordingly.
Then maybe you should check all other previews huh?
Also I simply amazed by how retarded logic fanboys have - "it's too early in the game"
So what? They somehow stuffed the beginning with retarded stuff and normal stuff comes only after "you've played the game enough"? If anything this also proves that the beginning of the game is shit - will you use it as an excuse now?
Too early to judge - just like it was with Fallout 3 right?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man, remember back when Oblivion was about to come out and GhanBuriGhan was all like "TOO EARLY TO JUDGE", then came back a year later, beaten and defeated, sobbing "YOU WERE RIGHT!!!"? It was back when Chefe was funny.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If you do not want to bitch about design choices in games you haven't played, why are you here? :)

elander_

Arbiter
denizsi said:
And I didn't say bad, but a fucked up, inconsistent track record.

Yes just like Troika.

Really dude, i can understand you didn't like the dialog and it looked uninspired and that your position will be negative like a good Codexer until you see something good. I'm ok with that. But you are not going to convince me the story is bad or that all characters are bad when you just saw 99% of it and that is being written by Avellone.

Now keep being a good Codexer and bitch about AP being the worst game ever.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
Man, remember back when Oblivion was about to come out and GhanBuriGhan was all like "TOO EARLY TO JUDGE", then came back a year later, beaten and defeated, sobbing "YOU WERE RIGHT!!!"? It was back when Chefe was funny.

Oh but he changed his mind - that's the difference.
I guarantee you that even after a dozen of New Vegas previews and videos the exactly same fanboys will cry here "it's too early to judge/it's too early in the game (even though Obsidian showed gameplay on different locations in their videos of AP - "it's still too early in the game")" even though Sawyer directly said that they are making NV for casual gamers and probably will throw a thing or two at people who actually like games.
Note how fanboys always mostly stick to things that were shown the less (the story f.e.) when defending their precious AP - but never really to things like gameplay. It's like subconsciousness speaks for the next generation - they need "cinematic" stuff like story and "C&C" in their games over everything else, they don't need or care about gameplay.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
Seriously? They said? Judging by RPS preview, to which this thread is dedicated, both stealth and non-stealth walkthroughs are so similar that you just go on killing sprees in both cases.
Selective reading?

RPS said:
How in one instance you could slip your way through, those you killed never knowing you were coming, the rest never realising you’d been

?

This doesn't quite sound like a description of a shootout killing spree with gore landing in every possible part of the map.

So basically what they say is that skill doesn't mean a shit because you still play a minigame where if you have a problem finding a correct track to the center of the square then you are probably blind.
Again SHOW me that it will happen otherwise. Right now judging by this video Obsidian bullshits hard.

Oh yeah, sure. Just like in System Shock 2 where you could go hack stuff with 0 cyber affinity and you'd still face the same silly, easy connect-the-dots minigame. Just except that probably every dot would be a red dot that could blow up when used.

What's the problem in that? You are probably blind if you can't connect the dots!

Then maybe you should check all other previews huh?

The other previews that show nothing except very skimpy pieces of random dialogues?

Also I simply amazed by how retarded logic fanboys have - "it's too early in the game"
So what? They somehow stuffed the beginning with retarded stuff and normal stuff comes only after "you've played the game enough"? If anything this also proves that the beginning of the game is shit - will you use it as an excuse now?

God, the beginning of the game is shit because it doesn't throw superextrafuckinguberdifficult stuff that needs 495764564895675 in random skill right at the start, doesn't show thousands of difficult moral choices that all have far reaching (but somehow instantly visible) consequences etc. Isn't it fucking obvious that the first area will be more or less easier in every aspect than the later areas, to make you more accustomed with the game?

Fallouts must be the shittiest games ever, just look at their starting locations!

elander_

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
I guarantee you that even after a dozen of New Vegas previews and videos the exactly same fanboys will cry here "it's too early to judge/it's too early in the game

Wait skyway you already know that NV is going to be shit even without seeing any material? Your IQ must be like 200. You are amazing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
elander_ said:
MetalCraze said:
I guarantee you that even after a dozen of New Vegas previews and videos the exactly same fanboys will cry here "it's too early to judge/it's too early in the game

Wait skyway you already know that NV is going to be shit even without seeing any material? Your IQ must be like 200. You are amazing.

Yup, he's our local clairvoyant, just like I said.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Jasede said:
Nope. Even Skyway liked parts of MotB.

Everything is terrible until I play it and say otherwise, and that should apply to everyone; it'd reduce disappointment dramatically. Someone else's opinion (eg. Witcher) isn't proof, it's hearsay.

Yes let's be pessimistic fucks 'till we die because we can't suffer any more from disappointment :cry:

Codexers must be very succesful people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom