Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It was a very good decision to make the banters occur somewhat randomly and not packing them into dialogue trees that you can access at any time. I really disliked that in NWN2 and Dragon Age 1, where you basically just went through the dialogue trees once in a while for all the npcs. That felt very gamey and not like having people in a party that have a normal talk once in a while. BG2 did that very nicely with the interjections that are out of direct control for the player.
Really? I'd say the player-directed method is much better than your romance asking you where your relationship is going in the middle of a corpse-ridden battlefield.

BruceVC

Magister
It was a very good decision to make the banters occur somewhat randomly and not packing them into dialogue trees that you can access at any time. I really disliked that in NWN2 and Dragon Age 1, where you basically just went through the dialogue trees once in a while for all the npcs. That felt very gamey and not like having people in a party that have a normal talk once in a while. BG2 did that very nicely with the interjections that are out of direct control for the player.
Really? I'd say the player-directed method is much better than your romance asking you where your relationship is going in the middle of a corpse-ridden battlefield.
Do you know they say that buggery is boring, incest is relatively boring and necrophilia is dead boring :-D

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like someone doesn't understand the spirit of romance!

I "liked" how the prompts tended to come up at the weirdest times whether right before or right after major battles and it's like: Really? You want to talk about this now?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I "liked" how the prompts tended to come up at the weirdest times whether right before or right after major battles and it's like: Really? You want to talk about this now?

The age old RPG excuse: "WE MAY NEVER SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN AFTER THIS NEXT BATTLE, SO HERE IS HOW I REALLY FEEL BRUH" :D

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

The age old RPG excuse: "WE MAY NEVER SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN AFTER THIS NEXT BATTLE, SO HERE IS HOW I REALLY FEEL BRUH" :D
Yes, but I'm trying to complete a buff cycle and you're making me forget where I am, stfu! This really isn't the time to bone!

Blutwurstritter

Learned
My focus was not on the romances but the bantering. But on a second thought, nothing gets an adventurers heart pumping like some undead ridden crypts or a romantic stroll through the sewers. Sometimes the timing was indeed a bit off and added an unintended comedic element to the romances. Still, they could have improved on that instead of switching to the lifeless dialogue tree approach.

Johannes

Arcane
Any time would be a bad time to bring up these "romantic" whines about their past while the game goes on. When you're on a crazy adventure slaying dragons, demons, vampires, beholders... Why not talk about that, the latest thing you did together or what to do next? Why would you angst over long gone shit when you're constantly risking your life together? It's hardly surprising ppl would start fucking in this situation, but not like this.

Every time I replay this game I lose enthusiasm for it either after the Underdark or upon starting ToB.

Also the awful frame rate is really jarring these days because of how used I am to 120+ FPS.

If there was a mod that fixed the frame rate I would probably play it again

This is really something that should have been changed in the EE. But re-rendering all of the sprites to add the extra frames for a baseline 60 or even 120 FPS would take work, and beamdog is not a company that does work. Unfortunately it's not something that can be fixed with mods, your screen and the game can run at 10,000 FPS but if there's not a new frame of animation to display then there's nothing to display.

All this combat and adventuring makes Jaheira horny...

There's racial restrictions on romance, but there should really be class restrictions too. Women get horny when big burly fighters are decapitating enemies left and right in front of them, but would eye roll at a guy in robes who hides in the back of the party muttering nerd nonsense.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
make sure you use her new official portrait
Mazzy-CLB.jpg

Johannes

Arcane

There's racial restrictions on romance, but there should really be class restrictions too. Women get horny when big burly fighters are decapitating enemies left and right in front of them, but would eye roll at a guy in robes who hides in the back of the party muttering nerd nonsense.
You know what chicks really dig? Domination. Yeah that's a mage spell. I put on my wizard robe and hat.

Johannes

Arcane
Thinking of starting a 3 man party, with berserker->mage, kensai->thief, and fighter/cleric(and occasional normal NPC to do their quests). To keep things simple, gain fast xp, and also because there's 3 boots of speed in SoA.

But theres a lot of conflicting info about getting one pair of speed boots from renal bloodscalp. Ideally I'd kill him before going to spellhold, but how does that work exactly? There's talk of feebleminding him, or the whole room, before killing him, then some other methods too, what has actually worked for you guys? Did it force you to join bodhi? Did you do it in which chapter?

Though I guess I should just start the damn game and figure it out for myself, view it as a puzzle

My focus was not on the romances but the bantering. But on a second thought, nothing gets an adventurers heart pumping like some undead ridden crypts or a romantic stroll through the sewers. Sometimes the timing was indeed a bit off and added an unintended comedic element to the romances. Still, they could have improved on that instead of switching to the lifeless dialogue tree approach.
Few things get a woman hot and bothered like mortal danger. I see nothing requiring suspension of disbelief there.

BruceVC

Magister
I wil be starting my next and last playthrough of bg2 in my life.
With harem party:
charname sorcerer
aerie
jaheira
nalia
imoen
mazzy

With a few small mods: spell50, level cap 50, easy of use , item upgrade
This will be 100% completionist playthrough: all quests, all romances (easy of use mod), all strongholds (easy of use mod)

Once i complete this shitty game i will post how many enemies i killed in entire game and party members levels at endgame.
Wish me luck*

*i will be playing on easiest difficulty level so maybe not
You leaving out Viconia? Best Romance option :hug:

Keep us updated of your journey

TheSoul

Scholar
I think I've finally washed away the pain of playing POE and want to try rtwp again. Is it better to play pathfinder 1, bg1, nwn1 or iwd1? I don't really know the specifics of each game other than generalities like iwd is more combat oriented and bg has boo.

The Limper

Educated
IWD has the best music, is very linear and is a combat feast.

BG1 is open world. Fun but aged these days.

NWN1 vanilla is meh…. DLCs are a must.

I’ll let others comment on Pathfinder. I couldnt get past the 1st 10 minutes. Others may like it best, who knows….

Yosharian

Arcane
I think I've finally washed away the pain of playing POE and want to try rtwp again. Is it better to play pathfinder 1, bg1, nwn1 or iwd1? I don't really know the specifics of each game other than generalities like iwd is more combat oriented and bg has boo.
Kingmaker is a mixed bag to say the least. Out of the other ones you mentioned, I think BG1 is by the far the best, but some people prefer IWD1. It really depends what you like, but they're both good. NWN1 is pretty ass - I'll agree that the expansion packs are significantly better though.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Start with BG1. If you enjoy the combat, then play IWD. If romances and party banter is an integral part of your CRPG experience then play BG2.

boot

Prophet
Icewind Dale or BG1 if you haven't played either you can't go wrong between the two.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
how bad was POE? I lost interest in it really quickly
Most of the criticism of PoE stems from it being a bait-and-switch. If you go into it expecting more BG you end up having a bad time. Taken on its own merits it's decent. You will have to skip through a lot of text though.

how bad was POE? I lost interest in it really quickly

Chapter 1 ends with a whimper and leaves the player adrift in a bland plot for the rest of the game. The disappointing mechanics don't pair well with the endless hordes of auto-attacking trash mobs. The game has exceptional aesthetics, but everything else is so bland and uninspired derivative. The entire thing would be forgettable were it not such a disappoinment to the legacy it tried to shoulder.

Had it been made by some indie studio, it would have been hailed as a good first step in the right direction. That it was made by Obsidian, meant it was a mediocre failure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom