Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haaa i managed to beat one of them but just as i was about to talk to him while cowering one of his buddies came out of nowhere and wrecked my shit. Fuck it, i'm leaving. It was a fun try though.

Harthwain

Magister
I remember an earlier build of the game where it was practically impossible to hunt deer early on because the deer would run away after being shot.
It reminds me of that time when I hunted deer on horseback and ran into a Cuman camp in the woods.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
I would like to try Hardcore mode but I'm pretty certain no fast travel would eventually end up being way too much of a drag for me and I would never finish the playthrough
Only a matter of perspective. Given how I've replayed this game a lot and planning out for 5th playthrough, fast traveling kinda takes away from getting from point A to B, especially since sometimes the icon moves with such slow pace traveling in game would be much faster.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only a matter of perspective. Given how I've replayed this game a lot and planning out for 5th playthrough, fast traveling kinda takes away from getting from point A to B, especially since sometimes the icon moves with such slow pace traveling in game would be much faster.
This is actually really cool, btw: if you choose to immerse yourself in the world, you don't "pay" in time as much. I think this "hidden mechanic" is pretty great.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It's too bad that Vavra has such an hardon for "cinematic" experiences because i'm sure all the dialogue they had to record (and so far they had quality voice actors too, at least for the important characters) and all the animations they had to do cut down on how much story and quests they could write in the game.
My hardcore playthrough already took 200 hours. I think that's a fine length for an RPG. There are quests aplenty.

no fast travel would eventually end up being way too much of a drag for me and I would never finish the playthrough.

No fast travel was my biggest worry about hardcore, but with the fastest horse, once I learned my way around, it wasn't a big issue. It helps that the world is so gorgeous to look at and so atmospheric of course. It kinda adds another layer to gameplay since it forces you to be economical with travels, trying to do as many things as possible in a given location.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It kinda adds another layer to gameplay since it forces you to be economical with travels, trying to do as many things as possible in a given location.

This is what i've been doing too. Feels great, i love how i have to pay attention to where i'm at and trying to memorize my surroundings and navigate around by means of the various land marks (crosses, interesting places etc).

I'm also trying to be as productive as i can with the time i have. I used to do some of that in the Infinite Engine games, like i would avoid resting for days to heal or do anything that would cause absurd amounts of time to pass in the game. That would sometime include not picking up gear to avoid making endless trips back to town to sell it (which would take days back and forth).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The Capon voice actor (Luke Dale) was considered for the role of Henry but they ran with the other guy in the end. A bad decision I say. Dale's Henry would likely have more of a scoundrel feel but more fun. McKay's Henry is meh.

I don't know, i think it fits this dynamic they have going for between the two and main characters in games usually are a bit blank for a reason. It's clear now that Capon is basically a counterpart to Henry except from the other side of the equation. It's a very touching dynamic coming at the heels of Pillars of Eternity (last storyfag RPG i played, or tried to play before may playthrough got cock blocked by the release of Elden Ring lmao) it's refreshing. The writing on Pillars was so fucking depressing. I think i'm having a bit of the same reaction to KCD that some people had for the new Top Gun movie. It's like, sometimes things can be fun and not be always fucking miserable you know?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok another example of the kind of fun i'm having in this game. I bolted from the Cumans since even if i can beat them i can't take their stuff with me. So i went to sleep, and i got up early because i was already at full nourishment and energy. So instead of passing time by pressing T, i'm passing time looking for mushrooms i can cook so i can have some food for the road.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would like to try Hardcore mode but I'm pretty certain no fast travel would eventually end up being way too much of a drag for me and I would never finish the playthrough. I'm not that much of an immersion fag anymore, I appreciate things that save me time now. If I was 15-20 years younger I'm sure I would be into it though. I wish there was a customizeable difficulty mode.
It's really not a problem most of the time. It's mildly annoying only the first few hours after the prologue, when your horse is slow and you don't know the world yet but once you get your first good horse and get your bearings travelling from a place to place is p. quick. It helps the world is kindda small (but full of detail, in the best tradition of Gothic 1/2).

BY FAR the more problematic feature is not being able to see yourself on the map. It was a huge pain before I got my bearings. Once, due to the Somnambulist malus, I fell asleep and woke up in the middle of a forest. Took me literal hours (in-game) before I found my way back to the civilization. And I kept struggling with this feature for most of my HC run. No fast-travel is a breeze compared to this.

P.S. Ad "I'm not an immersion fag anymore" - I was positively anti-immersion before KCD. Seeing all those fags installing survival mods to Skyrim and trying to larp that PoS made me laugh so hard. But KCD is specifically designed as a larper's paradise. Unlike most other RPGs, the more you're larping this, the more fun it is. If you're not playing HC and going for full LARP/immershun you're not harnessing the game's full potential.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao. Like, lol. I was standing next to the fire admiring the forest, and some rabbit actually walked next to me. I shot it, and got my first hare meat. I was just going to cook one to give it to Mutt since its stolen meat and i don't want it with me, but when i put it on the fire instead of cooking one by one it cooked all 15 i looted from the corpse and now they no longer appear stolen once cooked. That's amazing i can basically just send Mutt to kill them, cook the meat, sell it, and make free gold out of nothing. That almost feels like cheating.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game assumes that when you kill the rabbit, and cook the meat, you're thinking about feeding yourself as a matter of survival. And it *is* a game... so... it's not as much as it is cheating it is as much as the reality of playing a videogame - it can't read your thoughts. :)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, the hunt has begun! May the best archer win!

Lol yeah right i just whipped Mutt at every rabbit i see and killed five and it's 6:47. By noon i'll have cleared the entirety of Bohemia of rabbits.

[EDIT] Hey, Mutt gets tired of hunting. Interesting.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's 8:29 and i'm already close to being encumbered from hare meat. I guess i can try to actually shoot some for the remaining three hours lul.

[EDIT] Hold on here can Mutt actually spook animals? I was sneaking up to a rabbit then Mutt got in front me and the rabbit bolted. Maybe that's why i'm having such an hard time? I thought things in the game just ignored Mutt.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Damn i'm good, i snuck around the Cuman camp, pillaged the chests, than chocked both Cumans and looted their shit. I'm now sneaking away with Capon while encumbered i hope i can make it to town i ain't giving up shit. :keepmymoney:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nope, i got teleported to town, but now i gotta go with Bernard after bandits. I'm crawling my way to the mill as fast as i can so i can get my armor. I hope Bernard is gonna wait for me lul.

[EDIT] Turns out i can't. Fuck.

So i reloaded and i'm now riding with Bernard, still encumbered. Sadly, some of the hare meat has gone bad already shiiiiet.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm now investigating the murder, questioning witnesses and looking for tracks... with a sack filled with bandit armor and rotten meat hanging on my back lul.

Lhynn

Arcane
Good tip about the potion, but if only animals would stop moving.

I guess i need to raise my hunting skill? Because as soon as i spot them, every tiny movement i make sends them scurrying around and i'm at 12 stealth with zero noise gear.
Remember to hunt without armor, only the glove thing to avoid hurting yourself with a bow. Stealth is very important and noise hurts it massively. My Henry is an exhibitionist.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i find the bandit killing his friend, sneak up to him then choke him out. Loot his shit, and now it tells me i can't even go on the horse. I'm too encumbered for poor Pebbles. So i dropped all the hare meat, and i can ride now, but now i gotta go look for that Ginder dude. Can i PLEASE drop into town so i can unload my shit. Also i'm supposed to go talk to Theresa and there's the tourney again and i'm stuck with this shit fuuuuuu....

Paul_cz

Arcane
BY FAR the more problematic feature is not being able to see yourself on the map.
Problematic? That's the best feature of hardcore and one of the reasons I love this game so much. It is so refreshing being able to actually get lost in a game.

Modron

Arcane
KCD isn't really that big that you need a map, you'll eventually be able to orient yourself just fine without checking it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom