Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Aye, all ig troops back then were based on a real word analogue, cadians were the exception to my knowledge and arguably the most vanilla of the bunch which is why its kinda meh they are the default ig now.
But yeah catachans were my first thought when it came to diversity in 40k that fits…and then when i looked up 2e art noticed they were all white, showing that black catachans were not there from the start, they came with 3e.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Super Resolution features and their consequences have been a disaster for people who expect games to actually be optimized on launch:
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/dev-blog-performance
6374f10f08a79152c97a9128_Required_Specs_.jpg

I wouldn't put Fatshark on my resume. This dev team fucking sucks at everything they do outside of core gameplay.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
You need a 3060/6800XT with SR and Medium Settings to reach 60 fps on 1080p? What the fuck are they smoking

Wild Slop

Arcane
I don't understand this Super Resolution stuff. I'll just make sure anything looking like that fluff is turned off and be done with it.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Was hoping if you could run vermintide 2 on medium you could run this, now not so sure... Goddamnit fatshark.

Joyvankek

Learned
I should be able to play this on ultra, though this is a fucked up optimization no doubt.
My bet is that this is why game got delayed in the first place.

I wonder what card you need to run at native 1080p and not a lower resolution that's been upscaled. 3070? 3080? 4090? A card that hasn't even been designed yet? Do we have to wait until 2030 to run this game without upscaling?

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Aye, all ig troops back then were based on a real word analogue, cadians were the exception to my knowledge and arguably the most vanilla of the bunch which is why its kinda meh they are the default ig now.
But yeah catachans were my first thought when it came to diversity in 40k that fits…and then when i looked up 2e art noticed they were all white, showing that black catachans were not there from the start, they came with 3e.
Cadians are supposed to represent modern armies, iirc, with maybe a chunk of Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book) thrown in.
The Mobile Infantry in movie SST were pretty generic army dudes anyway.

Personally I never really liked the Cadians. I wished GW would release these guys instead :

fa78e1952aa955f5addf5a1735bc461f.jpg

He looks more 40k / Imperial to me than Cadians.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Fatshark's engine has been discontinued since the year of Vermintide 2's release so at this point it's practically proprietary. They need to make the move to UE5 or something because Fatshark is the last studio I want maintaining their own tech.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/stingray/overview
Fatshark are the ones who made that engine.
afaik, they don't use stingray because they use their own internal bitsquid fork which is what was sold to become Stingray. Bitsquid was no longer publicly available after that(and instead available as Stingray), but Fatshark kept using their own version.

One of the main developers used to have a very insightful developer blog back in the day, don't think it's around anymore.

Okay, but they obviously weren't if you would just read the sentence you wrote before this one.
Do I really need to remind people that Big E, the closest thing to a protagonist for the setting, is some dusky-skinned Anatolian boy? Maybe drop a list of all the Oriental themed armies? Why exactly are we acting retarded here?
Do we really need to remind you that the Emperor's time of birth would make him a Hittite, i.e. a literal Aryan?

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
I have a friend with a 1060 that can run this game on High in 16:10. Pretty funny considering some 3060 users couldn't. Let's hope the pressure to optimize this piece of shit this time will be enough for them to actually do it.

ADL

Prophet
Fatshark's engine has been discontinued since the year of Vermintide 2's release so at this point it's practically proprietary. They need to make the move to UE5 or something because Fatshark is the last studio I want maintaining their own tech.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/stingray/overview
Fatshark are the ones who made that engine.
afaik, they don't use stingray because they use their own internal bitsquid fork which is what was sold to become Stingray. Bitsquid was no longer publicly available after that(and instead available as Stingray), but Fatshark kept using their own version.

One of the main developers used to have a very insightful developer blog back in the day, don't think it's around anymore.
Well shit. Didn't know that.

My download's almost finished. Hopefully DLSS3 is already in the game because I was getting 50fps at 4K on my 4090 with RT enabled during the beta. (Downloaded, it's in)

ADL

Prophet
Some quick performance numbers on a RTX4090/5800X3D system.
4K native w/ ray tracing on high settings: 47FPS avg.
4K native w/ ray tracing disabled: 134FPS avg.
FSR 2.0 quality enabled w/ ray tracing maxed out (better than native w/o anti-aliasing but slightly worse than DLSS): 73FPS avg.
DLSS 2.4 balanced enabled w/ ray tracing maxed out (which looks much better than native w/o anti-aliasing): 89FPS avg.
FSR 2.0 + DLSS 3.0 frame generation w/ ray tracing enabled: 115FPS avg.
DLSS 2.4 balanced + DLSS 3.0 frame generation enabled 139FPS avg.
4K native + DLSS 3.0 frame generation enabled: 176FPS avg.
Looks amazing on a OLED display with HDR enabled.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
You guys downloading the beta?
You still have to pre-order the game to access it, don't you?
Yes but it's technically not released on Steam so I believe you'll be able to refund it at any time prior to November 30th no matter how much you play it if it's anything like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2's early access period for pre-orders and there's a good chance your progression will be carried over to release.

ADL

Prophet
Servers are unstable and getting repeated disconnections. Missed a cool cutscene because of it.
Servers back up

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The madlads enabled reviews for the open beta (isn't there a way to disable that?) lol.

At least we get funni like this:

87698709786.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Seeing 4080 in the requirements, when it got released p. recently, still feels weird...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom