Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Unwanted

†††

Patron
"I'm sort of back"

He left?

bobocrunch

Educated
2) there are quite a few instances of "we're in Medieval times and women sure have it badly, yet they must suffer silently, oh if only men didn't hold all the power" dialogue that feels shoehorned,
Yeah, a truly passionate European history autist. Not like his sole goal in exploring European history is demonizing Whites and shitting on their legacy like all the other Californians cucks.

People despise Soyer for a good reason.
i pity what the internet has done to you man

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.tumblr.com/jesawyer/701558529458339840/hi-josh-being-raised-in-the-church-it-was-not-a
vorahon asked:
Hi Josh,
Being raised in the church, it was not a surprise to me to see references to Christ and his pronouns represented in red text, but what threw me was when talking with a certain character in the forest during Act III, this character used blue text for their references to the divine.
Maybe I missed something, but I can’t go back and revisit the conversation for obvious gameplay reasons, so I couldn’t confirm if it was just blue text to refer to God or Christ as well. When I tried to do some research online for why blue text might have been used, I couldn’t find much of anything. (Obviously plenty on the red text.)
What I suppose I’m asking is: Was the blue text for the divine names and pronouns a choice on the part of the developers, or is there more of a historical precedent at play here? And if possible, could you speak to the design choices behind use of colored text as a whole?
The intermittent green and blue text for emphasis was interesting, and the… other color… text found in spoilery places is something I’m still trying to wrap my head around. In a game that is so focused on both fine art and the written word, I’m sure some interesting conversations and decisions were had around font, style, color theory, etc.
Anyhow, I’m loving the game (just a bit into Act III right now) and making sure to pet all pups and kitties!

https://www.tumblr.com/vorahon
That character has extremely unorthodox views, so I chose to use blue text to highlight divine words for their Act III conversation.
More broadly, almost all characters in the game use red with words like God and related words/pronouns. Blue and green are used for emphasis in other circumstances but it's more arbitrary.
The last color you're referring to is tied to a very specific thing. I can't write any more without spoiling.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
we-got-him-we-got-em.gif

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
2) there are quite a few instances of "we're in Medieval times and women sure have it badly, yet they must suffer silently, oh if only men didn't hold all the power" dialogue that feels shoehorned,
Yeah, a truly passionate European history autist. Not like his sole goal in exploring European history is demonizing Whites and shitting on their legacy like all the other Californians cucks.

People despise Soyer for a good reason.
i pity what the internet has done to you man
I don't pity you at all. I despise you.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game. It was enjoyable. There are some gripes i have about it, but overall i love the story and characters. They did made me feel like a part of a small community in bavaria at the times of Renaissance. It's not a masterpiece but i am glad this game exists.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
The murder mystery solution really reads like some participation trophy stuff in video game form.

Also witnessing this game as a real life Bavarian (and half Rhinelander) I now know what a black person watching a minstrel show must feel like.

For context, I used to perform in a local historical group that mainly portrayed the Baiuvarii people, ancestors of Bavarians. I know stuf

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also witnessing this game as a real life Bavarian (and half Rhinelander) I now know what a black person watching a minstrel show must feel like.
I'd argue otherwise; for that is what you see every time you turn on the television, go to a cinema and watch a film, pick up a newspaper, if there are any still in print, and so on. Since the fall of Germania back in 1945 this has been true, and to a large extent before then also. The minstrel show was a mockery of the other, and plainly so, not much malign truly for it was custom back then to be much too kind even to those least deserving. A more noxious and hate fuelled variant is the norm when it comes to the kultur-terror they put out to-day. Pentiment is not this, there is sophistication to the wearing of this skin-suit. It's a Circæan lure, planted for your American-Bavarian counterpart, alienated from his people and homeland, and lacking in authentic culture, this magick lamp was forged for that type. With honeyed promises of historicity it intends to draw the people miscontent with those works more openly hostile and looking for the genuine and rooted. What is delivered is the bitterest of bile thinly disguised, a creation of the bugman drone of Zionist-American metropolis who inherits all from his masters. Anyone who plays this, for whatever reason, is surely damned. Some more than others.

People were outraged over the open defilement of Tolkien's work by Jeff Bezos, but truly this is much more vile. Thankfully urban goblins like Josh are lacking in more than soul, for he is in want of the finesse and art that would otherwise drive people to play the game. The only compliments I see for this game in this thread are from the open enemies of Europe for expressly political signalling motives and so it does not fulfil its corrupting purpose. Very few will be subverted by this in the way they were by The Name of the Rose. Praise be unto the Lord, for this bugman could not make a good game to save his life and so this diablerie is for naught. Truly the great whore will be made desolate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom