Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Nice pretext for erasing people from credits when they become inconvenient

Codex Year of the Donut
I think people severely underestimate just how long modern credits will get if they try to be "accurate" and include all contract workers and everyone who contributed in some form.
If a game makes use of a code library, do they include all the credits of the people who worked on that too? If not, why is a line being drawn arbitrarily to include some but not others despite them all contributing in some way? Hell, shouldn't unpaid contributions be prioritized?

Modron

Arcane
I think people have been aware how long credits can be for a decade now. Asscreed 3 had something like a 30+ minute long unskippable credit sequence.

Harthwain

Magister
Nice pretext for erasing people from credits when they become inconvenient
Was the technology to skip credits by pressing a button forgotten or something?

On that point, I enjoyed credits in Sacrifice. I don't think I've ever seen a more unique credits.

KVVRR

Learned
I think people severely underestimate just how long modern credits will get if they try to be "accurate" and include all contract workers and everyone who contributed in some form.
If a game makes use of a code library, do they include all the credits of the people who worked on that too? If not, why is a line being drawn arbitrarily to include some but not others despite them all contributing in some way? Hell, shouldn't unpaid contributions be prioritized?
Have you SEEN how long the credits in capeshit are nowadays? You have 15+ minutes of them on a 20 minute episode. As long as you can skip them people don't care, it's just something for the people that worked on the product to be able to point at and have proof that they did work on a project.

Codex Year of the Donut
Have you SEEN how long the credits in capeshit are nowadays? You have 15+ minutes of them on a 20 minute episode. As long as you can skip them people don't care, it's just something for the people that worked on the product to be able to point at and have proof that they did work on a project.
And that's before they start dumping in tens of thousands of names of people who tangentially worked on the product.
What's the point?

KVVRR

Learned
And that's before they start dumping in tens of thousands of names of people who tangentially worked on the product.
What's the point?
They already do. They already put in every person that worked on every single localization, VFX, SFX, etc.
That's why they're so long.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the point?
Some Kickstarted games will list high tier or even all of their backers in the credits. I remember at least one game whose credits screen had an integrated fast-forward function because of this.

Modron

Arcane
Ingame credits should be something you access from the main menu and in a format that can be parsed quickly such as slideshow which would allow you to find specific information faster and serve as a better companion to resumes. After all videogames are an interactive medium, why pretend to be a movie?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope they include the cleaner from Mexico that cleans up after Sawyer every day in the credits.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
There are so many different and interesting topics one could choose to use as the foundation of a game set in XVI century HRE. The HRE is perfect for intrigue and plot, history and relics. It's basically a D&D setting.

So in order to "make it interesting" Sawyer chooses to "subvert" authentic history for liberal Amerilard modernist garbage. Nothing could better highlight the creative bankruptcy of these people. Pathetic.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
There are so many different and interesting topics one could choose to use as the foundation of a game set in XVI century HRE. The HRE is perfect for intrigue and plot, history and relics. It's basically a D&D setting.

So in order to "make it interesting" Sawyer chooses to "subvert" authentic history for liberal Amerilard modernist garbage. Nothing could better highlight the creative bankruptcy of these people. Pathetic.
Looks like he did a "Name of the Rose" for redditors and SA goons.

KVVRR

Learned
I've yet to finish it but I'm on the last chunk of the game and while I think that some more polish overall would help out the presentation a lot (specifically the music, it could really use some more of it, I don't mind reading but please don't make 90% of the game's audio pigs, birds and sheep sounds) I actually kinda like it. The visual style stopped bothering me almost inmediatedly and it's actually a lot more competent in it's animations that I thought it'd be, I was expecting some Darkest Dungeon 1 sidescrolling tier stuff. The main character's actually quite expressive and the animations for running and turning around are quite decently done.

But it feels like as you push on more and more through the game the more rushed content is. The fadeout to what I'm assuming is the last chunk (after you resolve the murder) is so abrupt that I just let out a laugh. Earlier on you have these three voices in your head talking to you inciting you to pick different options but that seems to go away fairly soon too. The first day took me a good 2 hours to finish (I think?) but the rest felt like it took me half of that. Maybe I need to do a second playthrough later though, there seemed to be a lot of optional content that I might've missed.
The story's okay. I got spoilered that
that you can't actually accuse the right person
so thought I might as well just enjoy the characters and throw the book at whoever I thought was the worst person in town but... It's kinda obvious who they would like you to choose. I found four main suspects and two of those they pull the "actually didn't do nothing wrong" with the only reason you'd pick them being you being an asshole and one of the other two leaving town (meaning you can't pick them) and the other one being actively antagonistic towards you. So I felt kinda let down on that regard. Again though, it could very well be that I just missed stuff. There was a few other stuff that I didn't investigate even though the game wanted me to.
The characters are okay too - none of them really stood out to me that much but I liked what was there so far. There does seem to be some consecuences to your actions through the game so that's always neat. The game has this system where you can choose to share a dinner with one group/family each day which I found a quite wholesome way to establish a connection with them.
I'll be back once I've finished the game properly but I'll say this - even though it's an obvious self insert by Joshy boy a lot of what the MC says he went through on that last chunk and his feelings on the matter ring quite true for someone like me who's been through a sort of similar situation. It's a lot more interesting than how he first started, I kinda wish they would've used that background for the start even if it would've meant changing the story around somewhat.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
A friend of mine also played the game and claims that due to the choices he made, in his ending the gypsy was burned at the stake as a heretic. YUGE if true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom