Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My low resolution but 100% accurate thoughts on Dark Tide so far:

View attachment 30741
Sounds like every fatshark game, great combat and aesthetics but everything else is littered with weird design decisions.

TBH this applies to all Warhammer games, fantasy or 40K...

Turn_BASED

Educated
Game’s fun and if you’re expecting a doom running arena shooter you’re barking up the wrong tree. Yeah there’s a lot wrong with it but it’s designed to be slower paced, don’t fault it for not being quake. There are dozens of boomer shooters for that. It’s actually quite difficult at higher difficulties.

Anyway, there was a steam guide too based for the L4D trannies that got taken down. Here’s a link to the archive:

How To Celebrate Trans Awareness Week in Darktide

Beowulf

Arcane
Keeping everything cryptic is a deliberate choice. They say they want to promote experimentation and let people feel the joy of discovering things for themselves. [...]

Ahh, so the usual Fatshark treatment. You won't even know if something is working as intended until someone reports a bug and Fatshark tries to fix it in a patch, that will break other stuff.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/warhammer-40-000-darktide/20153
For anyone not sure.

It's official, my pc is too weaksauce to run darktide so won't be playing it. You lot have fun, hope you choke on performance issues and struggling to figure out obscure game mechanics!

screw-you-guys-im-going-home-eric-cartman.gif

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Ugh this was a bitch to get and it's possibly the easiest (3rd tier?) cosmetic to score. Some of those penances are basically impossible to complete. One Sharpshooter penance requires 100% accuracy and to finish the level with no ammo. One for the Psyker requires brainpopping five specials in 10 seconds, and the ability itself takes like a second and half. Who made these?

This one was to finish Malice or higher with Zealot without firing a shot (but flamer can be used, for some reason, possibly bugged?).

Doesn't matter, look boss as fuck.

zealotcosmetic.png

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Most penances are completely trivial and just a test to see if you have three other friends willing to waste their time and help you get it, it's bullshit.
Something like Psyker soloing a boss is incredibly easy, if time consuming, but having randoms sit back for several minutes while you whittle it down just isn't going to happen.

None

Scholar
Most penances are completely trivial and just a test to see if you have three other friends willing to waste their time and help you get it, it's bullshit.
Something like Psyker soloing a boss is incredibly easy, if time consuming, but having randoms sit back for several minutes while you whittle it down just isn't going to happen.
Most? Usually only the last two in the chain are contrived or difficult to get. Everything else has been easy. The headgear one is just a "play enough and you'll get it" achievement.

Harthwain

Magister
A question for the brave ones who are playing the pre-release game: how well can you tweak your class to suits your preferences in Darktide?

Most fun I had in Vermintide 2 was making builds, which allowed me to enjoy subclasses like Huntsman (Kruber) and Ranger Veteran (Bardin), although it tooks unlocking some talents to make them work. I imagine you have even more freedom in Darktide, considering there are no subclasses and no class locks when selecting characters to play?

They have nerfed and basically destroyed what little build diversity there was at the start of the early access phase to now. Before you could have maybe 2 builds per class, now there is 1 shit build per class that isn't fun and relies on abusing broken status effects unless you're Veteran which is currently destroying everything and for some reason has both the best melee and ranged weapons in the game as well as double the toughness of the designated melee class.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
They have nerfed and basically destroyed what little build diversity there was at the start of the early access phase to now. Before you could have maybe 2 builds per class, now there is 1 shit build per class that isn't fun and relies on abusing broken status effects unless you're Veteran which is currently destroying everything and for some reason has both the best melee and ranged weapons in the game as well as double the toughness of the designated melee class.
Yeah the balance in this game is horrible and the Psyker + Ogryn classes are basically useless in endgame difficulties. I will say though that the full build Zealot is still better for tanking and melee.

The meta in higher difficulties is probably 3 vets + 1 Zealot. Not that you can actually choose to have that since lobbies are still entirely random. And there's no reason presently to play harder difficulties besides those stupid penance runs.

Game design is fucked, but it still really fun using a bolter + eviscerator combo. Saw somebody trying to larp a sororitas the other day. Was awesome. Recommend sticking to Malice 3 and just enjoying the experience.

ADL

Prophet
If I wasn't maining Zealot+Psyker and sticking to Merciless/Heresy difficulties I'd probably hate Darktide but I chose well. New Daemonhost boss is a nice addition to the game. Reminds me of Witch in L4D so if you can, stealth around it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I want a playable techpriest so I can wield archeotech and shut that bitch Hadron up.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I want a playable techpriest so I can wield archeotech and shut that bitch Hadron up.
Coming as a DLC in the near future I bet
Hopefully just a standard content update instead of paid DLC. I have no idea how vermintide is monetized, but there's not enough content in the base game to justify paid classes yet.

Probably being overly optimistic here.

Harthwain

Magister
Hopefully just a standard content update instead of paid DLC. I have no idea how vermintide is monetized, but there's not enough content in the base game to justify paid classes yet.
Vermintide 2 has:

- Some maps hidden behind DLC paywall.
- Some cosmetics and an extra subclass for each class (with 3 classes being free for each of the 5 classes).

That's about it, I think. So some exclusive skins (such as Death Korps of Krieg, being one of the favourites among the people, for example) could absolutely end up as paid DLCs.

Probably being overly optimistic here.
They said they hadn't decided if new classes were going to be paid or not a while ago. Doesn't seem promising, given that they went to the effort of implementing their own premium currency. They wouldn't have bothered with that if they weren't planning on monetising everything they could.

A-Minish

Educated
For V2, as time went the focus of paid content shifted from paid DLCs containing maps, weapons, new game modes and Beastmen to premium cosmetics, new classes, a weapon pack and free maps. The quality of those additions ranges from scummy and bad to excellent and very much enjoyable. For example :

- 4 new game modes. The 1st is a hidden "Last stand" type of mission on a single map in the DLC "Back to Ubershreik"(not great, not bad). The second is called "The Weaves", no comment(Bad and dead in the water). The third is a weekly event in which you do regular missions altered by random effects(Nice, simple and free). The last one is a semi-roguelike game mode called "The Chaos Wastes", it is probably one of the best addition to the game, is highly random compared to the base game, is highly replayable, has new musics, new dialogs and it is free(to give you an idea it was added around the time Fatshark decided to focus on new classes and paid cosmetics).
- The bad. The Wind of Magic DLC as it contains a new dead game mode, a new factions of enemies not realy pleasant to fight, the Tier 5 difficulty called Cataclysm and a few new "good" weapons.
- The scummy. Fatshark sells overpowered weapons and classes to then nerf them, sometimes into the ground which is sometimes justified(Moonlight Bow and Sister of Thorn) but still scummy.
- The grudge : Bardin Song's Book was never released :argh:.

In truth it could be better or far worse than V2, I sure will wait a year to see the direction Fatshark will take.

Note that if Darktide has the same treatment as V2 then we will probably be blessed with more soundtracks by Jesper Kyd, cheers !

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Fatshark: Removing scoreboards removes toxicity!

Also Fatshark: We should design penances/challenges so teams hate each other

images

Case in point (the pysker penance where you solokill a boss with brain burst):

znz8fztx9f2a1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom