Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Daily reminder that if you don't buy Cyberpunk, the Potato economy loses some money and as a result can't afford resources for heating.
1 bought copy of Cyberpunk = 1 child in eastern Poland won't freeze.
Think about the Children in Eastern Poland.
Wait. Are you trying to get people to buy it or not to buy it?

mediocrepoet

Patron
The expansion is the last chance.
They are going to milk this IP for 10+ years. CP2078, Card Game set in The Net, Tales from Night City, CP2079, On Rails FPS in VR, Revengeance type spin-off about young Goro, Prequel about Johnny.
Kart Racer, Mini Cyber Golf with Johnny, Mascot driven platformer, VR pervo photographer game with Panam...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Brain dead fanboys who actually bought this massive piece of shit fully deserve everything they got from BASED POLAND.

a2WBp3E_460s.jpg

qopem2xhp7461.png

This abomination will be forgotten by history,mark my words.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Imagine being this mad about a 6 or 7/10 game because you expected a 10/10 game. The only reason to be mad about this game is if you had high expectations, and if you had high expectations in the last three months or so leading up to the game you are a retard.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I just like taking a shit all over CDPR fanboys. You fully deserve this degenerate industry.
Which are who? Please enlighten us, NecroTard. The only person who seems as invested as you in talking about this game these days is that other retard who's probably also you, Blizzardwhateverwhatever. You guys all sound like the same butthurt faggot smashing a keyboard with your forehead in a fit of impotent rage and retardation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And niggers like you will keep buying every piece of shit Triple A product.
Are you going for dumbfuck of the year award or what?
I mean, 2022 has a lot of stiff competition, but you're sure making a name for yourself.
Kind of reminds me of TemplarGR, but he was in-character, while this is authentic cringe.

Zayne

Scholar
So... I've finally played through this shit and got to post my opinion somewhere.

Might aswell do it here.

This game is so fucking flawed. I can't even begin to describe.
It took me 50 hours for a first-time kinda-completionist walkthrough, done some of the gigs and sidequests (it got boring and repetitive very quickly), and all "companion" questlines - Judy, Kerry, River and Panam.

The game is too short, and the story suggests you should go through it on blazing speed, because otherwise you'll die. Horribly. But guess what? It doesn't matter how fast you'll get into Mikoshi. It also doesn't matter how valiantly you stood up to Silverhand's manipulations. It also barely matters if you've befriended him and done his quests. In fact, one can argue that for your well-being, your relationship with Panam matters more.

Johnny is such a wasted opportunity, it could've been so much more. Just imagine that time matters. And his influence over you matters. And his friendship matters. So, for instance, high-influence Johnny will always take control in final mission, but if you've befriended him, you-as-Johnny can choose to surrender body back to V. But if you've antagonised him, sorry, no options here.

And, going in blind, I really feared that if I let Silverhand smoke his cigarettes, he'll be able to steal my body later. Pff, what a joke.

The same can be said about almost every aspect of the game - wasted opportunity. Gigs - check. Vehicles - check. Realty - check. Netrunning - check...

I really liked only two things - the city itself, which is beautiful and elaboratly different endings.

First I got "The Star", which was nice, but kinda bittersweet. All my efforts amounted to a chance to die as a normal human being, surrounded by friends and family.
Then I've decided to see "The Devil" and oh boy, the horror made me appreciate previous one so much more.

As far as new cyberpunk games go, Dragonfall is much better. But ye, it doesn't have photo-mode and you can't slap a dick on female body there.

FriendlyMerchant

Brain dead fanboys who actually bought this massive piece of shit fully deserve everything they got from BASED POLAND.

a2WBp3E_460s.jpg

qopem2xhp7461.png

This abomination will be forgotten by history,mark my words.
Why play this tranny trash when you can play a superior version of the game: San Andreas.

Just started playing Cyberpunk 2077 recently, and I've got to say, it's one of the most deeply OK games I've ever played. Funnily the only reason I started playing it is because I got it when it came out, and I figured I'd play it before a full year went by...only just now I realized the game came out almost two years ago, so it turns out I missed that first year mark by a bit. Thankfully I bought the game during the Christmas sale Best Buy has, so what I spent on it on release was less than some places are selling it now.

This is such an odd mess of a game, and it would definitely be interesting to hear what they originally had in mind when they started, and what they had in mind in their most grandiose visions of what it could be.

I know it's been said before, so this isn't something new, but Cyberpunk 2077 really shouldn't have been open world. But that isn't coming from some place of "open world bad" or something, playing this, it doesn't even feel like it was originally designed to be open world. The open worldness of it all, the driving, that feels like an afterthought that was tacked on at the last minute. Which seems odd given I could've sworn they were talking about this game being open world, and having an online multiplayer aspect akin to GTA5 very early on. Even somethings like the interior view of all the vehicles, which are very nice looking, feel like something that wasn't meant to actually be controlled by the player to the extent it is in the final game. When you're sitting in the passenger seat while someone else drives you around, that's how it feels like they originally meant things to function; to the point it makes me wonder if originally the vehicles operated more like Final Fantasy 15, where you set a waypoint and the car autopilots through the city...which also makes me wonder if the open world wasn't actually originally an open world that you actually interacted with to the degree the final release has you do. I could definitely imagine a version of this where all your missions are sectioned off into zones, and then there's an "open world" you see while fast traveling to locations in your car. If that was the original idea, having the car work like FF15, I could definitely see the reaction to not having full control of the car in FF15 scaring them off.

Gameplay wise Cyberpunk 2077 wants to be Metal Gear Soild 5 so badly that CD Projekt Red should've probably looked into licensing out the Fox Engine from Konami. This really feels like MGS5 lite, as neither it's gameplay, nor the level design, or the degree to which the game lets you tackle missions however you like are anywhere near as strong as MGS5. But it's good enough to be OK, and it's enjoyable enough that I didn't just give up on the game like I did with Skyrim and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The whole MGS5ness of the game does make it seem funny that you seemingly don't get to use that Militech Centaur, given I could easily see that functioning just like the D-Walker in MGS5.

The layering of clothing really sucks in Cyberpunk 2077, although being in first person, and not really having any player reflections, I guess that doesn't matter too much. But while playing this, and seeing that there's stuff it seems like you should be able to see shirts under that you just can't, just kind of sucks. Post Dragon's Dogma it also just feels lazy when bigger budget games aren't doing what Capcom did. Was also thinking about the clothing options in Fight for NY, how there's multiple ways it lets you wear your clothing, and let's you wear your hat in different ways. The clothes in this are kind of funny, because most of them are so stupid looking it's going to take a while before your character doesn't looking like some dorky jerk. Usually in cyberpunk stuff people look kind of cool, but in Cyberpunk 2077 it takes hours before your character won't look like a moron. Much of it looks so dumb it starts to feel like an intentional joke at some point.

The melee combat is kind of shitty. This is another in a long line of games that makes me wish more people played Breakdown.

Seems like a big letdown that you don't get different animations for all the other ripperdoc stuff you get like the first time. Originally that seemed like how it'd be. They showed you actually sitting in the chair scrolling through options on the screen attached to the chair.

Ideally I think this game wouldn't be open world like it is. You'd operate out of your apartment. You'd have an Internet as deep as Front Mission 3. You'd go out to locations (maybe by Fallout 1 & 2 style fast travel) sectioned off into zones...which wouldn't necessarily need to be small, in fact not being open world could've allowed them to make the areas you actually do stuff in bigger. It'd be more like MGS5, and you could switch between third and first person like MGS5; I'd even drop having an inventory for what MGS5 has, and just have you buy weapons and clothing off the Internet or some shop, which you can either modify yourself or pay someone else to do. Also seems like a letdown there's no big Netrunner aspect to the game where you're actually going into the Net. I mean they could've done it in this game as it is too, but in a version where they aren't spending the time trying to get a useless open world that serves no function operational, they probably could've spent that time creating some big Netrunner aspect of the game; could make it play like a turn based dungeon crawler or something.

It's kind of funny because I wasn't really expecting this to be as much like Fight Club as it is from The marketing. But very very quickly into this game, I was like: Oh, this is Fight Club. It's Fight Club with a explanation and ticking clock (at least as part of the story) from Johnny Mnemonic. It's also kind of funny how big of a dick Johnny Silverhand is given the casting of Keanu Reeves, and the huge Keanu lovefest that was happening at the time. Makes me wonder how many people were taken aback when they played the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom