Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

just

Liturgist
even if he did it at a discount he still cost more then half a studio combined

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
EpLqx7sVoAAscb9.jpg

MasPingon

Arcane
I know it's been said before, so this isn't something new, but Cyberpunk 2077 really shouldn't have been open world. But that isn't coming from some place of "open world bad" or something, playing this, it doesn't even feel like it was originally designed to be open world. The open worldness of it all, the driving, that feels like an afterthought that was tacked on at the last minute. Which seems odd given I could've sworn they were talking about this game being open world, and having an online multiplayer aspect akin to GTA5 very early on. Even somethings like the interior view of all the vehicles, which are very nice looking, feel like something that wasn't meant to actually be controlled by the player to the extent it is in the final game. When you're sitting in the passenger seat while someone else drives you around, that's how it feels like they originally meant things to function; to the point it makes me wonder if originally the vehicles operated more like Final Fantasy 15, where you set a waypoint and the car autopilots through the city...which also makes me wonder if the open world wasn't actually originally an open world that you actually interacted with to the degree the final release has you do. I could definitely imagine a version of this where all your missions are sectioned off into zones, and then there's an "open world" you see while fast traveling to locations in your car. If that was the original idea, having the car work like FF15, I could definitely see the reaction to not having full control of the car in FF15 scaring them off.
My thoughts exactly, playing FFXV I was thinking - this is how driving was intended to be in CP2077, it just clicked. I'm 100% sure it was implemented like that in some stage of production, just look like other cars are moving, they are all on rails. It would still be awful that way tho.:keepmyjewgold:

what would be the point in paying them after i already played it for free?
I agree with that sentiment. But what would be the point in playing if you don't like the game?

I've wasted hours playing pirated Assassin's Creed which I didn't end up buying, because I didn't like it. But the lost time is lost time. Just because it's free doesn't mean we should play every game.
thats a different topic

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Thought to just write down my experiences with this game here, on page 625 of this thread, where it will be buried forever :-D

I played it on launch, and had a great time, every hour or so I would check the subreddit, and there would be new funny posts at the top. Almost all of the top posts were about "funny" bugs. The thing is, the community found them hilarious at the time, it felt like we all had fun playing this game. I personally didn't encounter any bugs actually during my playthrough, but without spoilers, the ending left a very bad taste in my mouth. That was the first red flag, after 50 hours or so of fun.

I decided to do a second playthrough, to get a different ending and to explore all of the side content, as I was focusing only on the main quest the first time through. This is sadly where the facade started to crumble. I remember very vividly the moment that made me see Cyberpunk for what it is, like waking up in the morning next to a hooker who is 20 years older and uglier than you thought the previous drunken night.

I explored a "raider camp" in a factory grounds near the start of the game, I cleared all the enemies and when I didn't find anything of value in that location, no lore note, no unique item, absolutely nothing interesting, I started to pace around the compound, going round three times, thinking to myself, "this is CD Project Red, they must've put something here, they couldn't just have designed a pointless, empty location".

Well, after several minutes of searching everywhere, I realized that there was simply nothing to this location, it was just filler. During the rest of my playthrough I encountered a lot of such filler locations.

To summarize the rest of my qualms that became quite apparent once I started to venture past the beaten path, which is the main quest; all those little SMS messages read the same like written by cringe teenagers, it was really low effort. A lot of NPCs looked identical, I remember looking at a street and seing the same NPC copy pasted 3 times or so. In addition, they were just walking around pointlessly, there was no depth to it.

The hype that I felt at the beginning slowly died with each as the facade started to peel away like dry paint to reveal a very shallow world beneath. At the end, I played the game for 100 hours in 2 playthroughs, and it's a game I never want to play again.

Another thing, there is a quest chain with a cop, and at the end you share a BBQ together with him and his sister and her kid, or something. Well, after the meal, you share a beer with him, and talk about what you experienced together. At that point you get a choice to do something gay, I don't remember what exactly, but this disgusted me. The cop was a pretty cool dude, and I was at the end of the quest enjoying a beer with my new friend, why did they have to spoil it all by making him gay? It just ruined what was supposed to be a chill moment, like your best bro kissing you on the mouth one night, and it completely changes how you see him and is just a very bad experience, well unless you're gay then it might end differently.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Well, after several minutes of searching everywhere, I realized that there was simply nothing to this location, it was just filler. During the rest of my playthrough I encountered a lot of such filler locations.
im not sure there are filler locations. There is high probability that there is a crime or such to spawn there at one point. Which are unlocked based on your lvl/street cred/whatever.
Not to say those crime spots are not filler themselves but they do allow you to scratch that murderous itch and some provide notes hinting at something larger

Zayne

Scholar
At that point you get a choice to do something gay, I don't remember what exactly, but this disgusted me. The cop was a pretty cool dude, and I was at the end of the quest enjoying a beer with my new friend, why did they have to spoil it all by making him gay?
To be fair, the cop is not gay and if you decide to kiss him in that scene (because your character is gay), he'll turn you down.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The cop was a pretty cool dude, and I was at the end of the quest enjoying a beer with my new friend, why did they have to spoil it all by making him gay?
He is normal, but if you are gay, i.e. your character is gay, you have the option to make a pass at him, which he will reject. Panam will also reject you if you are a female and make a pass at her.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I remember very vividly the moment that made me see Cyberpunk for what it is, like waking up in the morning next to a hooker who is 20 years older and uglier than you thought the previous drunken night.

"this is CD Project Red, they must've put something here, they couldn't just have designed a pointless, empty location".

A lot of NPCs looked identical, I remember looking at a street and seing the same NPC copy pasted 3 times or so. In addition, they were just walking around pointlessly, there was no depth to it.
Yep, sounds like a CDPR game alright.

Vic

Savant
At that point you get a choice to do something gay, I don't remember what exactly, but this disgusted me. The cop was a pretty cool dude, and I was at the end of the quest enjoying a beer with my new friend, why did they have to spoil it all by making him gay?
To be fair, the cop is not gay and if you decide to kiss him in that scene (because your character is gay), he'll turn you down.
I did not know that, I was also not gonna try to kiss a man to find out.

They should've made it like in FNV and allow me to select a tag for my character instead of out of the blue hitting me in the face with it like a wet sausage.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

They should've made it like in FNV and allow me to select a tag for my character instead of out of the blue hitting me in the face with it like a wet sausage.
If you need guard rails not to be tempted by the gay... you're probably gay.

Vic

Savant

If you need guard rails not to be tempted by the gay... you're probably gay.
I wasn't tempted, but I assumed he was romanceable because the game gave me an option to (try) and kiss him, which would make him gay, but thankfully as the other posters pointed out that wasn't the case, what was the point of that dialogue option then? Iirc that was the only gay thing my character could do, it was just weird and grossed me out nonetheless.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I went to see what was added in Edgerunners. Correct me, if I am wrong, but... cloud saves and some bug repair.
Then, I went to see what is going to be added in the upcoming "massive" patch. Again, please do correct me if I'm wrong, I beg of you... but 14 minutes of video about groundbreaking changes, 12th minute, still talking about eyecandy.

Anyway, has this video been posted here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyoJ7onNrg

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Uh-oh, it looks like anime just saved the Polish economy and that means rusty_shackleford's browsing eBay for a B-29.

I went to see what was added in Edgerunners. Correct me, if I am wrong, but... cloud saves and some bug repair.
They also had the Wardrobe feature and a couple of bite-sized Gigs. You might eventually see a Police system update before the expansion drops, though I dunno what it would achieve without extensive overhauls to connected mechanics, there's barely any design to work with there. At this point the game is what it is and it's gonna stay that way, not sure what sort of magical patches people are hoping for.

P.S. Hey, where did the anime filter go? Bring it back, it was fun.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dunno why they insist so much with this pointless cosmetic fluff, it seems they are doing the bare minimum to keep the "Hey guys, we are totally legit now, trust us." marketing psy ops operation going on.

If they did: "Hey guys, on this expansion, NPC cars can drive on a straight line now and dont defy the laws of physics on sharp turns anymore, you dont control an one armed mutant anymore in third person and the game is capable of rendering 10+ NPCs with full Ai per kilometer square on the open world without bricking FPS." That would be far more convincing to me.

Seems they are keeping full ahead on their extra shiny Potemkin village model.

Gargaune

Magister
I dunno why they insist so much with this pointless cosmetic fluff, it seems they are doing the bare minimum to keep the "Hey guys, we are totally legit now, trust us." marketing psy ops operation going on.
Challenge Rating: :1/5:

If they did: "Hey guys, on this expansion, NPC cars can drive on a straight line now and dont defy the laws of physics on sharp turns anymore, you dont control an one armed mutant anymore in third person and the game is capable of rendering 10+ NPCs with full Ai per kilometer square on the open world without bricking FPS." That would be far more convincing to me.
Challenge Rating: :5/5:

Seems they are keeping full ahead on their extra shiny Potemkin village model.
Well, if the numbers in that video are anything to go by, it seems to be working. That's what I kept saying, the design flaws are real and significant but they're not what caused CBP to falter in 2020, it was the console performance and ensuing internet drama. Now that the animu's revitalised the game's marketing, the casuals are flocking back to check it out.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All romances sex scenes in this game are utter cringe because of the freely controllable 1st person camera and the unexpected ways in which light falls on the models' faces.

The most beleivable looking scene, albeit in a "movie kind of way" was the one with Meredith, paradoxically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom