Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How long until Striking Distance will be repurposed as PUPG support satellite and Glen Schofield will leave to form another studio?

If they patch it fast it might not tank their sales THAT much. 2/3 revenue will be from preorders and consoles so anyway they most likely at least recoup the cost of development without getting extra profit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So this sucks? Too bad, I liked the radio play thingy they did recently to promote this.

It's basically Dead Space on easy mode. But with a LOT of stuttering.

Pretty much every jump scare is ruined by the game freezing or jerking for a second or two before BLERGH something falls from the ceiling or crawls out of a vent.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It's nothing like Dead Space.
Have you seen the combat?

Yes, I've played a few hours.

It's literally a "spiritual successor" to Dead Space. It's Dead Space without the copyright. Even down to the health bar on the back of the guy's neck.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Skimmed the Gman review as well, it looks like a linear/"cinematic" action game, not some survival horror I've seen it billed as. With that art direction I think a more moody/meditative/puzzley feel, with spurts of action thrown in seems more fitting.. Probably just a case of not being for me. Is this game "A to B" or more of a "dungeon"? It's hard to tell
3,5 hours into the game, still in the early stages it would seem because new mechanics are still being introduced (not talking about new weapons but e.g. a sneak kill). Sometimes more enemies than one start to appear. And finally, three separate branches of corridors to explore, one of which is pretty far from the other two and could've been missed altogether.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not sure about this thing, here on Brazilland this thing is 300,00 in brazillian monopoly money, so, not gonna test it myself and also too lazy to waste time pirating it, any reason to not believe this is just a mediocre Dead Space clone surfing on the reputation of that game and with little merit on itself? That seems the unanimous conclusion from the reviews. Are they retards as usual or is there any merit on this beyond gaytracing?

Tyrr

Liturgist

More reason to believe that Glen Schofield is a fluke and that the real brains behind Dead Space were other people.

oYoSSo8.jpg

I bet he is a Sony fanboy. Loves games with 50% cutscenes.
How many cutscenes had Dead Space?

Have you tried the stutter fix, niggers?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2896383122

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CallistoProtocol\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Paste these lines into the bottom of Engine.ini in config directory

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

It doesn't work, FYI. I have the graphics settings on minimum, DX11, and I have that modification made to the ini config. It still frequently experiences massive framerate drops. With a 3080Ti GPU and TR1950X CPU.

Moral of the story, don't use commercial engines, make an in-house engine and use that. Dead Space 1 & 2 used an in-house engine that Visceral made for their sports games, it looked great, Dead Space and particularly Dead Space 2 still look good to this day, and ran smooth without issues even when they came out. This is not the first Unreal Engine game to have this sort of problem, it's from their (Epic's) niggerlicious rendering code where they're constantly doing shader compilation and rebuilding pipeline state in the middle of gameplay because they think it's somehow an optimization even though it ruins the user's experience.

EDIT: also, I hold to my opinion that centring the game on melee combat was a bad idea.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Have you tried the stutter fix, niggers?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2896383122

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CallistoProtocol\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Paste these lines into the bottom of Engine.ini in config directory

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

It doesn't work, FYI. I have the graphics settings on minimum, DX11, and I have that modification made to the ini config. It still frequently experiences massive framerate drops. With a 3080Ti GPU and TR1950X CPU.

Moral of the story, don't use commercial engines, make an in-house engine and use that. Dead Space 1 & 2 used an in-house engine that Visceral made for their sports games, it looked great, Dead Space and particularly Dead Space 2 still look good to this day, and ran smooth without issues even when they came out. This is not the first Unreal Engine game to have this sort of problem, it's from their (Epic's) niggerlicious rendering code where they're constantly doing shader compilation and rebuilding pipeline state in the middle of gameplay because they think it's somehow an optimization even though it ruins the user's experience.

EDIT: also, I hold to my opinion that centring the game on melee combat was a bad idea.
It did help in my case. Then again i have 1080ti and play in dx11 and performance wasnt that bad to begin with. Just the stutters were.

Agree about UE.

Every game should be 50% cutscenes 30% qte 20% dark souls impersonation. Like the new God of Soy: Niggnarok.
Where does that leave room for microtransactions?

You add them on top to make it true 110% AAA experience.

lightbane

Arcane
The final boss' fight has been leaked. It fights like a regular enemy seemingly, just more HP. Not even special QTEs as far I can see. Compare this to the gamey but spectacular final boss of Derp Space 1 done 15 years ago.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The final boss' fight has been leaked. It fights like a regular enemy seemingly, just more HP. Not even special QTEs as far I can see. Compare this to the gamey but spectacular final boss of Derp Space 1 done 15 years ago.
The final boss of Dead Space 1 was spectacular !?

Modron

Arcane
spec·ta·cle ˈspek-ti-kəl

a
: something exhibited to view as unusual, notable, or entertaining
especially : an eye-catching or dramatic public display

b
: an object of curiosity or contempt
made a spectacle of herself
Yes? Spectacles can run the entire spectrum of quality from bad to good.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jesus, if I played 13hs of that shit combat just to discover the Illuminati want to turn people into walking testicles because reasons, I would be depressed.

Last edited:
Yeah, concepts like optimization are just forgotten arcane knowledge now. It's pathetic how many crutches these idiots have, and yet are unable to come up with a simple compression routine. Everything with game development is completely wrong, from ludicrous 100gb install sizes to piddling framerates on ridiculous hardware for games that are tired rehashes of better (popamole) shit that came out 15 years ago and ran on toasters like the PS3.

But consoomers gonna consoom.

The patch has gotten rid of the majority of the stuttering, although it still does happen on occasion.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not sure about this thing, here on Brazilland this thing is 300,00 in brazillian monopoly money, so, not gonna test it myself and also too lazy to waste time pirating it, any reason to not believe this is just a mediocre Dead Space clone surfing on the reputation of that game and with little merit on itself? That seems the unanimous conclusion from the reviews. Are they retards as usual or is there any merit on this beyond gaytracing?

It's just barely playable with gaytracing turned OFF. So I wouldn't even consider that a difference.

I don't know what the fuss with Dead Space was about (apart of the HUD, which never had caught on, sadly). It got repetitive real fast. It was loud, flashy, and a little dumb too. Never finished it admittedly. Technically, this new one looks impressive. But: This highlights even more what I thought about Dead Space: Dead Space is what System Shock would have been like had Michael Bay directed the official movie. And then afterwards a studio equally in love with big explosions and bigger budgets had turned that movie into another game. Voila, Dead Space.

It's uncanny now how much this new game seems to mimic dumb big budget horror movies. That low-poly tech still getting some in the way in 2008ish has been smashed as severely as the character's head whenever he dies. And it's not as if big budget and horror had failed more recently. See Alien:Isolation and even Resident Evil 7 apart of its dumb last section.

Pre-order bonus death animations
:lol: :lol: :lol:
They still have to deliver a few DLC apparently to match the deathversity in this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom