Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik

Ok, bros. Technical issues is one thing, but this...

What are they thinking? it's a single-player game. It's their fault for releasing a broken exploitable mess.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
That's definitely a new one lol. Like you're going to ban someone from your single-player game because you suck at QA Testing? ok. "don't exploit the game and make us look bad or else we'll ban you and potentially sue you as well"
This industry is just a nightmare.

The level design for this game makes a lot of sense now, its just one linear corridor after another. Makes sense if you won't let anyone have fun.

IIRC supposedly DS was meant to be System Shock 3 before it got repurposed into a console game.
Another early influence confirmed either way was "Resident Evil 4". A game equally as dumb (but not taking itself dead serious whilst being so, at least). It has taken big budget gaming horror years to recover from that. And in retrospect, even Alien:Isolation was a miracle that barely made it through the initial pitch -- 15 years ago, when costs were much smaller.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The graphics are pretty good though.

You ever wonder how great the world would be if games/movies/show with great art design were also good in other departments?

Ash

Arcane
Resident Evil 4 is not dumb. It's designed relatively competently and intelligently. The story is dumb (and it doesn't give a fuck which I respect). Notice the difference.

I don't see its influence on Horror after the fact either. Dead Space is the only other game anything like it. Resident Evil the series declined, but that's the only measurable influence. Horror mostly became walking/jumpscare simulators because retard streamers and their child army viewers popularised it, and furthermore nobody even tried to significantly innovate the survival horror in about a decade or more...until Darkwood at least but that's indie.

Good horror games just don't really exist anymore, and that is for one sole reason: difficulty is arguably must, which is the antithesis of the modern industry. The only worthwhile AA or AAA horror I can list post-Dead Space is the Souls games & Dying Light, which are barely horror. And don't say Alien Isolation unless you want to reveal yourself as a bitch.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 4 is not dumb. It's designed relatively competently and intelligently. The story is dumb (and it doesn't give a fuck which I respect). Notice the difference.
Admittedly, unlike Dead Space, it has moments of brilliance. The QTEs naturally aren't one of them. Such as arriving in the village and getting mobbed. It's intense, also thanks to the fairly interactive environments and interesting spaces, with enemies smashing/crawling through the windows, etc. Whereas Dead Space is just another monster out of the closet after another (and the very first boss or thereabouts, also reoccuring during the game, being just a bigger and fatter version of that closet monster). Even Doom³ did that better.

You're right in that it didn't much influence horror game design (outside of subsequent Resident Evil games and Dead Space), but RE4's influence in popamole over-the-shoulder console action games was really overwhelming. Everything from Gears of War to Sony's recent God of War owes a lot to it.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Admittedly, unlike Dead Space, it has moments of brilliance. The QTEs naturally aren't one of them. Such as arriving in the village and getting mobbed. It's intense, also thanks to the fairly interactive environments and interesting spaces, with enemies smashing/crawling through the windows, etc. Whereas Dead Space is just another monster out of the closet after another (and the very first boss or thereabouts, also reoccuring during the game, being just a bigger and fatter version of that closet monster). Even Doom³ did that better.
Dead Space also has its moments/value. It lacks RE4's vast enemy variety and level design, but it has arguably better core combat mechanics (move while aiming, stasis & kenesis). It has some cool setups from time to time, like later Zero G segments. The atmosphere and immersion is also quite nice. Horror being a genre/setting I appreciate those two in more than any other genre/setting.

Dead Space isn't a masterpiece yet it is >>> Doom3 and most other games of the past 18 or whatever years. Sorry. Doom3 does not have much going for it at all. Not terrible, but shouldn't make any history books except as an example of when game design was tossed to the side in favor of graphics.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Building upon the idea of diegetic user interface, it seems that the camera is now directly embedded in your character's lumbar spine. Much immersion and closeness to the character will be felt by all. In 5 years we can do away with having shoulders in over the shoulder games, you'll just be a forehead with a gun.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dunno guys game's kinda OK if you got some Dead Space itch. A bit too much melee focused for me but got the shotgun and game got better.
Main problems are stutters (1 time it became like a photonovel...) and shitty auto save system. You want to discover a bit and died because some bullshit enemy replacement? Boohoo go 5 min and 3 air vents back.
Graphics are cool but there are problems with light effects, I normally don't detect things like this but some flashlight effects have square edges...
Also can't really understand using 2nd grade actors for games. Just use nobodies and spend less money?

Edit: Also I got the game for like 5 or 6 dollars thanks to their fuck up on pricing, so jokes on them I guess.

Ash

Arcane
You're right in that it didn't much influence horror game design, but RE4's influence in popamole over-the-shoulder console action games was really overwhelming. Everything from Gears of War to Sony's recent God of War owes a lot to it.
They owe...the camera perspective. That's it. Camera perspective doesn't dictate complete garbage game design. It dictates a few things but not the entire quality of a game experience. Those games being disgustingly terrible is their own making. If they actually took after RE4 in more than camera perspective, I might enjoy them. But alas Gears of War is EPIC trash for the lowest minds of society and God of War is soy boy shit for people that don't actually play video games. Or do but again, lesser minds.

I don't see its influence on Horror after the fact either. Dead Space is the only other game anything like it.

There are also The Evil Within games, which I didn't find great but enjoyable enough. But yeah, can't remember any other games of that sort right now.

Ash

Arcane
Oh yeah. though it should be noted that those were by the director of RE4 himself, so where's that alleged influence again? deadly premonition allegedly? That was never to be a good game, the director doesn't make games, but only added awfully implemented RE4-style shooting because otherwise there would be no actual game, just a vibe broooo. there still isn't a game really because there is zero effort & thought behind the design, but hey, you can shoot stuff.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
why are the survival horror threads always filled to the brim with clueless motherfucks like Ash and others of his ilk?

nigger wouldnt know good survival horror from pixelhunt and candy crush if u put a gun to his head

Ash

Arcane
Dude you are terribly mediocre. imagine being "blown away" by modern half-measures. And for a "huge survival horror nerd" you have a very broad definition of what a survival horror is to boot.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Well this game turned out disastrous. And something even worse happened, Morgoth was right.

the combat is built around the melee, despite the fact you only make use of a single melee weapon through the whole game
And yet I was told that there would be a shiv, crowbar and stun baton, what happened there exactly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom