Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

Black

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get what is "survival" horror any more. It can't be about not dying because then most games would be of the "survival" subgenre.

Ash

Arcane
ciox Mind elaborating why it sucks? I mean I believe I consider you a trustworthy opinion by default, but I am still curious nonetheless.

fork

Well this game turned out disastrous. And something even worse happened, Morgoth was right.

the combat is built around the melee, despite the fact you only make use of a single melee weapon through the whole game
And yet I was told that there would be a shiv, crowbar and stun baton, what happened there exactly.

Clownworld happened.
There's only shit left.

ciox

Liturgist
ciox Mind elaborating why it sucks? I mean I believe I consider you a trustworthy opinion by default, but I am still curious nonetheless.
I haven't bought it yet since the release is going so badly, but the criticisms over performance, combat and game content (enemy variety, weapons and tools) all seem legit.
Something that might not be legit is the linearity/exploration criticism, since I've seen players claim there are multiple paths and it's apparently even possible to miss weapons, which is pretty rare for modern games.

Ash

Arcane
Disappointing but expected really. Shit is the new normal of the past two decades as the fork man says.

Dead Space isn't a masterpiece yet it is >>> Doom3 and most other games of the past 18 or whatever years. Sorry. Doom3 does not have much going for it at all. Not terrible, but shouldn't make any history books except as an example of when game design was tossed to the side in favor of graphics
Re: Doom³, I was talking the specific boss monster cliche and how it's handled. One of the first and actually reoccuring bosses in Dead Space is just a big fat variation of the main enemies. Literally the Big Bad, like in the uninspired horror movies Dead Space mimics so much.

Doom³ has those too, but they don't reoccur multiple times throughout the game (adding to the general repetitiveness Dead Space has in spades anyway), plus the very first isn't just that Big Bad of the little bad. The final boss in Callista Protocol
seems rather fitting to the general idea these guys have of a horror game and their imagination.

Dead Space ain't a bad game (I doubt Callisto Protocol is one) and its approach to its HUD should have become action game industry standard. But it's all fairly vanilla and the dumb and loud blockbusting version of System Shock. Glen Schofield's on record as saying that Carpenter and "The Thing" had been a big influence on his. I'd like to see that reflected in a game outside a few gory FX -- but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
"Melee focused" and "horror" combined always takes the tension out of any of these scenarios for me.
What exactly am I meant to be afraid of, the grotesque monstrosity entering my boxing ring? It moving away from me in order to stop me from having fun playing whackamole?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
People are grossly over-reacting to how u need melee. u dont. I shoot my way through the game just fine, and theres plenty of weapons and the GRP arm thing u can use too.
Melee is cool enough when monsters get close before u shoot them, and if u cant figure out how to do that, ur a fkin moron, its easy.

Graphics are top notch.

The story is allright, nothing earthshattering, but its survival horror in space, thats what dead space was, and it fits the bill.
None of the space games in the past long time have been very complex, and they dont need to be outright. its good clean fun playthrough.

But most newer games, arent really survival horror as they are a mix of surviva and combat. alien isolation is a true survival horror, and resident evil games ofc.
Scarce ressources, big enemies u need to figure out, puzzles etc.

Most people went into this game thinking its basically Dead space 4, and they are right. and the game is quite fun, dont expect much more. Dead space 1+2 werent exactly groundbreaking either, but they were cool wellmade and scary games.

Nobody was expecting this to be a masterpiece work of art and pioneering the genre forward, it's a good fun romp in horror space, just like the dead space franchise. and thats all I signed up for, and I got it.
Could it have been better? sure, but who cares

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The seventh hour of the game. I'm already past the initial "it's something new, let's investigate further" sensation with regard to melee fighting, which mostly transformed into a dismal, frustrating experience.
I'm at a loss for words when it comes to fighting three swift monsters when you practically can't move at all—you can either hit or avoid, which would move you 30 degrees to the left or right.
Really, it's a shame because there are other combat features that are enjoyable, such using telekinesis and environmental dangers to the point of "one grab, one kill."
Or the fact that shooting arms or legs actually kills creatures more quickly than simply shooting at them or striking them with a batton, or the fact that a well-timed heavy hit can send the creature crashing into the enormous, quickly rotating cogs, killing it instantly.

Sadly, the game has indeed been linear to a bigger extent so far :( There is an optional corridor there and a hidden room behind a poorly visible tunel there, but I have to constantly remind myself that I am playing something *else*, because by anticipating another level design along the lines of System Shock 2, Prey, Dead Space, etc., I can only make the so-so feeling worse.

The game's atmosphere, which is quite good, is what rescues it for me. To be honest, the unimaginative creatures made it a little strained (zombies with boils and pustules were new and popular in the late 1980s), but it was still thick.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Glen Schofield's on record as saying that Carpenter and "The Thing" had been a big influence on his. I'd like to see that reflected in a game outside a few gory FX -- but I'm not holding my breath.
4d9a8f59c8b3037b4076b69de240e727.jpg

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't understand why console games use a checkpoint system which was a necessary limitation of past consoles due to the lack of hard drives. With the advent of hard drives on consoles there is no reason why a game should have a checkpoint system, even one as poorly implemented as this one.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Nobody was expecting this to be a masterpiece work of art and pioneering the genre forward
Not that I disagree entirely, but why shouldn't people have high expectations?

Having low expectations and treating games as products to be sold to the consoomers, instead of artists creating interesting things, is what led us to this sad state in the industry.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The seventh hour of the game. I'm already past the initial "it's something new, let's investigate further" sensation with regard to melee fighting, which mostly transformed into a dismal, frustrating experience.
I'm at a loss for words when it comes to fighting three swift monsters when you practically can't move at all—you can either hit or avoid, which would move you 30 degrees to the left or right.
Really, it's a shame because there are other combat features that are enjoyable, such using telekinesis and environmental dangers to the point of "one grab, one kill."
Or the fact that shooting arms or legs actually kills creatures more quickly than simply shooting at them or striking them with a batton, or the fact that a well-timed heavy hit can send the creature crashing into the enormous, quickly rotating cogs, killing it instantly.

Sadly, the game has indeed been linear to a bigger extent so far :( There is an optional corridor there and a hidden room behind a poorly visible tunel there, but I have to constantly remind myself that I am playing something *else*, because by anticipating another level design along the lines of System Shock 2, Prey, Dead Space, etc., I can only make the so-so feeling worse.

The game's atmosphere, which is quite good, is what rescues it for me. To be honest, the unimaginative creatures made it a little strained (zombies with boils and pustules were new and popular in the late 1980s), but it was still thick.
I read this thinking I was in the Darktide thread

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Well this game turned out disastrous. And something even worse happened, Morgoth was right.
Fuck no. Everyone was crying big baby tears over stuttering on their poorfag rigs and then The Glen makes that shit run on their souped up Casio pocket calculators. When they can't whine no more over that shit what do people do? Instead of APOLOGIZING like they should they fucking start whining over the next thing.

ciox

Liturgist
I don't understand why console games use a checkpoint system which was a necessary limitation of past consoles due to the lack of hard drives. With the advent of hard drives on consoles there is no reason why a game should have a checkpoint system, even one as poorly implemented as this one.
Because if you don't have the right team, trying to implement manual saves leads to a clusterfuck similar to Underworld Ascendant's "save system", where not everything is saved and restored.

https://www.gosunoob.com/guides/callisto-protocol-manual-save/

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Because if you don't have the right team, trying to implement manual saves leads to a clusterfuck similar to Underworld Ascendant's "save system", where not everything is saved and restored.

https://www.gosunoob.com/guides/callisto-protocol-manual-save/

Oh that's bullshit. Manual saves have been a thing since the 1980s. Back then it was onto floppies. It's just pure fucking laziness on the part of the developer to not have it now.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Bitch, do you know what stakes are? Savescummer casuals who quicksave before turning every corner or doing a roll are a cancer on gaming. It's like you tell the DM to ignore the results until you get it right. What kind of homo does that shit?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I'm a bestiality faggot.

Oh so you have to resort to ad homs like a retard. Welcome to the stupid list you bestiality faggot.

Fuck no. Everyone was crying big baby tears over stuttering on their poorfag rigs and then The Glen makes that shit run on their souped up Casio pocket calculators. When they can't whine no more over that shit what do people do? Instead of APOLOGIZING like they should they fucking start whining over the next thing.
It ran like shit even on powerful computers. I have a 3080Ti and was getting constant stuttering and framerate drops. If you claim a 3080Ti is a low end or poorfag card, that would make you trolling or retarded, because that's a card that will run basically any game that currently exists without issues, unless the developers / engine do something retarded like doing just-in-time shader & pipeline setup.

Even with the stuttering issues mostly fixed (they're still present, just alleviated) we're left with the problem of that they've tried to make a horror game but made it melee focused. Which, as I've pointed out earlier in the thread well before the game came out, is a bad design decision. My opinion on this was that it takes away from the horror aspect (because there is no longer, as in Dead Space, the idea that any of these enemies can physically overpower you), but as it turns out, not only does it do that, but it's also poorly implemented and not fun.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I'm a bestiality faggot.

Oh so you have to resort to ad homs like a retard. Welcome to the stupid list you bestiality faggot.
Lil bitch goes and hides when someone exposes him for being a savescummer who can't handle pressure ackackackackack

Glen Schofield's on record as saying that Carpenter and "The Thing" had been a big influence on his. I'd like to see that reflected in a game outside a few gory FX -- but I'm not holding my breath.
4d9a8f59c8b3037b4076b69de240e727.jpg

I played the beginning of The Thing game on PS2, and it was pretty entertaining IIRC.

Really wish Carpenter or some other talented director would create a legitimate sequel film, where the story begins as MacReady and Childs finish a bottle of scotch around the dying fire.

Instead, a couple years ago Blumhouse announced a remake in the works based on the extended John W. Campbell novella, Frozen Hell.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I played the beginning of The Thing game on PS2, and it was pretty entertaining IIRC.
That game was amateur hour all around, janky as fuck cutscenes and they oversold the paranoia angle hard before release. Pretty good for what it was tho. Can count the games that make you paranoid about allies on one hand.
Really wish Carpenter or some other talented director would create a legitimate sequel film, where the story begins as MacReady and Childs drink scotch around the dying fire.
Carpenter is a fucking ancient lich who hasn't directed a good film since 1996. They would have to roll that boomer up on set with a wheelchair and both Kurt Russell and Keith David looking like elderly home patients would make the continuation be jarring as fuck. Like that Indiana Jones flick they're making. The script would ruin the ending cuz the paranoia there was why it was so good. So when Keith David sprouts tentacles and shit when they get rescued that is just gonna be boring.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Carpenter is a fucking ancient lich who hasn't directed a good film since 1996.
*since 2005.
He did a pretty good short film 'Cigarette burns' as a part of Masters of Horror anthology.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom