Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SW:TOR = WoW Killer, now confirmed

Source
Right now, this is the most exciting game in development. As the aforementioned Force-choked trooper slides to the floor, clutching his chest, a horrifying truth becomes apparent: The Old Republic is a credible World of Warcraft killer.
There you have it folks, SW:TOR = WoW killer :!:

They want to make an MMORPG that encapsulates the essence of their single-player games: a true online sequel to classics like Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur’s Gate. They want to make a game with proficient, modern production values, fully voiced cutscenes and multi-threaded conversations. They want to reduce the grind – removing the tedious fetch 10 and kill 20 quests that plague the genre – and tie everything into their story. They want to introduce genuine consequence, giving parties of players the kind of moral choices their single-player games have become famous for. Except that in this world, there are no save games, no chances to go back and see what might have happened.
Basically they are implementing a SinglePlayer RPG into a MMORPG and the media celebrates the innovashun! Hold on a sec, first the media told everybody how awesome WoW is, regardless of stupid "kill x monsters" quests. Now they say how shitty WoW is in comparison of SW:TOR because of "kill x monsters" quests.
“I’m sorry for my failures,” says the captain. “Just please, respect my crew.” At this point, we’re given a choice: kill him and promote his first officer, or let him live.
:lol: Choices and Consequences, Bioware style. This is my guess: Kill him, earn evil points. Let him live, earn good points. If enough evil points/good points -> Sith/Jedi.
Each of the six player classes will have an entirely unique, entirely separate story and series of quests. If you were to play each class in turn, you wouldn’t repeat a single mission, or see a repeated location.
How deep.
Each of those campaigns is fully voiced, with multiple paths (and every dialogue choice is spoken. This is probably the largest voiceover project the games industry has ever undertaken). It’s a big, big, big game.
Big, big, big shit.
The bounty-hunter, the only other class so far revealed, can use the kinds of tools we seldom see in MMOs: a jetpack and a flamethrower.
Cool.
"Look at Team Fortress 2... You have to keep bringing out content, or the game disappears after the first weeks.”
Mhh one might wonder why ...
At the end of the presentation, the point is made that what BioWare have shown is nothing like the MMOs we know of today. Where are the PvP arenas? Or the large, 25+ player raids? Or auction houses? Or, hey, space-combat? Vogel raises an eyebrow. “Oh, we have all that too. We’re just going to wait a little bit to show you that.” That’s a promise that seems too good to be true. Stay tuned. The Old Republic is going to be huge.
And here is where i stopped reading, ok it was the last sentence of the article (duh).

So in short: Take a famous license, make a singleplayer RPG out of it, add a COOP mode but call it MMORPG and request a monthly fee.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Anyone who thinks this will kill WOW is simply wrong. Period.

Silellak

Cipher
At this point, the only thing that could kill WoW, is WoW. Blizzard would have to make a number of extremely stupid, back-to-back decisions to gradually drive away their own fanbase. However, they play it so safe with that bland piece of shit that such an event occurring is highly unlikely.

Also, insert the requisite "fuck Bioware for making KotoR3 a fucking MMO rather than properly finishing the original story".

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
At the end of the presentation, the point is made that what BioWare have shown is nothing like the MMOs we know of today. Where are the PvP arenas? Or the large, 25+ player raids? Or auction houses? Or, hey, space-combat? Vogel raises an eyebrow. “Oh, we have all that too. We’re just going to wait a little bit to show you that.” That’s a promise that seems too good to be true. Stay tuned. The Old Republic is going to be huge.
25 jedi raids. Imagine all the lightsabers, that'll look like some whiny concert.

And lots of ambitious blabla, each class different areas and different quests? Seriously? How are they going to pay for that? How are they going to afford that? That means either little content for each class or the inevitable recycling in patch 1.1 (For a more immersive and epic experience, we now allow each class to do every quest!)

But yes, this is going to kill WoW, just like Age of Conan, Warhammer online and all other mumorpegers before it.

Mech

Cipher
"Hold on a sec, first the media told everybody how awesome WoW is, regardless of stupid "kill x monsters" quests. Now they say how shitty WoW is in comparison of SW:TOR because of "kill x monsters" quests. "

I think you need to learn how to read English before making new threads. I suggest Rosetta Stone.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If someone thinks they are going to steal the entirety or even a couple of millions of WoWs userbase, they are dead wrong. If they want their game to succeed, they need to find a way to engage singleplayer gamers instead of the quite small group of constantly flipflopping hardcore gamers that are bored with the last game they tried. That's what Blizzard did with WoW. To be fair, they already had a huge online community through their other games though. What bioware needs to do make this game a financial success is to engage their already huge fanbase (they hit the 4 million forum accounts mark a couple of years ago if I remember correctly), and then get them hooked with addicting mechanics, just like Blizzard did with WoW. They also have the Star Wars fanbase to tap into, which is pretty huge. If they do it "right", it could very well rival WoW in subs, but I think a majority of those subs are going to be bioware fans/star wars fans, not hardcore MMO fans/WoW players.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If Bioware thinks they can lure MMO players by story-driven and full VO'ed cutscenes crap, then they are wrong.
MMO players just want to waste time beating things dead, crunching numbers and items, and participate in social dramas.

Fuck Bio for not making Kotor 3 instead.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
This is a pretty huge IP and bioware has its own fanbase by now. I think I'll like this a lot more than other mmorpgs.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Once again, people are fucking clueless as to how MMO markets work.

The reason nothing has Killed WoW is that nothing is in DIRECT cempetition with it. There is no other Warcraft based MMO out there, so WoW has no competition. The Other MMOs that claimed to be WoW Killers never came close Because they were from entirely different fanbases.

This new MMO will have minimal Impact on WoW. It will, however, be the Coup de Grace to Star Wars Galaxies.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I think WoW is starting to die though, at least as far as subscription numbers are concerned. The last report on WoW's subscription base was 11.5 million dated six months ago. I thought they would have hit the 12 million mark by now but not a peep is coming out from Blizzard.

hoochimama

Liturgist
It sounds like their marketing so far is trying to attract people who haven't liked mmorpgs.

Fully voiced dialogs, some amount of quest/storyline branching, npc companions, a lesser amount of grinding, completely different quests and storylines for each of the six classes, "the same experience as an epic single player rpg if you want to", sounds good to me.

If there's some truth to their claims then it means the game will be lacking in content hours compared to other grindathon voiceoverless mmorpgs, there's just no way they can churn out enough interesting content with the level of quality they claim to keep the mmorpgers happy, those guys play 8 hours a day and have to always move on to the next quest, the next grind in order to be higher lv than everyone else.

The end of the storyline/quest per player character would happen too soon compared to other mmorpgers, they've got to use something else for the game's longevity, battleground-style gameplay?

I hope they're not expecting replayability through different storylines for each class to make up for it, mmorpgs are still mostly about attachment to one single character, a bit of a risk.

More likely it's just lies.

Edit from the article: “We have to ignore the top of the hardcore,” says Walton, talking about those players who will simply ignore the story and min-max their way to the top end of the game. “We need to make a game that is accessible to the Star Wars fan, and the BioWare fan. Because really BioWare is a company that is about making a great RPG experience, not about making games for a hardcore MMO audience.”

So that's a big fuck you to grinding mmorpgers, I'm interested.

made

Arcane
Think if anything can come close to WoW's popularity it's this. The IP and Bio are big enough that even people who normally won't touch MMOs might play it, esp if they make it multiplatform. This won't be a niche game like other WoW killers - AoC and such.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
And yet there's already been a Star Wars MMO, and we saw how that turned out.

hoodoo said:

I couldn't stand to watch the LARPing Jedi fags, but a fully voiced MMO seems really pointless. Don't most MMO players like to rush through the game as quickly as possible in order to levelup/get loot? How many ADD MMORPG'ers are going to sit still to listen to voiced dialogue?

And I've never been a fan of Star Wars that isn't based around the original trilogy. What the fuck is the point in making a Star Wars game if you're going to set it so far in the past that the world doesn't even resemble Star Wars anymore? (except for light sabers, woo)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Talby said:
I couldn't stand to watch the LARPing Jedi fags, but a fully voiced MMO seems really pointless. Don't most MMO players like to rush through the game as quickly as possible in order to levelup/get loot? How many ADD MMORPG'ers are going to sit still to listen to voiced dialogue?
Yep, and most parties are connected via teamspeak, ventrillo or skype. They just want to get the quest-pointer and go grind some more.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DarkSign said:
Everyone who says that there can't be a WoW killer sounds just like the re-re's that said EQ could never be toppled.

Every MMO has a shelf-life. Every one.
Yep, but do you seriously think it will be toppled now and by TOR?

I'm surprized WOW is still around. But I'm probably too affected by marketing-propaganda that says that pc-exclusives without next-gen graphics don't have a market. But, WOW is still around, still gets expansions and I doubt there'll be a similarly successful mmo in the next 3 years. If ever again. I think WOW will become smaller and smaller over the years but no mmo short of virtual reality will come close to WOW's peak time success in the foreseeable future. And the next big thing will probably also be from Blizzard. Just assumptions of course ;)

DarkSign

Erudite
Well, I'll color you surprised when it happens.

I'm not saying it's going to be within the next 2 or 3 years or that WoW doesnt still have legs.

I'm tempted to say there's a difference in EQ and WoW ... that Blizzard is willing to pump more money into keeping it afloat than Sony ever did, but they're still trying to keep EQ going so that distinction doesn't work.

Every MMO grandaddy has another game push them off the top of the hill eventually.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DarkSign said:
Everyone who says that there can't be a WoW killer sounds just like the re-re's that said EQ could never be toppled.

Every MMO has a shelf-life. Every one.

Is EQ dead?

Nope, it's not.

The reason no other game is going to "kill" WoW is that no other game is going to be a Warcraft MMO done by Blizzard, as someone else stated above. Except for WoW 2.

Sure they can strive to match its popularity, but I have a hard time seeing anything in the foreseeable future giving Blizzard competition for its fanbase.

DarkSign

Erudite
I never said it was dead. Killer, in this discussion, means king-of-the-hill grabber. WoW obviously did that.

I'll agree there's nothing right now that will beat WoW, but if you say it'll never happen or can never happen...you're a 4chan poster.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
DarkSign said:
I never said it was dead. Killer, in this discussion, means king-of-the-hill grabber. WoW obviously did that.

I'll agree there's nothing right now that will beat WoW, but if you say it'll never happen or can never happen...you're a 4chan poster.

Nothing presenting itself as a standard MMORPG (the usual PvE, PvP, crafting and guilds-formula) can beat WoW, which is why ToR might be able to do it. But WoW will still be an unbelievably huge cash-cow for Blizzard, for at least a couple of years into the future, probably longer, no matter how much success any other game might garner.

Also, I sometimes post on 4chan.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
As others have said, unless Blzzard manages to critically destroy their own game, I have a hard time imagining people who've paid to play WoW for all these years are suddenly going to change heart and move towards ToR or any other MMO. That's because I find it hard to believe that ToR will not be a grindfest like any other MMO in the end, voiced or not.

DarkSign

Erudite
It's amazing that you're saying everything that the EQ guys said years ago and were proven wrong.

You can say it's like comparing apples and oranges, but the underlying issues aren't. People invested years in EQ..some decades over the 2 games. Money was poured into making EQ better...just as it has with WoW. People lose interest or like the new shiny or just grow up / life happens.

You can say WoW will never stop being king, but that's incredibly short-sighted.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Talby said:
Don't most MMO players like to rush through the game as quickly as possible in order to levelup/get loot? How many ADD MMORPG'ers are going to sit still to listen to voiced dialogue?

And so far they've claimed the game isn't being made for those "ADD MMORPG'ers", what's the problem?

Talby said:
And I've never been a fan of Star Wars that isn't based around the original trilogy.

But millions of KOTOR fans are, and chances are you're in the minority.

Talby said:
What the fuck is the point in making a Star Wars game if you're going to set it so far in the past

Are you exagerating or you really can't see the pros to something you don't like?

Talby said:
that the world doesn't even resemble Star Wars anymore? (except for light sabers, woo)

Are you joking? If anything the general complaint is that the old republic setting as it was portrayed in kotor1&2 was too similar to the one in the movies for fan service so that it didn't really feel like it was set 4000 years before.

Or are you implying that Star Wars is just about the Skywalker family history?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom