Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A question of nudity

Data4

Arcane
It was revealed in a beta preview of Mortal Online that the game features full frontal nudity.

Mortal Online, for those who haven't been following it, is a MMO n development by a small Swedish developer called Star Vault. It's to be a free-form, open PvP sandbox game played from a locked first person perspective. It's suggested to be in the spirit of Ultima Online, much like Darkfall was, but Star Vault has the added benefit of seeing what an abject failure DF is turning out to be and still have time to learn from Aventurine's mistakes.

Now, with that out the way, the revelation of full frontal nudity has taken center stage in various discussion forums. MMORPG.com and the official forums are the two main ones I've looked at. You'll find in both that the longest threads are usually ones about the nudity. From what I can see, three distinct camps have developed. 1 wants the nudity, 1 doesn't, and 1 wants there to be a toggle to leave it up to the individual player to determine what they want to see on screen.

The pro-nudity group claims that it adds realism and immersion to the game, though I fail to see the reasoning. When pressed, non-sequitirs like "because you're born naked!" seem to get tossed up. Now, the more honest among this group state in no uncertain terms that they'll use the feature to truly teabag their victims (a commentary on the state of MMO communities, to be sure) and/or run around naked for the lulz. As much as I think those types should be shot on sight, I have to respect their honesty. Their peers are too stuck in their own twisted idea of progressiveness that anyone with anything negative to say about in-game nudity is clearly a puritan American with self image hangups. They also seem to be opposed to the group calling for a toggle, yet can't give a reasonable explanation why, other than to throw up the above insults.

The second group is comprised of people who either don't want to see it due to the ick factor of seeing someone else's dick, live in Australia, which seems to be the most pro-censorship country on the planet, or who simply feel that such a thing has no place in the game and adds nothing to the gameplay. There is, of course, the "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" group.

The third group, which I consider myself in, is the one that figures nudity is no big deal, but the player should be given an game setting that allows them to turn the feature on and off, much like other options you get, like "Show Helm", or "Show Cloak". This way, the teabagger, naked zerglings can do their thing, the ones who don't want to see nudity can shut it off, and everyone can be happy.

So, the reason why I make this post is to ask what you guys think of nudity in an MMO about swords, sorcery and loot acquisition. What group do you belong to and why?

Discuss...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I would certainly accept nudity in a game where it is realistic. Considering that this is an MMO, realism is out the window, so really, what's the point?

DriacKin

Arbiter
I would be against it. Too many assholes would abuse it and ruin the game for the rest of the people.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
old republic is doing fully voiced and mortals doing full frontal nudity, just gimmicks in my opinion.

Data4

Arcane
DraQ said:
I expect a lot of bewthurtz to ensue.
Good.

Also, someone should make a game set in ancient Greece or some other place where nudity!=taboo.

I WANT PEDERASTY FOR TEH REEEEAAAALIZM!!!1111oneone

Suicidal

Arcane
Data4 said:
... Star Vault has the added benefit of seeing what an abject failure DF is turning out to be and still have time to learn from Aventurine's mistakes...

What DID happen with Darkfall anyway? I was very excited about the game for a time but then I stopped caring and after some time I've started seeing people making topics about how it was released and the servers were broken or some shit.

Can someone tell me what happened with it? TL;DR version please.

Data4

Arcane
Suicidal said:
Data4 said:
... Star Vault has the added benefit of seeing what an abject failure DF is turning out to be and still have time to learn from Aventurine's mistakes...

What DID happen with Darkfall anyway? I was very excited about the game for a time but then I stopped caring and after some time I've started seeing people making topics about how it was released and the servers were broken or some shit.

Easy to hack and exploit, population of shit-flinging manboons, pretty much. The game is basically Unreal Tournament with swords, and apparantly not even all that good at that. I haven't played it myself, so this is just from reading about it. There are a few people here who do have it. Check the other Darkfall threads here.

Suicidal

Arcane
Data4 said:
Suicidal said:
Data4 said:

Easy to hack and exploit, population of shit-flinging manboons, pretty much. The game is basically Unreal Tournament with swords, and apparantly not even all that good at that. I haven't played it myself, so this is just from reading about it. There are a few people here who do have it. Check the other Darkfall threads here.

Guess I should be happy I stopped caring then. Sounds like they haven't implemented most of the stuff they've promised. Some people claim that it's not that bad, though. Maybe I'll try it if I become filthy rich and won't need to think twice about blowing money on some experiment.

Elzair

Cipher
Didn't Age of Conan have nudity?

Wouldn't the novelty have worn off by now?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
I belong to whichever group believes that people who can't handle a collection of pixels construing a cock should go to hell, and perhaps take their family members with them.

Nah, I don't really give a shit. Let there be a toggle for cocks if for no other reason than for putting 'cock' and 'toggle' into the same sentence.

DraQ

Arcane
poocolator said:
I belong to whichever group believes that people who can't handle a collection of pixels construing a cock should go to hell, and perhaps take their family members with them.

Nah, I don't really give a shit. Let there be a toggle for cocks if for no other reason than for putting 'cock' and 'toggle' into the same sentence.
This.
Also, long live the togglecock!

skyway

Educated
Wow, the PR people are pretty desperate.

In before "features dog sex, horses come as dlc"

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If anyone wants to run around with no armor on, let them. Also let them die a speedy death and be looted like they deserve.

You could even add a 'I was PK'd while n3kkid!' achievement.

DarkSign

Erudite
It already happened in Shadowbane and while it didn't happen a lot, im betting with a wang in the mix it would happen more.

It's really annoying and new players mean new fucktards.
It wont die and go away. It didnt in SB.

That being said, I was part of a naked pvp group. All we wore were Minotaur pimphats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom