Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

dragonbait

Augur
Thrasher said:
Note that it doesn't say if character levels are part of the scaling equation. How are MC characters treated? Is total XP looked at, total levels, or just stats....
Well according to the Cluebook it references
Beginning characters
with very high ability scores look to
the computer like high level adventurers .
This may put them at a disadvantage
because the party does not have the HP,
spells or the magic treasure of high level
adventurers.
So It seems stats look to be the prime culprit, but who knows. Unless we have some SSI coders amongst us we wil never know for sure. Regardless, I recommend maxing the stats with modify. It's too much of a hassle when your characters miss 4 out of 5 attacks due to a low strength stat. Since modify was made available by the dev's, there's no reason it shouldn't be taken into good use IMO.

Zomg

Arbiter
The stat scaling in PoR is really noticeable for level 1 peons going into the slums. If you have straight 18 monsters you fight like 12 orcs/goblins per trash encounter, with first roll gimps it's like 4-5. I don't know how relevant it remains through the entire game though, never ran the game twice through with badasses then gimps to compare with less than seven or eight years between.

If you're gonna play with crappy stat characters you mostly just lose the uber tanks/melee damage. Magic has almost no stat scaling in 1st/2nd edition, so you just spam it en masse and exploit resting like in every D&D game ever.

dragonbait

Augur
Well in my opinion the more monsters the better. I'd prefer an insane fight rather than an easy slaughter. Perhaps lower stats result in less monsters. But why not fight all the monsters that you are able to instead of having an easy exit. Just my opinion.

jaylittle

Scholar
In relation to the actual topic, the only bugs I recall from my recent run throughs of the Gold Box Forgotten Realm games pretty much all involve Ioun stones. Those fucking things were terribly buggy... Beyond that there aren't really any bugs that I am aware of and I've played through PoR, Curse, SoSB, and PoD multiple times. These were all the DOS versions, as I'm a huge DOS whore when it comes right down to it. A few tips:

1) Don't bother with non-human characters

2) Prepare to dual every single character eventually (preferably allow every single character to be able to cast mage spells if possible). I waited until PoD and it was worth the extra stretch.

3) Drop all of your fighters from PoR for rangers in Curse. Rangers can dual class to Mages and cast mage spells while wearing armor, using a shield and wielding any kind of weapon. This is a massive advantage in PoD. Other classes that dual over to mages will not be able to wear armor when they want to cast mage spells.

4) Don't worry about experience. Each game gives you more than enough even with a full 6 character party to smash through the level limits for the game.

5) Use the cluebooks. There is a decent amount of hidden stuff in a lot of maps that will be worth discovering.

6) Don't worry about hanging onto every single item for the next game. The only game that allows transfer of character items from game to the next is Secret of the Silver Blades. Even then your vault contents are not transferred. I learned this the hard way as I had dozens of mage scrolls saved in my vault and I planned on using them for my dual classing needs and then poof! they were gone!

7) Secret of the Silver Blades sucks. God it is just a horrid game. By the time you punch your way through to the end, you'll just want it to be over. It is boring and uninspired at best.

8) Pools of Darkness absolutely fucking rocks. Best game of the series. Curse/PoR are neck and neck in second place.

9) Fireball, Ice Storm, Magic Missile, Haste. Delayed Blast Fireball. These are probably the most used mage spells in the game. If you aren't using them religiously, you are doing something wrong.

10) When fighting Beholders: Haste, Mirror Image, Dispel Evil, Globe of Invulnerability, and Fire Shield make for a great combination. You will be fighting a handful of Beholders in Curse and Secret, and fuckton of them in PoD.

11) Never ever ever ever waste the "Dust of Disappearance". This item is in Curse once or twice and in Secret of the Silver Blades once I think. Easily the best item of the game, but it's for a single use only.

Thrasher

Erudite
What's a waste? I found a dust of dissapearance, and I was thinking of using it by my thief to sneak backstab a foe I couldn't beat anyother way...

dragonbait

Augur
jaylittle said:
In relation to the actual topic, the only bugs I recall from my recent run throughs of the Gold Box Forgotten Realm games pretty much all involve Ioun stones. Those fucking things were terribly buggy...
I'm not sure on the bugginess of the ion stones, but I'm pretty sure if you maxed out your characters stats at the beginning of the game, that the ioun stones were pretty much useless as your characters already had the max stats and could not go any further with an equipped ioun stone.
Beyond that there aren't really any bugs that I am aware of and I've played through PoR, Curse, SoSB, and PoD multiple times. These were all the DOS versions, as I'm a huge DOS whore when it comes right down to it. A few tips:
1) Don't bother with non-human characters
So very true...Unless your character is a fighter/thief, there is no real reason for any character to be any race but human.
2) Prepare to dual every single character eventually (preferably allow every single character to be able to cast mage spells if possible). I waited until PoD and it was worth the extra stretch.
It is (in my opinion) preferable to create new characters for every new game in the forgotten realms series. Only in the Pools of Darkness game do we really even need to consider doing the human class change. (except by PoD, all of your character's races should = human. If any are non-human then make your thief a halfling. But still even the thief could dual class if human.
3) Drop all of your fighters from PoR for rangers in Curse. Rangers can dual class to Mages and cast mage spells while wearing armor, using a shield and wielding any kind of weapon. This is a massive advantage in PoD. Other classes that dual over to mages will not be able to wear armor when they want to cast mage spells.
No objections here. Rangers come in super handy in Curse/Secret.
4) Don't worry about experience. Each game gives you more than enough even with a full 6 character party to smash through the level limits for the game.
Yep.
5) Use the cluebooks. There is a decent amount of hidden stuff in a lot of maps that will be worth discovering.
The only game in the series that I needed to use the cluebook for was for Curse of the Azure Bonds. I feel that that is the most complex and toughest game in the series. Use the Cluebook at will in that game. The others....not so much.
6) Don't worry about hanging onto every single item for the next game. The only game that allows transfer of character items from game to the next is Secret of the Silver Blades. Even then your vault contents are not transferred. I learned this the hard way as I had dozens of mage scrolls saved in my vault and I planned on using them for my dual classing needs and then poof! they were gone!
Oh so true! Use those items if you got 'em! Use the scrolling option to learn the spells if you don't already have them in your repertoire first though.
7) Secret of the Silver Blades sucks. God it is just a horrid game. By the time you punch your way through to the end, you'll just want it to be over. It is boring and uninspired at best.
While I find that SotSB is the most repetitioius...I disagree that it is a horrid game. I have found that the second time around, that SotSB is rewarding and better the second time around.
8) Pools of Darkness absolutely fucking rocks. Best game of the series. Curse/PoR are neck and neck in second place.
I did enjoy PoD, however I still consider PoR, as the best in the series, Curse I consider the least replayable as it is so difficult, Secret my second favorite, and PoD, my least favorite. Perhaps I like PoD the least due to it being the highest level game in the series. I tend to prefer the lower level quests.
9) Fireball, Ice Storm, Magic Missile, Haste. Delayed Blast Fireball. These are probably the most used mage spells in the game. If you aren't using them religiously, you are doing something wrong.
If you aren't using these spells you are most likely dead by now.
10) When fighting Beholders: Haste, Mirror Image, Dispel Evil, Globe of Invulnerability, and Fire Shield make for a great combination. You will be fighting a handful of Beholders in Curse and Secret, and fuckton of them in PoD.
11) Never ever ever ever waste the "Dust of Disappearance". This item is in Curse once or twice and in Secret of the Silver Blades once I think. Easily the best item of the game, but it's for a single use only.
I have vague recollections of using the Dust in the final battle in Curse.

Zomg

Arbiter
There's a bag of dust in Radiance also, might be in the Cadorna treasure thing?

dragonbait said:
Yes it does sound familiar that the dust was also in PoR. I kinda got in the habit of saving all the special items for later use, often not using them at all.

Yes, I always did this as well. Keeping things for a rainy day. Usually you forget all about them and continue attempting something until you win via normal means, and then wonder why you didn't use one of the saved items.

I also enjoy POR the most of this series. I have an affinity for the other series as well; The Forgotten realms games did not grab me as much as the Krynn/Savage Frontier/Buck Rogers games, but POR was brilliant.

jaylittle

Scholar
dragonbait said:
One word: Mulmaster :) The last battle is an excellent choice to of course. My other favorite choice for it's use would if be you decided to take out the dragons at the top of Draconis' tower.

dragonbait

Augur
jaylittle said:
dragonbait said:
One word: Mulmaster :) The last battle is an excellent choice to of course. My other favorite choice for it's use would if be you decided to take out the dragons at the top of Draconis' tower.
Excellent suggestion. Perhaps the Mulmaster Beholder Corps was the reason we obtain the Dust of Dissapearance in the first place. Seems like the ultimate place to use it. I never did complete that part. So many beholders in there, it seems the dev's wanted us all to die there.

Qwinn

Scholar
The dragons at the top of the tower, and the final fight in the game, while difficult, are definitely doable without the Dust. It's quite possible to do them without having any party member get knocked unconscious, in fact (though that will likely take some reloading).

Mulmaster, on the other hand - no, there's no conceivable way one could finish that battle, or even survive the first round, I think - without the Dust. What you're set against in that fight is simply insane, heh.

Qwinn

bgillisp

Scholar
I remember running into one bug in PoR. I had a character that was poisoned with about 50 HP, they died (as they are supposed to in PoR). However, when I got them healed, they came back and only had 25 max HP now. Ever since they I always restored if anyone was stoned or poisoned in PoR, for fear of running into that bug again.

As for modifying characters: I say it doesn't matter if you only intend to play the first two games, as I got through them fine my first time around with characters I just rolled and took (I think I had no stats over 16). However Silver blads and PoD will ream you if you don't have maxed characters. And don't forget you need 18 INT to cast the highest level mage spells and 18 WIS to cast the highest level Clerical spells (which got me my first time...my poor 14 INT mage didn't do so well in Silver Blades). Now I always give my Mages 18 INT and Clerics 18 WIS if I am playing all 4 games through.

And good luck with the final battle in Poosl of Darkness. I still have never beat that one without lowering the difficutly. Seriously: 8 Dracoliches who ALL breath undodgeable attacks that will kill any of my characters in 4 hits (with saving throws) + many other mimions, 2nd wave of 8 beholders, a 3rd wave of many more enemies, and 3rd round you have no magic? What were they thinking? Did they WANT anyone to get through that battle?

bgillisp

Scholar
Qwinn said:
The dragons at the top of the tower, and the final fight in the game, while difficult, are definitely doable without the Dust. It's quite possible to do them without having any party member get knocked unconscious, in fact (though that will likely take some reloading).

Mulmaster, on the other hand - no, there's no conceivable way one could finish that battle, or even survive the first round, I think - without the Dust. What you're set against in that fight is simply insane, heh.

Qwinn

Oh, wow, its been so long since I played that game I don't even recall what you are talking about with Mulmaster. Could someone please remind me what that battle was like?

dragonbait

Augur
Seriously though it was a side quest around the city of Voonlar? I can't remember which city it was. But it had a gazillion beholders and was virtually impossible to defeat.

I defeated the Beholder corps.

They charmed my Paladin. Beat the shit out of my party. Got bored and left the room watching the endless piles of cheese. It was dinner time and all. Put things on auto.

Come back and my Paladin was still standing.

I won thanks to the monsters getting bored and leaving my Paladin by his lonesome as far as I can tell.

mondblut

Arcane
jaylittle said:

Actually, the easiest way to fight beholders is to step away from them a couple of times, causing them to make melee attacks of opportunity and thus waste their proper round they would otherwise spend to disintegrate and petrify you. It was a commonly taught tactic in original NWN.

Thrasher

Erudite
Got through the Kobold Caves!

Had to use all my healing and extra healing potions. Hope there are more of those coming!

Also 2 fireball scrolls and a stinking cloud scroll and quite a few magic missiles from wands.

My tank finished the 3 wave onslaught with 10 HPs.

Whew! This is the first RPG I've played that seems to actually be balanced for ALL the consumables you actually receive. All others I've played I end up hoarding and using few of them.

It's definitely more on the edge...

Thrasher said:
Got through the Kobold Caves!

Had to use all my healing and extra healing potions. Hope there are more of those coming!

Also 2 fireball scrolls and a stinking cloud scroll and quite a few magic missiles from wands.

My tank finished the 3 wave onslaught with 10 HPs.

Whew! This is the first RPG I've played that seems to actually be balanced for ALL the consumables you actually receive. All others I've played I end up hoarding and using few of them.

It's definitely more on the edge...

That is why older games are better. It can be frustrating trying to get past those difficult battles, but when you do...

Luzur

Good Sir
Jasede said:
What did happen afterwards?

cant remember really, been quite some years i did it.

but i am doing a replay of the entire series so i will be able to tell ya soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom