Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do elitist gamers have fun?

Mackerel said:
Who really wants another Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape, or whatever your game of choice is? I want to see a RPG that puts all the classics to shame.

That's what we want too. We want a game that builds upon the classics and improves them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heck, even if I had another Planescape, Arcanum or Fallout I'd be incredibly happy. It would be better to have another Arcanum or PST clone instead of the dozens of Oblivion and Diablo clones we get all the time.

Black

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Mackerel said:
Who really wants another Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape, or whatever your game of choice is? I want to see a RPG that puts all the classics to shame.

That's what we want too. We want a game that builds upon the classics and improves them.
Yeah, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. It's all about EPIC nowadays.
Fuck, I even doubt the current industry is capable of making remakes of Fallout, Torment or Arcanum, and that says something.

mondblut

Arcane
Mackerel said:

I don't really want another Fallout, Arcanum or Planescape, but I wouldn't mind another Goldbox series and Wizardry 7, not at all!

Rosh

Erudite
MLMarkland said:
People can have high standards for movies and still enjoy great movies, games aren't any different. There's no need to lower standards for content. It's hard to have fun with bad games and the vast majority of major releases in the past two years have been atrocious.

Ah, glad to see we can agree on something. :D

This quote from their own comments, by the author of the article themselves, puts this into a clearer light:

Dumbfuck said:
Yeah, I'm not about to bash anything. I may not get the Wii's appeal, but I'm not about to say that millions and millions of people around the world are just stupid or wrong for enjoying it.

THAT, by the way, is the kind of thing I won't tolerate around here. Don't mind Sony fans (obviously we'll get those), and I don't mind telling everyone how much you love the PS3 or whatever. But NO senseless bashing on other systems just 'cuz you don't like 'em. :)

P.S. Not talking about anyone in particular; just a general comment there.

The article writer also neglects the most important fact: Most "professional gaming journalists" today are kids without any other marketable skills to do much else than reprint press kits with a thesaurus in their lap. Then there's a greater portion who believe the thesaurus died out around the same time as the T. Rex.

Most of them don't have a clue about the history of the industry besides what they could read in timeline articles, and the others like Desslock swallowed their integrity along with a bitter shot from a publisher's PR department and became shameless media whores.

When those who report and discuss games are that ignorant, then yes, the majority of the gaming audience will in turn be sycophantic morons. If knowing the history of the industry makes me "elite" in their eyes, I couldn't be happier, except when it comes to the recent releases, which couldn't be crappier.

Vibalist said:
All that really changed when I put my expectations aside and took those games for what they are, namely fairly entertaining romps that certainly have a lot of good (mindless ;) ) fun to offer, even if the writing isn't good or the setting isn't consistant.

Why should I accept a cheap knock-off with design that doesn't suit the setting and series? If it was called something else, that would be fine, but essentially it was another Star Wars Episode I.

Sure, Fallout 3 might be some fun, particularly if you can use the console commands like the QA did to bypass the problems inherent to the shitty design. The main enjoyment comes from having some experience in QA to laugh at the wholesale amateurishness of the design/QA. Oh, and if you find the Havok physics engine to be entertaining (though I'd rather play Gary's Mod for something like that).

It can't really be called non-linear, because several quests break once you get past certain points in the linear-as-my-lower-intestine story path, often completely borking the AI to the point where NPCs will travel halfway across the map in an opposite direction to get to a location, and then still end up dying. Yeah, that level scaling thing again from Oblivious, and the "innovative" Retardiant AI in action. Many quests assume you went through and scoured a few locations early on without taking into consideration the main storyline.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Ass Effect could only be given merit of entertainment in the same way folks could watch a B Movie - for the pure awfulness that wraps back around the scale to become unintentionally entertaining in a way other than the developer intended, if you have the patience to stick it out. Some people like Troma, which is fine. But calling that quality? No way in hell, and imagine if Troma bought the rights to make a Mad Max sequel...and there you have Fallout 3. Unfortunately, the comparison breaks down there once you take into account that Bethesda and BioWare truly are serious about their work, while Troma admits to being 100% Cheese.

As for Ass Effect, I'm surprised that Uwe Boll's name isn't listed in the credits.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think todays games are not even meant to be satisfying experiences. Instead they design them to be stimulating only for some days, while all the time the player is already craving for the next game. Hence the need for linearity, creating hype and wrong expectation that will never be fulfilled.

mondblut

Arcane
OgreOgre said:
Grimoire is comin'.

Right after Duke Nukem Forever, but before TSLRP :D

It is way more like Wizardry 6, though. Wizardry 7 = active NPCs stealing critical quest items before your nose, and huge seamless world without "locations".

Double Ogre

Scholar
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
Grimoire is just so coming out this year. Think what cheese you will have to eat then. I will be serving it with a slice of crow.

Working on it every single day, at least at hour a day. NPCs are done. Editing the living daylights out of items now and anything they are related to. Then will edit daylights out of monsters. That leaves a dozen things to do in the scenario and then Grimoire will go into beta testing again and then it will be released. Think of the tidal wave of Roquefort you will be choking on when that happens if it's this year. Think if I also release another game this year, both of them before end of 2009. The cheese will be a tsunami of cheddar whip and you will have to eat it all.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=74

KKKthulhu.

Educated
GlobalExplorer said:
I think todays games are not even meant to be satisfying experiences. Instead they design them to be stimulating only for some days, while all the time the player is already craving for the next game. Hence the need for linearity, creating hype and wrong expectation that will never be fulfilled.

Sad.

It's so sad to see the fanbois clamoring for a sequel right after the game is released. It's even more sad to see them anticipating the sequel and the changes it will include even BEFORE the game is released.

mondblut

Arcane
OgreOgre quoting Cleve said:
Grimoire is just so coming out this year. Think what cheese you will have to eat then. I will be serving it with a slice of crow.

Having been a part of 3 betatests, I've been hearing that since 1997 :D And, having completed it (notwithstanding a few cheatcodes, broken dialogues, abscence of most loot and lack of proper balancing), I don't care that much anymore :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom