Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tim Cain didn't want to do FO2 and thought PS:T was a JRPG

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Your wit has never been matched. Surpassed, often, but matched - never.

Silellak

Cipher
I see your:

Melcar said:

And raise you:

planescape3_buster.jpg

Qwinn

Scholar
Sillelak:

The spiky blond hair photoshop didn't make me laugh at all, but adding the ridiculously oversized sword was freakin' hilarious. Kudos. :lol:

Qwinn

Silellak

Cipher
Qwinn said:
Sillelak:

The spiky blond hair photoshop didn't make me laugh at all, but adding the ridiculously oversized sword was freakin' hilarious. Kudos. :lol:

Qwinn

Thanks. Just a shame I couldn't really do it to scale:

planescape3_buster_toscale.jpg

Silellak

Cipher
Melcar said:
You could just add a big one behind. No reason he can't have both an axe and a buster sword.

Two weapon types for a single character? In a modern JRPG?

You are clearly quite confused.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PrzeSzkoda said:
Bullcrap again. Because, you know, in Icewind Dale you can go to the endgame tower straight from the starting village, and in Baldur's Gate you can go to fuckin' Baldur's Gate City straight from Candlekeep, and in BG2 you can totally go straight from Athkatla to the Underdark, or maybe even that snazzy Elven city. The fact that BeeGees are chock-full of additional areas that have no bearing on the main plot at all doesn't change the fact that the level of linearity is on par with PS:T's. It's exactly the same thing, only with more stuff on the sidelines, less stuff divided up into different areas.
Fixed.

Qwinn

Scholar
If TNO's combat moves didn't include a leap forward that actually arcs -upward- instead of downward, along with the downstroke of the hugeassMF sword that makes the screen shake with Batman-like subtitles of awesomehugedamagekablammpow, followed by an extremely improbable backward slide to the original position, it ain't a JRPG.

Qwinn

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But it did have unskipable spell cinematics.

How about it Qwinn, heh? PRime tweak pack material i think.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I am required to inform you that you will be baked...
And then there will be cake...
....................................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................
This is my final warning...

The essence of RPGs is leveling, story, battle and items.

Linearity is not an option: No game can have an endless amount of final bosses and an endless amount of ways to reach them.

There is no need to pick a character at the beginning as long as he can evolve in different ways during the game.

Noone can identify himself with a party, so companions are obsolete: RPGs are not strategy games >>> no need for epic battles.

Any deviance from the basic structure of RPGs is just a vain atempt to recycle an idea that is too old to sell.

R.V.

Qwinn

Scholar
But it did have unskipable spell cinematics.

How about it Qwinn, heh? PRime tweak pack material i think.

It's a good idea for a tweak. I'm just not sure how feasible it is. If I can do it just by switching out one BAM with another, I might be able to make it work, but I think most of it is done in the engine unfortunately. And I'd rather not burn scient out with stuff like that when there's still plenty of engine bugs to work out.

Qwinn

Murk

Arcane
Shocking revelations from the heart of the Olde Empyre

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Re: Tim Cain didn't want to do FO2 and thought PS:T was a JR

Vault Dweller said:
PST is a western JRPG minus spiky hair, emo characters, and other crap. The question is, is it a bad thing?
Calling bullshit here. The only difference I can see between PST and Fallout (which I am sure is what you would consider a 100% Western rpg) is the inability to create your own character at the beginning (though you can still pick the stats) and the lack of complete freedom of exploration. Is that really the criteria you want to establish for determining the difference between Western and Japanese rpgs?

If I had to pick one distinguishing element, it would be C&C. That allows enough games to be put into the Western category to be meaningful (because categories only work if they can hold more than a handful) and is a very obvious and fundamental difference. Of course there are different ways for C&C to be implemented, and it seems to to me that there are roughly two large groups: open-ended, complete-freedom-of-exploration rpgs like Fallout, and more linear, story-driven types like PST where you sacrifice some player freedom but in turn gain the potential for a more compelling story and greater thematic depth. That's two different groups, but both involve C&C.

My point is, only in the most superficial areas can PST be compared to jrpgs. Calling it a "western JRPG" is like saying Half Life 2 is a shooter/adventure because of the occasional puzzle thrown in there.

KKKthulhu. said:
PrzeSzkoda said:
Bullcrap again. Because, you know, in Icewind Dale you can go to the endgame tower straight from the starting village, and in Baldur's Gate you can go to fuckin' Baldur's Gate City straight from Candlekeep, and in BG2 you can totally go straight from Athkatla to the Underdark, or maybe even that snazzy Elven city. The fact that BeeGees are chock-full of additional areas that have no bearing on the main plot at all doesn't change the fact that the level of linearity is on par with PS:T's. It's exactly the same thing, only with more stuff on the sidelines, divided up into different areas.

SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM

It was

SARCASM

62589519.tuIjLGVd.dancing.gif
dancingman.gif
Trolling rule #1: If you say something that is retarded, and then get called out on it, just say it was sarcasm! That way you can't lose! You redirect the blame and pass your own stupidity onto someone else, hoping that no one will catch it.

Of course, this only works if people don't realize what you're doing and how much of a retard you really are, and your game is pretty much up for everyone here, if it wasn't already after your first handful of posts. In two days I have seen you post retarded post after retarded post in an almost deliberate attempt to rack up as many dumbfuck points as possible in a short amount of time. Your posts reek of idiocy on almost every level. And your attempts to deny your alt status are truly pathetic. If you aren't an alt, then there are only two other types of users you can be: people who stumble on this site, see an interesting thread, and feel compelled to join; or lurkers who finally decide to become part of the community. Now, you've already said enough to reveal that you know too much about this site and its history to be the first type, so that leaves the lurker. And lurkers don't suddenly make 150 posts in their first two days, while simultaneously making the biggest asses of themselves as is possible in so short amount of time. So that means you are an alt. Of course, now that that is immensely obvious to everyone, the primary aim of being an alt is now irrevocably destroyed, which means you have failed in that just like you have most likely failed in everything else in your life. Now you are just a lone retard pissing in the wind, never realizing that it is blowing in your direction. And if you have the mental fortitude to have read through this much text to this point, you should know that you will have no lasting impact on us here. Your trolling spree will be forgotten along with you once you are purged from this site. You are like a bad case of food poisoning that we will swallow, shit out, and flush down the toilet, never to be seen again. Your ban can't come soon enough.

KKKthulhu.

Educated
Re: Tim Cain didn't want to do FO2 and thought PS:T was a JR

Dicksmoker said:
Trolling rule #1: If you say something that is retarded, and then get called out on it, just say it was sarcasm! That way you can't lose! You redirect the blame and pass your own stupidity onto someone else, hoping that no one will catch it.

Of course, this only works if people don't realize what you're doing and how much of a retard you really are, and your game is pretty much up for everyone here, if it wasn't already after your first handful of posts. In two days I have seen you post retarded post after retarded post in an almost deliberate attempt to rack up as many dumbfuck points as possible in a short amount of time. Your posts reek of idiocy on almost every level. And your attempts to deny your alt status are truly pathetic. If you aren't an alt, then there are only two other types of users you can be: people who stumble on this site, see an interesting thread, and feel compelled to join; or lurkers who finally decide to become part of the community. Now, you've already said enough to reveal that you know too much about this site and its history to be the first type, so that leaves the lurker. And lurkers don't suddenly make 150 posts in their first two days, while simultaneously making the biggest asses of themselves as is possible in so short amount of time. So that means you are an alt. Of course, now that that is immensely obvious to everyone, the primary aim of being an alt is now irrevocably destroyed, which means you have failed in that just like you have most likely failed in everything else in your life. Now you are just a lone retard pissing in the wind, never realizing that it is blowing in your direction. And if you have the mental fortitude to have read through this much text to this point, you should know that you will have no lasting impact on us here. Your trolling spree will be forgotten along with you once you are purged from this site. You are like a bad case of food poisoning that we will swallow, shit out, and flush down the toilet, never to be seen again. Your ban can't come soon enough.

vader%20NOOOO.jpg

My life is meaningless now! I was trying to be the bestest Codexer ever and you have shattered my fragile spirit! Your clever wording and truthiness has shattered all hope I ever held. To die, to weep. The eternal blackness awaits me now.

Oy... would it have killed you to separate that into a few paragraphs? My eyes are bleeding.

Now...

1. Let's get this out of the way. "Oh great not again. Alt, blah, blah, blah. Rolleyes. Yada yada"
2. *sips tea*
3. What the hell is wrong with you?
4. *groans*

I don't even think you've read anything. No, I know you didn't, because I have lurked, and you are one of the biggest idiots here (and that's saying something). You never read anything. You just comment on shit for the sake of it. You reply to posts that are actually located in different threads - at least, that's what I tell myself to avoid trying to punch your avatar through the computer screen.

Here was your thought process here:
"I saw KKKthulhu write a stupid post somewhere. Someone responded to him in this thread. He responded saying sarcasm. Ergo, he was wrong and now I must make fun of him. Others will see my awesome hazing and I will be firmly cemented as Mr. Awesome Poster and/or I'm just doing this to stroke my own pathetic ego."

Here's what I wrote, in case pressing the little number 2 on the bottom of the page requires too much mental skill for someone of your ineptitude:

What do you mean it's not more linear that the other IE games? Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale... these weren't game where you were shuffled directly from place to place, unlocking areas at the designer's discretion. I don't know what IE games you played, but the ones I experienced were unparalleled in their ambidextrous brilliance.

*ahem*

And if you still need help, here's my previous post that PS responded to:

PST's downfalls came from the combat and it's JRPGness. So yes, being a western JRPG is a bad thing. It's a very good game, but was very limited in that it was a mostly linear experience, and instead of playing your own character you were playing the designer's character. I can't really replay that game like I do with others, and I didn't had a "different experience" when I went back to PST like I've experienced with other RPGs.

Well would you look at that! Golly gee, I didn't even mention the IE games. I posted that sarcastic comment because PS replied with his stupid IE response, which was not even related to what I had posted.

"Trolling rule #1"? No. Fuck that. POSTING RULE #1: Read a thread before you reply to the thread.

When you're through swallowing your tongue I'll be waiting in the breakroom eating the last doughnuts. If you're going to come back with "But that's not what I meant! LOLRETARD! You got me all wrong!" you'd sure as hell better make it funny, with interesting quips and insults, so it will be at least worth some lulz. Don't reply with the stupid kind of "YOUR SO PATHETIC AND WILL BE FORGOTTEN PISS DONKEY SHITCAKE I HATE YOU!" kind of drivel that you just responded with.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is going to be good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom