Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGS are good?

DriacKin

Arbiter
asper said:
Waterd103 said:
So what are the games that the rpg codexers recognize as "well done RPGS?"

Vault Dweller said:
The hive mind has spoken. Here is the list of the best RPGs voted by our readers who may or may not have a clue.

1. Fallout
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
5. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
6. Deus Ex
7. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
8. Ultima 7: The Black Gate // Baldur's Gate
9. System Shock 2 // Gothic 2
10. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

I'm surprised the Baldur's Gate games are so high on this list. So many Codexers (including me) seem to dislike them.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Dele said:
Saxon1974 said:
Dont see Gothic 3 listed as Codex approved. Does that mean consensus is codex does not like it?

I am finished G2 then I will play 3 (played a little but seemed good so far).

Gothic 3 is a shitty game.

Even two worlds is better, forsooth.

As released or with Community Patch 1.17 or the latest one?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 stands above all other games in the RPG genre, in terms of doing well in pretty much all categories, although it's by no means perfect, of course.

However, while it's clearly a game with heavy RPG elements, it's also much more focused on the turn based tactics side, so proclaiming it as the best RPG ever (which I'm going to go ahead and do), is a statement that's destined to be controversial as it implies certain things about the RPG genre.

Combat/Gameplay: A+, stands the test of time to the point where people have played it regularly for a decade, often using the same maps for most of that. Not much comes close.

Characterization and Dialog: A+, these are almost certainly some of the best characterized NPCs in any game, and the quality of dialog is similarly amazing

Choices and consequences: There are quite a few, and they emerge through gameplay, rather than simple tactics ogre style "do you burn the village or not" menus. Most of the choices and consequences however emerge from the relations between NPCs (Steriod hates Russians, many people hate Buns, etc) and in gameplay rather than from options in the plot to turn evil or whatever. On the other hand, it's nice that you can hire both people who hate each other, as long as you try to keep them in separate squads and only rarely bring them into the same sector they won't automatically leave.

Plot: This could be considered a weakness, as the plot while fun and well done, is not that much of a driving force, as it's more of a sandbox game, where you're left on your own to accomplish a mission and the story is told through interludes and dialog with npcs than a strict chapter progression. But it's not like it actually would get a bad grade here either.

Graphics and sound: technically limited but extremely functional and charming; these have stood the test of time as well.

Vampire, fallout and arcanum, for all their major strong points, still suffer from bad-mediocre combat. BG2 for all it's many strong points is still much more flawed than JA2, in terms of combat and arguably in other ways as well.

TOEE and otther hack and slashers can at best hope to come within 85% of JA2's combat and entirely lack the other qualities that make it such a timeless classic.

Really, I'd have trouble seeing anything that comes close to JA2 in terms of RPGs which are overall great and lack that annoying flaw that most of the other top dogs in the genre seem burdened with.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
81.gif

nomask7

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
As released or with Community Patch
Why do you ask, considering you already tried it? I'd say it's a good game. Hell, turtle's carapace, and all that, I'm even replaying it now with the latest community patch (I played through previously with the version 1.6). In some not altogether lethal ways it's inferior to G2: NotR, but in some not altogether insignificant ways it's better than G2: NotR. Two Worlds is also worth trying (especially considering it gets better and better until it ends, assuming you don't spend your time scavenging the many nondescript non-quest dungeons).

Rhett Butler

Scholar
OP should shoot himself in the penis before posting again. Use a snub nose .38 revolver.

ElectricOtter

asper said:
Waterd103 said:

Vault Dweller said:
The hive mind has spoken. Here is the list of the best RPGs voted by our readers who may or may not have a clue.

1. Fallout
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
6. Deus Ex
Needs more Ultima Underworld.

Other than that, this is the top 10 list of rpgs so far.

Black

Arcane
DriacKin said:
asper said:
Waterd103 said:

Vault Dweller said:

1. Fallout
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
6. Deus Ex

I'm surprised the Baldur's Gate games are so high on this list. So many Codexers (including me) seem to dislike them.

Because fuckers who are causing the decline don't see the difference between a (c)RPG and a computer game.
I LIKE IT THEREFORE IT'S AN RPG

The Feral Kid

Prophet
DriacKin said:
asper said:
Waterd103 said:

Vault Dweller said:

1. Fallout
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
6. Deus Ex

No. It's just that BG haters are incredibly butthurt by the high esteem BG series generally enjoy, and are keen to show this butthurt more often and at every opportunity. Like Black does now. An oppressed minority that thinks is a majority.

Black

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
No. It's just that BG haters are incredibly butthurt by the high esteem BG series generally enjoy, and are keen to show this butthurt more often and at every opportunity. Like Black does now. An oppressed minority that thinks is a majority.

Because all BG lovers always succeeded when showing how great rpg series baldur's gate is, right?
Oh wait a second, they haven't. Even once.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Black said:
The Feral Kid said:

Because all BG lovers always succeeded when showing how great rpg series baldur's gate is, right?
Oh wait a second, they haven't. Even once.

It's the haters who feel the urge to prove the contrary and live with this permanent agony. Derailing threads even for the mentioning of BG and bringing up irrelevant arguments as if everyone needs a constant reminder how much they suck, shows except for the level of butthurt also how sterile you are. Get over it. BG series/fans don't have to prove anything to anyone. How much they've been mimicked and copied even by fav codex devs/games speaks for itself.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
At least Black isn't guilty of bashing BG, but fapping to NWN2 or Alpha Protocol (as far as I know), like some others here.

[controversial statement]Both BG games are better than anything Obisidian ever did.[/controversial statement]

In before Obsidian fanboy rage.

Etc.

Black

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
BG series/fans don't have to prove anything to anyone.
You're in for quite a shock buddy. Also, you'd make a pretty good fundie.

How much they've been mimicked and copied even by fav codex devs/games speaks for itself.
Sure they have. Any examples of fav codex devs/games that copied "rpg" aspects of BG series?

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Black said:
You're in for quite a shock buddy. Also, you'd make a pretty good fundie.

Ha ha. Look who's talking about being a fundie. Someone who uses the "Go play Arcanum and Fallout" motto in the most uncalled for manner. As if we haven't done so already numerous times, or never heard about them before.

Sure they have. Any examples of fav codex devs/games that copied "rpg" aspects of BG series?

Is there a point bringing them up since you weren't able to spot them yet? Chances are that you won't be able to so afterwards either. It's called prejudice. Your "contributions" to such threads don't offer much except maybe for new ignore list possibilities.

Black

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
Ha ha. Look who's talking about being a fundie. Someone who uses the "Go play Arcanum and Fallout" motto in the most uncalled for manner.
Um, no my dear retard, learn to read. Someone asked me what quality RPGs I play and I told him- try Fallout and Arcanum first.
I see that memory (and your brain) doesn't serve you well so here it is.
I am just interested to know what actual RPG Black likes so I can go play a brilliant RPG
Unless you really think that BG has something on Fallout and Arcanum when it comes to RPGs. Now I see I'm condemned because I like actual good RPGs, not epic fantasy dungeon crawlers.
As if we haven't done so already numerous times, or never heard about them before.
Are you dumb? The guy wanted to know what RPGs I play, I told him. I don't give a shit if you're bored of hearing about them.

Is there a point bringing them up since you weren't able to spot them yet?

Sure there is, after all we're talking about Codex fav devs/games, right? That way even my prejudice won't save me.
You might want to start searching, I'll give you a hand because I'm a nice guy.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1935

nomask7

Arcane
The majority is always wrong. I can make a better list than that without any outside help:

Gothic 2: Night of the Raven
Fallout
Hordes of the Underdark
Mask of the Betrayer
Wizardry 8
Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Might and Magic VI
Geneforge 5
Ultima Underworld
Ultima VII
Arena or Daggerfall
Arcanum
Two Worlds (for being the true successor to Diablo, that is, the best loot game thus far)
Morrowind
Temple of Elemental Evil
7th Saga
Oblivion (with Francesco's mod)

Some of those are good without much qualification (mostly the ones concentrating in the upper part of the list). The rest, while not as good as the others, can be called good, too. Otherwise, the list is in no particular order. Moreover, it has been biased by my insufficient experience, for example I haven't played much besides the RPGs on the list, and even some of the games on the list I've played only enough to judge them a bit.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Black said:
Um, no my dear retard, learn to read. Someone asked me what quality RPGs I play and I told him- try Fallout and Arcanum first.

And of course you grabbed the opportunity right away. Not that you needed any as it happens more often than not, but I guess it's nice to have a pretext from time to time.

Unless you really think that BG has something on Fallout and Arcanum when it comes to RPGs. Now I see I'm condemned because I like actual good RPGs, not epic fantasy dungeon crawlers.

Did you actually just reduced BG to Diablo-level dungeon crawler? Is this how stupid you are and where your criticism is depleted? Not even Icewind Dale isn't a dungeon crawler because it is strongly story driven. BG has so many more elements that raise it above the "dungeon crawler" level that this should be a dead giveaway. Apparently not to you.

Riddle me this, moron man. How's that BG is a dungeon crawler while games that follow its formula closely and try to recycle pretty much every gameplay aspect of it are not. (Hint: I like NWN 2 better than NWN 1 because it is more reminiscent to BG 2 in almost every aspect)

nomask7

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
Jagged Alliance 2 stands above all other games in the RPG genre
Hahhah. Bullshit. I have played it. It is about contemporary gunmen shooting each other.

nomask7

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
Black said:

And of course you grabbed the opportunity right away. Not that you needed any as it happens more often than not, but I guess it's nice to have a pretext from time to time.

Did you actually just reduced BG to Diablo-level dungeon crawler? Is this how stupid you are and where your criticism is depleted? Not even Icewind Dale isn't a dungeon crawler because it is strongly story driven. BG has so many more elements that raise it above the "dungeon crawler" level that this should be a dead giveaway. Apparently not to you.

Riddle me this, moron man. How's that BG is a dungeon crawler while games that follow its formula closely and try to recycle pretty much every gameplay aspect of it are not. (Hint: I like NWN 2 better than NWN 1 because it is more reminiscent to BG 2 in almost every aspect)
Diablo is better than BG2. Hordes of the Underdark is leagues above NWN2. Stop spamming shit, asshole.

Black

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
And of course you're certain that I go around the Codex spamming "I PLAY FALLOUT AND ARCANUM", which of course is bullshit but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. Too bad that's not true, but still...

Yes, you're right, I apologize. BG isn't like Diablo. Diablo at least has the decency to honestly tell you that it's all about killing monsters and phat lewt while BG tries to pretend it's something more and fails miserably at it.
Sure, you have classes, a party and spellbooks. Too bad 99% of quests are about clearing a dungeon and collecting loot.
And no, IceWind Dale isn't story driven. It's an Infinity hack 'n slash. Another one that's more honest about itself than BG.
WHAT games follow its formula? Or better yet, WHAT good games follow its formula? NWN 1 was a boring piece of shit, NWN 2 mas a painfully mediocre piece of shit.
But as it is, it seems you think that BG invented something. Tell me, what?

The Feral Kid

Prophet
nomask7 said:
Diablo is better than BG2. Hordes of the Underdark is leagues above NWN2. Stop spamming shit, asshole.

It wasn't meant as comparison of the two games, you fucking idiot. But Diablo is an example of dungeon crawler. I told you before to work on your reading comprehension, and you still haven't. That's why you keep on being the codex laughingstock. Kids, they never listen until it is too late.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom