Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamespy Gamer's Choice RPG/MMORPG Award

What do you think the best RPG/MMORPG of the year is?

• Beyond Divinity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • City of Heroes

• EverQuest 2

• I of the Dragon

• Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicle

• Sacred

• Saga of Ryzom (The)

• Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

• Vendetta Online

• World of Warcraft

• Total voters

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
You know, Kult should be on that list. Sure it's nothing revolutionary, but it's still a damn decent RPG that deserves some credit. The list above sucks ass, but then so does Gamespy.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
List isn't much worse than last year: Lionheart (gag), KOTOR, TOEE, Gothic 2, and a bunch of crappy MMORPGS. Only two of those games were good.

Anyway, Bloodlines better win that shit. Not fair putting it up against WoW though.

Sarvis

Erudite
Yeah, Dragon Age isn't coming out anytime soon.

2006 is probably even wishful thinking... heh.

Dhruin

Liturgist
While it isn't in the running for "best ever", I enjoyed BL enough to list it among my favourites and it's pretty competitve against anything released for several years, IMO.

Dunno how you could get too excited about Dragon Age, Rex...what do we really know about it?

Surlent

Liturgist
If it's Gamespy, it's bound to be full of hype. World of Warcraft wins for the hype.

My vote goes to BL, but for me it's game of the year anyway.
Maybe it's just the 1st person view, but it's hard to call it a rpg, more like spiritual successor to first Deus Ex.

suibhne

Erudite
Exitium said:
There's one game in 2005 that makes me quiver in my pants: Dragon Age

I can't wait to read your posts after you've played that one for a week. :lol:

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, Bloodlines is likely the best of the bunch, but that sure as hell doesn't make it RPG of the Year by default. This year is a lot like 2003, there's really no great commercial game that deserves the nod for year's best.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Meh. BL is worthy of RPG of the Year even with the crappy competition. It may have its sahre of faulkts; but the fact is till wanna play it in spite of says faults says a lot for its good quality.

Easy game of the year with possibly KOTOR x-box having a chance to win out though it won't matter since I won't play KOTOR2 'til 2005 anyways. And, even against KOTOR2, BL may kand up being better. Who knows. Though KOTOR2 is gauranteed to have better combat. R00fles!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Volourn, do note the poll is regarding PC gaming only. If it was console gaming, I'm almost certain KOTOR2 would win out. With the only console RPGs being games like Fable and BG:DA2, it's hard for KOTOR2 not to win in the console department.

Visceris

Liturgist
Last I heard Dragon Age was 2006 as long with NWN 2. It would be interesting to see which one comes out on top. Bioware has always made their games technically good with great tech support while their stories have been rather lackluster. Obsidian has the boyos who made Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale, both of the best games of their types.

Mendoza

Liturgist
Yeah, I'm not expecting Dragon Age or Oblivion til 2006.

The only noteworthy PC RPGs I can see next year are KotOR 2, Jade Empire (assuming it gets a PC release) the Witcher and Guildwars.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah. I've got Guild Wars preordered and The Witcher looks pretty good so far, based on what they've said and based on the screenshots. I don't know about KOTOR II though, since the reviews state that the game is a rehash of the original KOTOR and the graphics look worse than KOTOR's for some reason.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Gothic 3 (if 2005), Dungeon Siege 2 (a pseudo-rpg, but still), Sacred Underworld (addon, and same as the former), Dungeon Lords (well, at least it's possible that it won't suck). Also there's the rpg being built on the source engine by makers of Arx Fatalis...

Not to forget Geneforge 3!

And those are just the things I came up with on top of my head. 2005 will have a few more titles I'm sure, no matter the quality.

The PC screens for Kotor2 looks pretty good though, I'm not that worried.

Visceris

Liturgist
From all the pics I have seen KotOR 2 looks identical to KotOR 1, graphically.

Mendoza

Liturgist
Yeah, all the graphics issues that all the reviews seem to complain about don't bother me, since I know I'll be able to play it in high res with AA on and still have great frame rates. It's not like it's Half Life 2 or Bloodlines.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Oh my god. RPG titles so few, they have to be combined with MMORPGs.
That is probably my worst nightmare coming true.
I wonder why was Geneforge 2 not on the list, or Blades of Avernum.
Kult, The Fall and a couple of more titles that have been released in Europe, but didn't get a US release this year, so that's probably why.
As for next year's releases, the only one I am really expecting is Geneforge 3.
Dragon Age, Gothic 3, NWN 2, are not coming before 2006 (ok, I know Gothic may get the German version early, but it will have huge bugs to say at least).
The Witcher I highly doubt that would be a good RPG, although it does look like a great adventure title.
As for Dungeon Siege 2 - whoever calls that game an rpg, is not right on his mind. DS was a terrrible game - nothing RPG in it, and as an action or adventure game it sucked. DS 2 has so far unconvinced me it is going to offer sth that I might even consider as an rpg ellement.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I doubt the guys at GameSpy even know what Geneforge 2 and Blades of Avernum are. Even if they did, the majority of people who frequent GameSpy sites probably don't.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I doubt the guys at GameSpy even know what Geneforge 2 and Blades of Avernum are. Even if they did, the majority of people who frequent GameSpy sites probably don't.

And to me, that is one of the biggest crimes in RPG circles. But then again, how many people who frequent Gamespy would even consider playing those games even if they knew about them? :x

Lomer

Liturgist
I voted for BL, but it would never win against WoW in the Gamespy’s poll. The WoW’s fan community is larger and much more active on the net (as should be expected from MMORPG fans).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom