Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The new Wolfenstein is out

Luzur

Good Sir
thanks, i will avoid this now.

vrok

Liturgist
It might be consolised easy-mode shit when compared to real FPSes but it's still better than CoD4, Far Cry 2 and Bioshock, especially in the gameplay department. If your standards are that low you might want to take a look. No leaning is kind of annoying though.

I don't really know why people bother whining about a supposed decline of the Wolfenstein series since RTCW as RTCW was pretty fucking shit even though it was a true PC FPS. Easily the worst game besides this one to ever wear the id logo. I'd say the decline is so microscopic it's ridiculous to whine about it. Then again that never stopped anyone before.

Fyz

Scholar
Would you recommend it to a fan of old FPS's (classic wolfenstein, doom)? Is it difficulty-wise comparable to these games?
The last 'recent' FPS I've palyed were HL2, Doom3 and Fear. Out of these I've found HL2 boring. Fear was okay, but nothing special. Doom3 was enjoyable, but nothing comparable to classic Doom.

Also, how is the multiplayer? I understand it's class based, so is it like ETQW, or more random noob friendly like TF2?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Fyz said:
Would you recommend it to a fan of old FPS's (classic wolfenstein, doom)? Is it difficulty-wise comparable to these games?
The last 'recent' FPS I've palyed were HL2, Doom3 and Fear. Out of these I've found HL2 boring. Fear was okay, but nothing special. Doom3 was enjoyable, but nothing comparable to classic Doom.

Also, how is the multiplayer? I understand it's class based, so is it like ETQW, or more random noob friendly like TF2?

It has regenerating health therefore it is not your classic Wolfenstein but some console crap. I played the classics (Wolf3d, Duke, Doom 1+2) and all this console crap(regen, cover system) is getting annoying and excessive. Does anyone even want a challenge anymore ??

Black Cat

Magister
@Barrow_Bug

The Hivemind does not play games, it just bitches about them. And i do not think there is a big name group release yet, so i highly doubt anyone is talking out of first-hand experience here.

denizsi

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
denizsi said:
This is a true RTCW alright: Return To Console Wolfenstein.

Funny joke. One question; have you actually played it? Just asking is all.

I've played MP Beta. I've read that MP is pretty much the same in finished game as well. MP Beta was consolized shit, at least compared to RTCW. Still, I'm sure it can be fun.

Aradesh

Novice
HanoverF said:
Definition of Consolized crap: See Wolfenstein
wolfenstein-3d.jpg

O RLY?

A user named cat

Black Cat said:
@Barrow_Bug

The Hivemind does not play games, it just bitches about them. And i do not think there is a big name group release yet, so i highly doubt anyone is talking out of first-hand experience here.
Be more ignorant. A two second torrent search will show you a legit Razor911 release that's been up since last night.

The game is dull shit, it's basically a mish-mash of every generic shooter out there. It's like TimeShift all over again. Ignore the retard who said it's better than CoD 4, not even close. RTCW was awesome, this game blows. It's as simple as that without needing a breakdown.

Ch1ef

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I'm downloading it, I'll try it out and give a more balanced review than "WAAAH ITS CONSOLE SHIT" when it's done.
This

I guess no one bothered reading the passage I quoted from the "fair and balanced" IGN review that pretty much sums up how shitty this game actually is. :roll:

Section8

Cipher
this game is SHIT on all levels. Utter fucking crass. This wouldn't fucking pass as a fucking decent video game if you were a primitive race of multiheaded dicks with opposable thumbs and were discovering fire as we speak.

and i mean it. SHIT. CRAP. Played it for like 5 hours yesterday just to see the maximum level of appalled I could reach. It's like that thing Cleve was talking about.

Absolute, undeniable, maximized SHIT. Haven't you grown old of recycled console mechanics? This franchise vampire has got it all. Slow-motion, twin worlds overlapping, so-called purchase management (buying your weapons like you're in a fucking WalMart every time the game designers thought that the aspies who will actually buy this game would run out of ammo).

The FOV on the PC is absolute shite. Your average FPS player can confirm, it's like you're watching the game through a fucking telescope.And there's so much oversaturated coloring that burns your eyes in this goat vomit that I wonder who the fuck slipped LSD in my vodka.

I mean fuck's sake, you wouldn't see this much eye blasting if you were watching Japanese cartoons on fast-forward with a fucking interrogation lamp staring you in the retinae.

I hope this inexusable bowl of sheep diarrhoea gets shoved down Raven employee's throats.

Fuck me I just lost 5 more hours of my life getting raped by an LCD monitor.

Permit me to summarise:

QED

Hobo Elf said:
Azrael the cat said:
Jaesun said:
SO it is SHIT? Just wondering....

Someone doesn't understand the difference between 'shit for a System Shock spiritual sequel' and 'shit for a corridor shooter that just happens to be set in the Bioshock universe'. Bioshock was quite decent at the latter, and taken as a straight-up no brain shooter, it was pretty good once they provided the patch to turn the retarded regeneration chambers off. Good sound, decent plot, 1 genuinely good character (that's one more than most shooters), some genuinely challenging and emergent fights once you turned the regeneration chambers off (seriously, the chambers completely hide this aspect of the game, so it's easy to miss - turn the chambers off at the options page, and THEN see how much more fun it is to try to set up for the Big Daddy fights with appropriate ammo/weapons, surroundings (trying to force him to cross enviro hazards), turrets etc). No regenerating health bullshit. Yeah the hacking minigame is retarded, but corridor shooters aren't exactly known for their great implementation of non-shooting abilities (agian, taking Bioshock as a corridor shooter rather than a DE / SS2 successor).

And at least it was a proper 3D shooter rather than the retarded cover system shooters of late that take you back to the old coin-op pedal-system railroad shooters.

Not that this stuff should be worthy of comment - it's pretty much the minimum requirements for a competent shooter, but it makes Bioshock one of the only competent corridor shooters in the past few years. Again, that doesn't make it a worthy successor to System Shock, but it isn't exaclty Halo either. Given that Wolfenstein has always been a shooter-series, rather than a hybrid game like the System Shock series, Bioshock wouldn't be a bad starting point.

Not this "it's good for what it is" shit again. Bioshock sucks. End of.

There's a difference between saying 'this is good for a a mediocre game', and saying 'if you like X genre, you'll like this'

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Black Cat said:
@Barrow_Bug

There is. Downloading Razor1911 release since yesterday evening.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Ok, I saw my brother playing for the first 2 missions. First thing first - this game wins the Worst Handholding in the History of Gaming Award. This is like every other shooter out there and they still make you learn every mechanic in the game... including the map. To procide you have to move the map, zoom in and out... after that they explain every fucking thing like docs, weapon upgrade, etc. WTF?

This game plays itself plays like a Call of Duty 2 clone whitout shame. Then first mission took us like 15min and we already have completed 7% of the game - LOL. Blaskowicz got the Hollywood treatment and now became "Badass Blaskowicz".

At least the killing part is done well, the german soldiers turn into a bloody pulp when you shoot a larger amount of bullets.

Unfortunetly my brother stoped playing after the second mission. They have taken the best part of Wolfenstein, now you have to collect information, meet people who will give you information... and other boring shit that makes me wonder why they gave this game the "Wolfenstein" title. MEH!

Luzur

Good Sir
so, is there any Puppies! perk?

learning the map = achievement unlocked?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom