Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotOR MMO Gameplay!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bi ... 82109.html

This game is gonna be awesome. For those who don't know there's gonna be interactive movies just like Mass Effect, where you don't have to do all that boring reading just to know what your character is gonna say. Sometimes you even have to make a choice! I know that sounds scary but it only affects what type of loot you get and there's gonna be a guide on the best choices to make within a week of release anyway.

It's all voice acted too! I'm glad because it really lets me be my character even though I sound exactly like the guy next to me. Oh, and there are cutscenes called Flashpoints where both characters in the group can talk! Woohoo!

The graphics look like Lego Star Wars, which is awesome since that's my favorite Star Wars game. KotOR 1 was too slow and 2 was too confusing.

The classes are cool too. There's the bounty hunter who runs around setting people on fire (like a Pyro in TF2) and the smuggler who can take cover. In an MMO! There's even a green outline of where to take cover because sometimes I get confused as to whether an area can be used for cover.

But no one is going to play those classes and they'll probably be forgotten because there are Jedi! Or, more accurately, Sith Warriors! You get to use a lightsaber (or lightsabers!) and choke people and use force lightning!

Awsome!

racofer

Thread Incliner
star.gif

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hopefully never, as I wouldn't tolerate seeing another part of my childhood being raped by mainstream juice magnates just to fill in their pockets, while witnessing people with a ESFer brain functionality arguing about how the moves made by whichever company that makes the game were necessary to adapt the franchise to today's target audience.

Lurkar

Scholar
Hahahahaha

"Remember your decisions matter"

AND YET IT IMMIDIATELY SHOWS HOW ALL THE DECISIONS LEAD TO THE SAME THING.

filogreek

Scholar
The choice to kill or forgive that Sith admiral in the later vid (or whatever) probably won't be that different from the choices present in other recent RPGs.
If they left him alive, he might have made a better-informed tactical decision than what his subordinate did (i.e. shoot down some of the republic assault pods instead of ignoring them). Whether this would merely affect the number of enemies you encounter, or have much far reaching consequences is not really known. Hopefully there will not be a set of 'optimal' decisions written in a guide a week later, though I guess that is being a little too optimistic for an MMO.

Of course when the Witcher has choices like this they are sooo much better eh? (ok fine, it has that morally gray and delayed results stuff blah blah)

MetalCraze

Arcane
And now imagine that thousands of people will complete these very quests again, again and again. With the same outcome because this is Bioware. Or just like with every other MMO they will just go and grind those stormtrooper-look-alikes for exp. What a fun game.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So if you fail, you have to go through all this scripted stuff again, including "lets go to work"-dialog? I guess real men will skip this faggy fully voiced dialog anyway to get moar xp per hour.
And all this group dialog is probably very cosmetic, you cant let 2-3 people actually participate, because some fag may screw the quest up.
Also every class seems to have group control spells, where's the point of mixing teams?

Deleted member 7219

Jaime Lannister said:
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/videos/gcom09_oldrepublic_spc1_082109.html

This game is gonna be awesome. For those who don't know there's gonna be interactive movies just like Mass Effect, where you don't have to do all that boring reading just to know what your character is gonna say. Sometimes you even have to make a choice! I know that sounds scary but it only affects what type of loot you get and there's gonna be a guide on the best choices to make within a week of release anyway.

It's all voice acted too! I'm glad because it really lets me be my character even though I sound exactly like the guy next to me. Oh, and there are cutscenes called Flashpoints where both characters in the group can talk! Woohoo!

The graphics look like Lego Star Wars, which is awesome since that's my favorite Star Wars game. KotOR 1 was too slow and 2 was too confusing.

The classes are cool too. There's the bounty hunter who runs around setting people on fire (like a Pyro in TF2) and the smuggler who can take cover. In an MMO! There's even a green outline of where to take cover because sometimes I get confused as to whether an area can be used for cover.

But no one is going to play those classes and they'll probably be forgotten because there are Jedi! Or, more accurately, Sith Warriors! You get to use a lightsaber (or lightsabers!) and choke people and use force lightning!

Awsome!

sounds kewl but i h8 rpgs lol (final fantasy too boring who plays dat shit rpgs suck lol)

shud have made a star wars fps like halo

Silellak

Cipher
Ugh. Watching the Bounty Hunter combat made me wince. Same typical MMO bullshit combat. I'll stand here and hit my hotkeys in the right order and hope the spec I've chosen is effective enough to win.

I think Bioware is in for a nasty surprise when they realize just how much of a pain it is to run an MMO and keep the classes properly balanced.

Of course, I could just still be bitter because we're getting this bullshit instead of a proper KotoR3.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Hobo Elf said:
jagged-jimmy said:
So if you fail

Stop right there. What is this "fail" you speak of?

I know its Bioware, but still there must be some "fire power" requirements. Trying solo should leed to fail atleast for some quests. Which is a must for a MMO by design.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
jagged-jimmy said:
Hobo Elf said:
jagged-jimmy said:
So if you fail

Stop right there. What is this "fail" you speak of?

I know its Bioware, but still there must be some "fire power" requirements. Trying solo should leed to fail atleast for some quests. Which is a must for a MMO by design.

B-but failure isn't fun. And this game isn't like most MMOs. See, it has a revolutionary cover system! And full VA! What more could you want?

TrustNo1

Scholar
"You'll take on multiple enemies at once, we want to make sure that the combat feels heroic from the beginning. You are to take on two, three, sometimes four enemies at once, again, you need to feel like a Star Wars hero from the beginning."

:roll:

I don't know, maybe thats how Starwars is "supposed to be like" or whatever.

Deleted member 7219

TrustNo1 said:
"You'll take on multiple enemies at once, we want to make sure that the combat feels heroic from the beginning. You are to take on two, three, sometimes four enemies at once, again, you need to feel like a Star Wars hero from the beginning."

Must be like when Han Solo runs into that room full of Stormtroopers on the Death Star and takes them all out single-handedly.

OH WAIT... he runs away, doesn't he?

Aradesh

Novice
Matt7895 said:
TrustNo1 said:

Must be like when Han Solo runs into that room full of Stormtroopers on the Death Star and takes them all out single-handedly.

OH WAIT... he runs away, doesn't he?
Prequels.

TrustNo1 said:

Positive side: it probably means you won't be killing rats for the first 10 levels like every other mmo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom